Can I run 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 on my AMD 64 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiapavan

Right off the assembly line
I just received the newest Ubuntu 8.10 yesterday. But it is not mentioned anywhere on the CD whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit. But I think it is 32-bit. Can I install it on my AMD 64 without any problems? Will it be the same?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
It's mentioned on the 'System Requirements' part of the cover too, on what platforms it would be able to run. :)

OP
indiapavan

indiapavan

I faced a small problem when I tried to boot from the CD. It said the 8254 timer setting is wrong or something. Try enabling the "noapic" option. Then it runs on live CD. But I am afraid to install it since it gave that problem at first. :confused:

satyamy

Alive Again...
A General theory
you can install both 32bit & 64bit OS on processor supporting 64bit
but you cant install 64bit on the processor supporting 32bit

OP
indiapavan

indiapavan

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :) I think I will wait anyways. Will wait until the next LTS is out at least. :)

powersum

hey dude.. i tried installlin t 32 bit one on my 64bit pc amd athlon, i hav 2 comps, single core amd and dual core amd, it gets stuck at 1 point, the cursor keeps on blinkin and gets stuck.. nothin else happens... do u know y is that?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
hey dude.. i tried installlin t 32 bit one on my 64bit pc amd athlon, i hav 2 comps, single core amd and dual core amd, it gets stuck at 1 point, the cursor keeps on blinkin and gets stuck.. nothin else happens... do u know y is that?

First verify whether the CD works properly on the 32bit system? Maybe your disc is scratched, that's the reason it gets stuck at one place.

I too faced an similar situation with Fedora 8, which turned out to be a scratched disc.

powersum

no.. ive checked it on amd sempron. it worked fine.... it works absolutely fine on 32 bit system, but in 64 bit, it stops...

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Stops where? It is a live cd, isnt it? During the boot process, when you see the loading graphics, hitting Esc or Atl+F1 will show the boot up in text mode. You can probably check there exactly at what point does it stops.

OP
indiapavan

indiapavan

no.. ive checked it on amd sempron. it worked fine.... it works absolutely fine on 32 bit system, but in 64 bit, it stops...

I recently faced the same problem while trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit on my friend's PC. It turned out that the disc was damaged. The problem was rectified when I used another disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom