Camera talk...

raja manuel

In the zone
Didn't understand this. Its a 75-200 zoom lens

Is this in relation to the length of the lens being longer than the focal length? Almost 5-6cm in the front is the folding lens hood.
Yep. Even accounting for the lens cap it does look long, but that might just be the perspective.

raja manuel

In the zone
2017 update for Japan’s camera market, which is considered a barometer for the rest of the region. 2016 data is in ().
DSLR
Canon 61.1% (63.3%)
Nikon 34.4% (31.6%)
Ricoh/Pentax 4.2% (4.8%)

Mirrorless
Olympus 27.7% (26.8%)
Canon 21.3% (18.5%)
Sony 20.2% (17.9%)

Lenses
Canon 21.9% (24%)
Sigma 16.2% (14.3%)
Tamron 13.7% (Nikon was in 3rd place with 12.5%)

Nikon has seen a bit of a rebound in the DSLR market but is still a long way behind Canon, and has even dropped out of 3rd place in the lens market. Canon is still staying ahead of Sony in the mirrorless segment.

Nikon is supposed to fire its big guns in 2018 with APS-C and full frame mirrorless cameras. Canon’s full frame is supposed to come later, but given that they’re conducting surveys of what photographers would want in a flagship mirrorless we may not see one this year. The lens mount question alone is enough to give a few sleepless nights. This year should be interesting.

sujoyp

Grand Master
2017 update for Japan’s camera market, which is considered a barometer for the rest of the region. 2016 data is in ().
DSLR
Canon 61.1% (63.3%)
Nikon 34.4% (31.6%)
Ricoh/Pentax 4.2% (4.8%)

Mirrorless
Olympus 27.7% (26.8%)
Canon 21.3% (18.5%)
Sony 20.2% (17.9%)

Lenses
Canon 21.9% (24%)
Sigma 16.2% (14.3%)
Tamron 13.7% (Nikon was in 3rd place with 12.5%)

Nikon has seen a bit of a rebound in the DSLR market but is still a long way behind Canon, and has even dropped out of 3rd place in the lens market. Canon is still staying ahead of Sony in the mirrorless segment.

Nikon is supposed to fire its big guns in 2018 with APS-C and full frame mirrorless cameras. Canon’s full frame is supposed to come later, but given that they’re conducting surveys of what photographers would want in a flagship mirrorless we may not see one this year. The lens mount question alone is enough to give a few sleepless nights. This year should be interesting.
How canon ahead in mirrorless market...i though there mirrorless is big flop

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
How canon ahead in mirrorless market...i though there mirrorless is big flop
As Raja mentioned, the numbers are of Japan only. Sony or some report claims that in US, Sony sold more number of ILC than Nikon. :chinscratch::chinscratch::chinscratch:

Being a market leader, they don't have to have a better product than their rivals always. Canon is a big player, have better distribution network.

Splendor/Activa sells more that doesn't mean they are the best in their segment.

raja manuel

In the zone
The original M received negative reviews for its slow autofocus, but even then carved a niche for itself in video. The subsequent Ms have been much more successful. It's not as if Sony hasn't received its share of backlash from users (if not from reviewers) such as alienating the astrophotography community with its 'star eating' algorithm.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Friend bought Sigma 85 1.4 art lens and finds that RAW files taken using this lens can't be pushed as much as photographs taken using Canon lens. Did anyone know or read about this?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Friend bought Sigma 85 1.4 art lens and finds that RAW files taken using this lens can't be pushed as much as photographs taken using Canon lens. Did anyone know or read about this?
Wow sigma 85mm 1.4 art...must be very costly
No nac didnt know about raw files from this

Reactions: nac

raja manuel

In the zone
I haven't heard about it, but it is not, in itself, surprising. When you pay less you usually get less. Whether there really is a material difference and where it lies could make for an interesting analysis, but we need a lot more information.
Was it a ceteris paribus comparison? What lenses were being compared? Sigma 85 f/.1.4 vs. Canon 85 f/.1.4? Was it a test of identical scenes in identical lighting?
How was the exposure done? Was the difference in t-stop, in any, corrected before testing?
What does push mean in this sense? Push exposure, sharpness, saturation? Is there more noise, colours going out of gamut?
What software was used to process the raw file? Did the software automatically pickup a lens profile for one lens but not the other? Adobe may work with the big manufacturers to tune ACR for their products. Canon's DPP also includes DLO which could make a difference.
What camera was used? I think some Canon DSLRs have DLO built in, which can also make a difference.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No, it's not side by side comparison, no identical subject, lighting, exposure or any settings. He just said Canon lenses, it can be 18-135 or even 70-200 f2.8 IS and no he doesn't have Canon 85 f1.4. Camera can be anything from 70D to 1DX MII. Didn't discuss much in detail. When he said that, it was something new to me. It's surprising to hear something like this after reading overwhelming amount of positive reviews of the lens.

Push in the sense increasing/decreasing exposure, contrast, saturation, highlights, shadows and all sorts of things. They predominantly using Photoshop for processing may be bit of Lightroom as well. He said it's more like working with the jpeg file than a RAW file.

I don't PP much and even when I do, I don't push things too much. I shot couple of shots with that lens and I find it's too sharp, in fact I wanted to soften it in post.

raja manuel

In the zone
The amount of difference he experiences (more like a JPG than a raw) is surprising. He could have got a bad copy of the lens, but without doing an apples to apples test the more likely causes are that he was processing a JPG and not a raw, or he is suffering from some type of buyer's remorse.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:D :D It's RAW.

That didn't sound like a buyer's remorse, more of an observation I would say.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Strange, i don't think the ability to push files depends on the lens at all. My guess is that the images came out low contrast (needs a lens hood) or there is some distortion (needs a lens profile in lightroom)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Strange, i don't think the ability to push files depends on the lens at all. My guess is that the images came out low contrast (needs a lens hood) or there is some distortion (needs a lens profile in lightroom)
May be a little strange. Remember Sujoy's photographs taken using Sigma telephoto zoom and do you see the photographs taken using his latest telephoto prime 300mm? He has posted some original photos for us to PP long back. I am sure 300mm prime photos would be lot of more pushable than Sigma telephoto zoom.

sujoyp

Grand Master
May be a little strange. Remember Sujoy's photographs taken using Sigma telephoto zoom and do you see the photographs taken using his latest telephoto prime 300mm? He has posted some original photos for us to PP long back. I am sure 300mm prime photos would be lot of more pushable than Sigma telephoto zoom.
Yaah i heard this resolution capability when nikon released there 36mp dslr..people said it need good lenses to get good capable pics

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Is the one on the side your old bag? That seems huge as well.

I've met lots of guys shooting professionally that have switched to mirrorless. The ones that don't usually say
- need live viewfinder
- want/have a huge selection of lenses
- weather sealing is needed

So it's more about comfort. everything else sony and olympus have caught up or surpassed.

Btw my 2nd hand 75-300 4.5-5.6 is here*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180114/6a1b1f355a67be194638edc3d64af9e0.jpg

Hamara bhi photoshoot karo kabhi yaar. Hum bhi Tom Cruise bane.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hamara bhi photoshoot karo kabhi yaar. Hum bhi Tom Cruise bane.
I am going to shoot my first prewedding this month...I have also asked them for a test shoot this sunday. I want to understand which lens, what focal length, how much flash, how much reflection, how to utilise my big reflector. Also I think 35mm 1.8 and 55-200 will be enough for it.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am going to shoot my first prewedding this month...I have also asked them for a test shoot this sunday. I want to understand which lens, what focal length, how much flash, how much reflection, how to utilise my big reflector. Also I think 35mm 1.8 and 55-200 will be enough for it.
Hey!!! Nice to hear.

All the best :thumbs:

It's a pre wedding shoot, you will have enough time to change lenses. So I would prefer/suggest to stick with prime lenses.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I took 35mm, 90mm and 55-200 ...I used 35mm in 90% shots ..and I was able to get sharp pics at f1.8 which is awesome since I never got that before ;)

flash was bit useful when sun was bit up to remove shadows...reflector was really really useful..this time it was test final shoot is on 24th :D

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Waiting for some of the shots. Like to see how you used the reflector and flash (i don't have those)

I usually end up shooting the entire thing with the 50mm at f/1.8 or f/2. Plus early morning light makes the shoot awesome fun

Top Bottom