Can I convert my internal HDD To external? If so how?

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have an internal HDD 60 GB IDE. Can I convert this to an external HDD using case available.

How much would this cost and is it a good idea?

aniket.cain

Padawan
Yes, of course. You need to buy an external HDD casing for it. Just go to a computer hardware shop and ask for it. It will cost you around Rs. 500.
And though 60GB is not much these days, it can still be used as a backup for data. The downside is that it will have a power adapter of its own, and will be heavy and cumbersome to carry around.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
There are external Cases for SATA hdds too. But I'm not sure that You'll be having both IDE and SATA both in a single case.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have both external casing for IDE and SATA...its not possible to support both in single casing...

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@ajayritik: External Casings for IDE & Sata are available.....i m using my 40GB
HDD as external drive....in casing.....
they will cost u rs500~800

There are external Cases for SATA hdds too. But I'm not sure that You'll be having both IDE and SATA both in a single case.
yes i m using one having both options of SATA & IDE....

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
By having two options are you asking whether the same external case can be used for both SATA as well as IDE internal HDD?

israramrelia

Broken In
instead of buying a casing, i wud suggest a sata ide to usb adapter.... hv been using it since past 6months... best part is i can connect any IDE/SATA harddisk directly to USB using it...

and it will cost u around 350rs

sata ide to usb adapter - Google Search

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
instead of buying a casing, i wud suggest a sata ide to usb adapter.... hv been using it since past 6months... best part is i can connect any IDE/SATA harddisk directly to USB using it...

and it will cost u around 350rs

sata ide to usb adapter - Google Search

How about the portability of the Internal HDD. If we have an external casing don't you think it will be easier to carry around. I think your option would work if we don't intend to move the the HDD outside etc.

How about the portability of the Internal HDD. If we have an external casing don't you think it will be easier to carry around. I think your option would work if we don't intend to move the the HDD outside etc.

if portablity is an issue i highly recommend to go 4 130GB or 360GB transcend/segate external drive.

ur 60GB hdd might be too old and unreliable and small to act as backup drive.

else the SATA-USB adapter is good enough

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
if portablity is an issue i highly recommend to go 4 130GB or 360GB transcend/segate external drive.

ur 60GB hdd might be too old and unreliable and small to act as backup drive.

else the SATA-USB adapter is good enough

Dude where would I have to connect the power adapter? Do I need to open up my cabinet for this?

rajan1311

Padawan
is this a 3.5" HDD or 2.5" ? if it is a 3.5", then you will need to give external power to the hdd....which is bad imo..

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
is this a 3.5" HDD or 2.5" ? if it is a 3.5", then you will need to give external power to the hdd....which is bad imo..

Since mine is a desktop HDD so I assume its a 3.5". So maybe I have to go for external casing rather than the SATA/IDE USB connector as suggested by israramrelia

rajan1311

Padawan
the big deal is that you need to hook it up to an adapter for power,you need to look for a power socket near by, which is irritating,at least for me.....

Top Bottom