Can we Save the Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero

Broken In
Hi everyone,
I use XP SP2 with windows automatic updates set to "Download but ask when to install" and Norton Antivirus is set to LIve Update itself.

I have a total updated system now I wish to know if Suppose I wish to format my system is there anyway to carry the updates to the next install from present install.

U may say to download updates individually and then to keep them for future But Norton will give me the definition downloads only and in windows updates I'll be on my own to decide which one's I want.

Is there a way to save the updates which are automatically downloaded to my system before I choose to install them manually.

I hope I could explain myself clearly if anything not clear kindly drop ur comments I'll edit the post.

zodiac_511

The CREATURE
One way is to update windows manually making note os the update numbers (eg KBXXXXX) Then search the ms site for it and download it.

Another easier option is To use Autopatcher XP (www.autopatcher.com)

This is available on most digit DVDS

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
All updates r stored in following folder:

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Just copy paste all folders under it and then run update.exe file to install updates again ;)

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Vishal Gupta said:

Just copy paste all folders under it and then run update.exe file to install updates again ;)

Hey Vishal, there r so many updates, do we need to run setup of each one individually ???

OP
zero

zero

Broken In
Vishal Gupta said:

Thanks for the Info I wanted that Only ... anyway as of Now I've reinstalled the system will do automatic updates and then will take a GHOST backup of partition so that next time onwards I'll start at least here upwards.

anandk

Distinguished Member
also check *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36612&highlight=save+updates

valtea

In the zone
thanks alot for the info. I think backing up %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download will be a better idea as autopatcher installs too many of the updates :).. Last time i installed it my system starts to become unstable. Maybe because of some other thing but i'll stick to the downlad that is there in my computer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom