Can the motherboard be replaced?

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hi folks,

Apparently my friend has been aching for a good gaming pc for a long time but fortunately or unfortunately, hi dad got him one. It's a pre-assembled one which goes by the name of "hp elite desk 800 G1 TWR" . He checked in Speccy and the config is:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i5 4570 3.20 GHz
4 GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4600
1 TB HDD Western Digital
Hewlett-Packard 18E4 (SOCKET 0) <- This is the motherboard description

So, he wants to know if this motherboard can be replaced with a better one so that he can put in a graphics card. I know he might need a PSU as well if GPU is an option, so give me all the details you can.

quicky008

Technomancer
Has your friend checked whether his current motherboard has any pci-e x16 slots or not?I looked up Hewlett-Packard 18E4 (SOCKET 0) online but couldn't find any info about its specifications,so its rather hard to say whether it will be possible to add a discrete gpu to this system or not.If the required pci-e slot is present then he can certainly add the gpu,otherwise he'll have no choice but to replace the motherboard.He has quite a powerful i5 cpu,so if he adds another 4gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card then his pc will be able to run all games with ease.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP - if you go by the datasheet available then yes, the motherboard should have pci-e x16 slot on which your friend can install a graphic card but it would be better if your friend can open up the case to take a look inside specially for availability of pci-e x16 slot and the PSU specs as it would determine which graphic card your friend can opt for. Or better post couple of snaps here of with cabinets side panel open :D

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi folks,

Apparently my friend has been aching for a good gaming pc for a long time but fortunately or unfortunately, hi dad got him one. It's a pre-assembled one which goes by the name of "hp elite desk 800 G1 TWR" . He checked in Speccy and the config is:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Intel Core i5 4570 3.20 GHz
4 GB Single Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4600
1 TB HDD Western Digital
Hewlett-Packard 18E4 (SOCKET 0) <- This is the motherboard description

So, he wants to know if this motherboard can be replaced with a better one so that he can put in a graphics card. I know he might need a PSU as well if GPU is an option, so give me all the details you can.

Hi [MENTION=56280]justme101[/MENTION],

For a GPU selection for unspecific model MOBO, I'd suggest you some basic steps to find the compatible GPU model for the system.

1) Check the type of PCI slot on the MOBO. Usually, MOBO has the PCI x16 slots supported with SLI and CrossFire technology.

2) You have to consider the length and height of the GPU. To easily Fit in the Casing because some GPU cards have their power sockets on their back edge.

3) Check the type of Connector on PSU, you need a PCI-E six pin connector for the GPU.

Finally, make sure your power supply has enough wattage for the existing components and to power your new graphics card.

Top Bottom