Buying Optical drives

Which optical drives(dvd writer) to buy?

• Samsung SH-S203D

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • LiteOn LH20A1P

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Sony DRU 190A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony DRU-845s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS DRW-2014L1T

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
I am looking to buy an optical drives capable of burning CD and DVD media and that basically means the need is a DVD writer.

I am confused and can't decide which one to buy especially because one cannot rely on reviews anymore.

The better test to decided what to buy is reliability and users experience counts a lot so if you don't have any issues with the drives u have bought and think it appropriate to suggest it. Pls do so.

I don't want a fast drives which end its life fast too.

Pls suggest what model of dvd writer to go for which is currently available in the market.

pratik03

Journeyman
Samsung SH-S203D (SATA Interface)

Silent & fast. brought it 1 week before.

faster drive doesn't mean shorter life

capt.rej

Optimus Prime
Ya realdan...go for da Samsung SH-S203D
it costs around INR 1,200/- and is a steal at such a price fr the performance...
just make sure ur Motherboard has an empty SATA port...as this Writter sports the new SATA Interface...

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
nope samsung is not known for it quality. I am surprised no body recomended sony, or ASUS. I have used all DVD drives for years and I can say Sony never gave any problem in any department, then liteon (relatively) new, and recently I tried ASUS SATA DVD RW, is working like a charm for the past 6,7 months.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Lite-On LH20A1P is a noisy drive.Needs firmware update to read Dual Layer DVD's.Had it for close to a year.Didn't have major problem burning DVD's till now.Ocassional switch to PIO mode(once) & minor tray issue(2 times).That's about all that I have come across & nothing apart from that.It had failed 4 DVD's in a row once but I suppose I had a bad luck with those media.After that it had worked fine.;)

utsav

damn busy...
ASUS rocks without a glitch . i am very satisfied. I have lost three samsung octoedge drives so samsung is a big NO

channabasanna

In the zone
I have a SAMSUNG DVD Writer, which i have kept it away now as it is a junk. SAMSUNG has lot of problems in its tray. I have never used the Drive roughly like pushing the tray inside or inserting a pin to open the tray.
Whenever i press eject button it used to come after 3 or 4 presses of the button, so when in warranty i got it serviced from SAMSUNG. Again few months ago i had same issue.

So i decided to change the drive, hence brought a SONY DVD Writer, now when i just opened the tray of SAMSUNG i found that the Gears in the tray were broken for almost 1 inch of length.

I would say build quality of SAMSUNG optical drives is very bad. I even have seen the same issues in 2 of my friends system's.

I would say SONY.

OP
R

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
the thing is i have never ever bought a samsung...that was when people said about quality issues with their drives

so far i have only used sony, liteon..i should say i have issue with both..failed to read/write dvd in both the brands.

i still have sony dru-810a using it in another PC for more than a year at least..dont remember exactly when i bought it...

the Sony AW-G170A..that i bought wasnt reliable and failed to read/write dvd now..even when it was working it took longer to read dvd..which means slower than the dru-810a..at least in my case..or maybe i m just unlucky to have the problem

i bet the samsung drives model recommended is still very new and people may not have used it to the extent to judge its quality..isnt? oh! that particular model was recommended by digit as editors pick..

what about sony dru-845s? have anyone burnt heavily with it? is it performance and reliability good?

Last edited:

pratik03

Journeyman
samsung had quality issues & tray porblems in their older models
but in this new model (SH-S203D) tray quality, read/write speeds & overall build quality are much better than previous model
also it is much faster than my older sony drive

all other members blaming samsung try this model

Last edited:
OP
R

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
looks like this time samsung managed to get it right...from what i see

pratik03 subject the tray in and out mechanism to an intensive test :) ..maybe not on the one u have but somebody else

Lite-On LH20A1P is a noisy drive.Needs firmware update to read Dual Layer DVD's.Had it for close to a year.Didn't have major problem burning DVD's till now.Ocassional switch to PIO mode(once) & minor tray issue(2 times).That's about all that I have come across & nothing apart from that.It had failed 4 DVD's in a row once but I suppose I had a bad luck with those media.After that it had worked fine.;)

I have updated my firmware to the latest (KLOP)....but still digit dual layer dvds not reading on my drive.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I have updated my firmware to the latest (KLOP)....but still digit dual layer dvds not reading on my drive.

Download patch
Disconnect from the internet
Disable all antivirus, firewall, active defense, etc.
Run the patch
Reboot immediately after it's installed

Firmware: *www.mediafire.com/?yzflzi0icg0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom