can a virus cause problem in dvd drive?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi i have a sony dvd writer and it has been giving me problem for sometime now.
what happens is that when i write a dvd every thing goes fine like the whole burning process is completed succesfully and data verification is also done but when i insert that dvd back in the drive it does not show in my computer.
when i double click on the drives icon it gives an error message that disc is not formated etc.
but when i insert that dvd in my friends computer it works fine.

i also took out the writer and took it to my vendor, he connected it to his computer and amazingly it was working fine there and it was reading all the dvd's.

my vendor says my system is infected with some virus and i need to format my system and not only C drive but all partition should be formatted.

now i have 250gb harddisk and i just cannot take any backup as my writer is not working.

is there any virus which has this kind of effect on dvd drives??????

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Problem is not in DVD but in ur system..probably the software / drivers have gone corrupt...so better format and reinstall everything...if u cannot pin pooint the problem s/w or driver......

ds_rajat

Broken In
Yes, try to uninstall & then re-install ur DVD burning software. Try another burning software to double check.

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
well i use nero 7 and i did uninstallit and reinstall it.also when i inserted dvd burned on other computer the drive did not read them in my computer.
well as for the driver i dont think there are any driver for the dvd drive all i can do is remove it in the device manager and the rescan drives to install it again.
and as for the firmware upgrade there is no firmware upgrade for the drive as it is OEM of sony.it's model no is not even listed on sony site. after research on google i found that my model no aw-g170 or smething like that was made by sony for some other company.

is there any virus named brontok that might have a hand in this????

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
Brontok is worm affecting WINDOWS OS. Its spreads through emails.

When Brontok is first run, it copies itself to the user's application data directory. It then sets itself to start up with Windows, by creating a registry entry in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key. It disables the Windows Registry Editor and modifies Windows Explorer settings. It removes the option of "Folder Options" in the Tools menu so that the hidden files, where it is concealed, are not easily accessible to the user. It also turns off Windows firewall. In some variants, when a window is found containing certain strings in the window title, the computer reboots. Using its own mailing engine, it sends itself to email addresses it finds on the computer, even faking the own user's email address as the sender. The computer also restarts when trying to open MS Dos in Windows and Downloading Files from the Internet. It also pop ups an Internet browser which is located in the my pictures folder.

SOURCE:

P.S=> format and reinstall OS

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
wizrulz said:
Brontok is worm affecting WINDOWS OS. Its spreads through emails.

When Brontok is first run, it copies itself to the user's application data directory. It then sets itself to start up with Windows, by creating a registry entry in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key. It disables the Windows Registry Editor and modifies Windows Explorer settings. It removes the option of "Folder Options" in the Tools menu so that the hidden files, where it is concealed, are not easily accessible to the user. It also turns off Windows firewall. In some variants, when a window is found containing certain strings in the window title, the computer reboots. Using its own mailing engine, it sends itself to email addresses it finds on the computer, even faking the own user's email address as the sender. The computer also restarts when trying to open MS Dos in Windows and Downloading Files from the Internet. It also pop ups an Internet browser which is located in the my pictures folder.

well nothing like that has happened to me and i don't see anywhere in ur post that it causes the dvd drive to behave in such odd manner as mine.
so i don't think it is a virus problem.
it might be driver problem or worst it cud be the motherboard problem.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
my post was ..because u wanted to know abt BRONTOK worm...:D

and i have posted my solution to ur problem....

FORMAT AND RE INSTAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom