cange icon for c++ exe file

Status
Not open for further replies.

william

Journeyman
hi,

I'ce created a small dos console application with Dev-C++. To laucnch the application i simple double click a exe file which Dev-C++ generated. I was wondering how would i cange the image of this exe icon, to something that is more suitable for the nautre of the application

Thanks in advance
please help me

Gurdeep Singh

Right off the assembly line
U cannot directly change an icon for an .exe, instead you can make a shortcut to that exe. This shortcut (with .pif extension that is "Program Information File") further can be set for any icon and points to .exe so instead of clicking .exe use this .pif to execute your program.

program information file (PIF)
------------------------------
A file that provides information to Windows about how best to run MS-DOS-based programs. When you start an MS-DOS-based program, Windows looks for a PIF to use with it. PIFs contain such items as the name of the file, a start-up directory, and multitasking options (Source: WinXP HELP)

steps:

Goto the directory where .exe resides, right click anywhere in blank, choose new --> shortcut --> browse (browse .exe file) --> OK --> Next --> Select Title for .exe --> Select an Icon (can be changed later for custom icons) --> FINISH <-- DONE!!! you should now see a new file (.pif) with an icon you choose.

Alternatively right click .exe file --> choose "properties" --> click "program" tab --> click "change icon" button --> select listed icon or browse for your own. DONE!!! you should in this case also see a new file (.pif) with an icon you choose. Always execute .pif to run your application.

hope tis'll help

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can use IconCool Editor (*www.iconcool.com/icon-editor.htm).
you can change the icon to whatever icon you want , create effects like 3D
button, blurring, sharpering, gradient etc.,

OP
william

william

Journeyman
thanks friends your replys really helped me . after creating shortcut to exe file ( creating shortcut and then applying icon as told by gurdeep singh) i click on properties and the on change icon tab there from the default list i choose one icon but how can i apply my own created icon or any other that is not there in the list. usingh windows 98SE.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Man, just click on the browse button above the default list and then move to your icon file. thats it.
@QwertyManiac
C/C++ files are 16bit and ResHacker only supports 32bit files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom