Calling All Linux Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Points taken mr. "MetalheadGautham"...But it will be in my todo list as of now coz am busy ironing out bugs and all.And I may delay the release schedule if am not overall satified by what I promised above...Secondly,u must have seen a Blog section in the website,Ill not shy away from publishing the articles submitted by the users to me ALONG WITH THE DUE CREDIT to them !!!For the time being,it is only possible through email submission coz Id be manually screening them and would surely give it a space if found worth it.
Most importantly,I will be going gradually untill and unless someone is there to join me and help me technically.
Do keep the suggestions pouring in...

Points taken mr. "MetalheadGautham"...But it will be in my todo list as of now coz am busy ironing out bugs and all.And I may delay the release schedule if am not overall satified by what I promised above...Secondly,u must have seen a Blog section in the website,Ill not shy away from publishing the articles submitted by the users to me ALONG WITH THE DUE CREDIT to them !!!For the time being,it is only possible through email submission coz Id be manually screening them and would surely give it a space if found worth it.
Most importantly,I will be going gradually untill and unless someone is there to join me and help me technically.
Do keep the suggestions pouring in...
You want help ? Then count me in. Just tell me what to do and I will try my best to help you. :)

And one more thing: Try to get 1.0 out along with 8.10 Interpid Ibix. Hardy Heron is too unstable compared to previous ubuntu releases IMO.

And how about a custom compiled 2.6.26.3 kernel instead of the obsolete 2.6.24 found in ubuntu ?

and yeah, I need all your theme resources. I am in the process of designing a similar distro, but this is based on Debian Lenny. (will release it when lenny becomes stable).

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@Garbage, use thumbnails.

@wraj, nice. I assume the gtk is a fork of Slickeness. What about the icon set? Did you create it from scratch?

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
and for initial seeding, you can send DVDs to some members so that they can put on their computers.

@ Hitboxx...

Just copy paste from his blog with "" tag... :D

U know m lazy to upload n then create thumbnels of them :P

Last edited:
I think NucleusKore can help you design "Service Packs" :lol:
He is the offline package expert here.
Perhaps you could roll out monthly ISOs containing updates as an AptOnCD.
And yes, I hope you did NOT forget to include AptOnCD in your distro.

And AptOnCD ISOs of different package sets would be neat.

For example, you could release an AptOnCD package containing KDE stuff if the user wishes to use KDE. You could release an AptOnCD package containing ubuntu-studio packages too. These would enable people without internet connection to get a set of features on their distro.

This feature is NOT there in ANY newbie distro at the moment, so this is going to be another success point in your distro.

Tell me when the distro is bug fixed, and I can personally design this part for you.

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Awesome buddy...I myself was in dilemma if I should go with Hardy or should wait for Intrepid.You said it right,Hardy misbehaves a lot,even after installing 8.04.1 plus series of updates it DOESNT refuse to cry fowl...The live CD of mine hangs too after some couple of operations.And thats why I was not revealing the website in the begining coz I wanted to bring it once I was all DONE but..........
Anyway,if am able to tame the hardy,Ill release it at the earnest but if not I must be pardoned for some usual delay....
And seriously speaking,I didnt want to create any hype,hence I refrained from telling the site name.
I welcome ur process of coming up with ur own distro...Then y dont we collaborate (if u please)I am NOT hellbent to build it over Ubuntu but anything that seems good to me (but should NOT be frm the redhat and its derivatives)...This will also prevent us from creating a Distro clutter - The Truth of the day.Ill handle all the graphics,packaging,customization plus miscllaneous plus u do the kernel taming and whatever u feel like u are comfortable with.Consider it an open offer !!!

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Anyone can who think they can do it with needed perfection ...we can even conduct a meeting in the flesh if needed

Yes aptONcd is there too !!! I even thought launching the distro in a split fashion...I mean giving away the Main distro as an installable one plus aptONcd packages (named something like megapack or so)as the optional one who wanted it more than what has been bundled with the main release.

Yes Hitboxx,u guessed it right its slickness plus some remix done by me (changes wont show right now coz the screenshots are more than one month old and am lazy taking the fresh ones.Will do it when after the distro completion,not in the priority right now.

Last edited:
Awesome buddy...I myself was in dilemma if I should go with Hardy or should wait for Intrepid.You said it right,Hardy misbehaves a lot,even after installing 8.04.1 plus series of updates it DOESNT refuse to cry fowl...The live CD of mine hangs too after some couple of operations.And thats why I was not revealing the website in the begining coz I wanted to bring it once I was all DONE but..........
Anyway,if am able to tame the hardy,Ill release it at the earnest but if not I must be pardoned for some usual delay....
And seriously speaking,I didnt want to create any hype,hence I refrained from telling the site name.
I welcome ur process of coming up with ur own distro...Then y dont we collaborate (if u please)I am NOT hellbent to build it over Ubuntu but anything that seems good to me (but should NOT be frm the redhat and its derivatives)...This will also prevent us from creating a Distro clutter - The Truth of the day.Ill handle all the graphics,packaging,customization plus miscllaneous plus u do the kernel taming and whatever u feel like u are comfortable with.Consider it an open offer !!!

well, if we can colloborate, then I STRONGLY suggest there be TWO versions, debian stable and ubuntu.

Ubuntu w/gnome can be the vista type OS, for those with mordern systems and 2mbps broadband. Debian w/xfce can be the distro for the masses.

what do you say ?

one eye candy rich version and one light version, but both with same theme and simplicity.

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
cool enough....but why not both xfce and gnome over the same machine with diff desktop environment (like the dream linux did)...IMHO the base OS should be identical even it you want go go with diffrent versions...Im not sure with this so dont consider as a BIG NO !!!

but ur suggestion is worth thinking over,Just like Ubuntu,Xubuntu etc...all are different release with similar base but "Desktop Env"not installed in the same release...I got ur point...

Last edited:
cool enough....but why not both xfce and gnome over the same machine with diff desktop environment (like the dream linux did)...IMHO the base OS should be identical even it you want go go with diffrent versions...Im not sure with this so dont consider as a BIG NO !!!

but ur suggestion is worth thinking over,Just like Ubuntu,Xubuntu etc...all are different release with similar base but not installed in the same release...I got ur point...

well, debian and ubuntu are QUITE identical, I hope you remember that. ;)

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Of course they are...then whats the point of choosing Ubuntu over debian or vice versa...We can do one thing,I am almost done with my OS,hence I must release it when finally done...And in the mean time we must start working over ur proposal...Just like Ubuntu came first in the scene followed by the Xubuntu as the subsiquent one.what say

Of course they are...then whats the point of choosing Ubuntu over debian or vice versa...We can do one thing,I am almost done with my OS,hence I must release it when finally done...And in the mean time we must start working over ur proposal...Just like Ubuntu came first in the scene followed by the Xubuntu as the subsiquent one.what say

well, mine won't be out till debian lenny becomes stable.

the reason to choose debian over ubuntu for a light weight distro is simple:

its much more stable, has tiny updates, and is much faster on lower end systems.

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
No problem at all...We must have an initial release at first then gradually add more VERSIONS once the stable platform is out...

No problem at all...We must have an initial release at first then gradually add more VERSIONS once the stable platform is out...

In that case, you go first, with Ubuntu version. It looks almost ready. I am going to follow Debian's famous motto:

*bp2.blogger.com/_qBN_dFzAuCo/RzOhieiIJMI/AAAAAAAAAFE/fE_fkBIEN1Q/s400/debian-grolsch-vector.png​

OP
wraj

wraj

Random Scribbler !
Thats what I said...Mine is almost ready (can easily port it to Intrepid if the changes aren't major and some more opinions about 'Intrepid wait' comes in)...Lets see what happens...
And mine philosophy is also like DEBIAN,will release it only when I find it stable enough to bring it in the public domain...I dont mind making them wait

Thats what I said...Mine is almost ready (can easily port it to Intrepid if the changes aren't major and some more opinions about 'Intrepid wait' comes in)...Lets see what happens...
And mine philosophy is also like DEBIAN,will release it only when I find it stable enough to bring it in the public domain...I dont mind making them wait

Cool then. Best of luck with finishing it, because I can't do any work this month due to examinations. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom