Can I cross-fire non-boost 7950 with boost 7950 ?

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Guys.. a dumb question but just wanted to confirm. I've a Asus DCII HD7950 non-boost edition already. Will I be able to crossfire it with say "Sapphire HD7950 with Boost" ? I guess yes but please confirm.
Also can I try running these 2 cards on my TX650V2 or is it too risky?

And BTW... I'm not purchasing new 7950 :( My friend owns a Sapphire 7950 with boost but he'll be out of India for nearly 6 months from now so was looking for way to utilize it :p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can crossfire. You can even crossfire a HD 7950 with a HD 7970.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whats ur thought abt TX650V2 ? Too risky running 7950 crossfire on it ?
It will work fine. Asingh ran HD 4890 crossfire with an overclocked Core 2 Quad Q9550 on a TX650.

HD 7950 surely consumes less power than HD 4890. And then your i5-3570K isn't a power hog either.

You might need MOLEX converters though.

Cilus

laborare est orare
No, in Crossfire, you can run both the cards with different clock speed, they will not run at the speed of the lower one.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunno but I guess Asus would have released a BIOS update for your card which enables boost? Most HD 7950 got it. You should check.

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
There was an update to BIOS on 2012.10.18 . I;m not sure whether it changed anything or not. BTW how to check if Boost is enables or not ? I mean do we get any additional option in Catalyst Control center or how is it ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Download that BIOS and try opening it in Radeon BIOS Editor. (Don't flash, just open.)

Just open and see the clock levels.

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
.ROM files which are in the .exe which Asus gives are not supported by RBE it seems. There are 2 ROM files in the .exe if I open it with 7zip along with some other files and ATIWinFlash
113-C3810100-104.ROM
113-C3810100-106.ROM

Top Bottom