Buying New PC - Urgent Advice Needed

avneet

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Will be used for learning / practicing ( tools like Oracle / Cognos BI / Abinitio / SAS Enterprise etc ... I am a software professional BTW) , watching HD Movies , Video Encoding ( i shoot at 1080p), Photoshop + Lightroom fr my DSLR.. Virtualization ( for my Unix / Win 2008 server environment ) etc to name a few..

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 50k(Max)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Not now, but will do if need arises to squeeze more juice..

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: I dont need HDD since i already have 1 TB WD SATA II. Need advice for buying additional SSD ( 60GB/120GB SATA II or III ) for OS & Apps.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Already have a Samsung Syncmaster P2370MS.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Never done , but keen on building this one..

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Tommorow.. Thats makes for the Title 'Urgent Advice'

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yea, at this budget who doesnt..

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Graphics Card.. I have plans to buy it later.. No Mouse , KB & Monitor..

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: I live in GZB. NP , Delhi will be the place where i'll do my shopping..

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I have already figured out some of the components. I need suggestions for the reputed & reliable dealer/shops in NP quoting lowest/best price.

Processor : Intel Core i5 2500k

MB : Asus P8Z68 V-Pro

Ram : Corsair Vengeance 8GB(4GB X 2) 1600 Mhz DDR3 Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
I enquired abt this ram kit and its nt available. A local dealer suggested me to go for individual 4GB modules. How does GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Kit compares to corsair vengeance. Any major performance difference b/w the two.How is GSkill service & warranty. I trust corsair to the core.. :)

PSU : Corsair TX650 V2

Cooler : CM Hyper 212 Plus

Cabinet : CM HAF 912 Advanced

SSD : SATA 2 or SATA 3.. will Asus Z68 mobo wil utilize the SATA 3 speeds in case i go for SATA 3 SSD. How abt the size .. will 60GB enuf for OS+APPS ??

Suggestions are welcome on the above components... I'll be out tomorrow in Nehru Place for buying all the stuff..

Cilus

laborare est orare
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 15.8K
CM N620 CPU Cooler @ 2.5K
MSI Z68A-GD65-B3 @ 10K
Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4 GB 1600 MHz X 2 @ 3.5K
CM 690 II Plus @ 4.8K
Corsair TX650V2 @ 5.2K
Kingston SSD 64 GB_SV100S2/64G @ 6.6K
LG 22X SATA DVD R/W @ 0.9K

Total 49.3K. i7 2600K is a better choice due to its Hyper threading and capability of processing 8 Threads simultaneously.Video Encoding ( i shoot at 1080p), Photoshop + Lightroom and other multithreaded applications will see high performance boost.

Replace the Vengeance with Ripjaw X. Although performance wise both are almost on the same league, due to the bigger size of Vengeance, it creates problem when a big aftermarket cooler is isntalled in CPU.

Last edited:
OP
A

avneet

Thanks for the suggestion Cilus.I will check them considering the availability. May i know why you mentioned MSI mobo...

Souro_Ray

In the zone
@Cilus da,

I think you mean i7 2600K... And CM N620 is very difficult to find now i heard.. Is it still available? Cheers bro

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Intel Core i5 2600K @ 15.8K
CM N620 CPU Cooler @ 2.5K
MSI Z68A-GD65-B3 @ 10K
Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4 GB 1600 MHz X 2 @ 3.5K
CM 690 II Plus @ 4.8K
Corsair TX650V2 @ 5.2K
Kingston SSD 64 GB_SV100S2/64G @ 6.6K
LG 22X SATA DVD R/W @ 0.9K

Total 49.3K. i7 2600K is a better choice due to its Hyper threading and capability of processing 8 Threads simultaneously.Video Encoding ( i shoot at 1080p), Photoshop + Lightroom and other multithreaded applications will see high performance boost.
Replace the Vengeance with Ripjaw X. Although performance wise both are almost on the same league, due to the bigger size of Vengeance, it creates problem when a big aftermarket cooler is isntalled in CPU.

Nice config.But change the cooler to Noctua U12PSE2@3.8K or Coolermaster Hyper 212+@2.2K[/B].Its Its Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @3.35K at Primeabgb.

Cilus

laborare est orare
@Cilus da,

I think you mean i7 2600K... And CM N620 is very difficult to find now i heard.. Is it still available? Cheers bro

Thanks bro, edited my post. And ya, in smcinternational, N620 is available. It is better than Hyper 212+.

OP
A

avneet

Thanks bro, edited my post. And ya, in smcinternational, N620 is available. It is better than Hyper 212+.

I went to NP for buying PC components.Had a bad day but still managed some of them.. Wasnt able to find CM620 anywhere.. Its out of stock!!

Bought these from SMC (Gurmeet)

I5 2500k - 10,700

Asus P8Z68 V-Pro.. Out of stock this whole week all over NP.. Its selling like hot cakes these days.. Even Rashi Tech didn't have this..Expected to come next week somewhere around wednesday.

CM Hyper 212+ with Additional 120mm LED fan... ( I was thinking to attach the optional fan to 212+ , thus making it equivalent to N620)
1800 + 400

Corsair Vengeance.. 4Gb * 2 - 3800
Gskill Kit wasnt available , neither was the corsair 8GB Kit.. Had to settle with two individual 4 Gb's. Would there be a problem running them in Dual channel mode..

Corsair TX650 V2 - 5500 ( I thought of 750 V2, but settled with 650 since i'll nt be using more than 1 GFX card).

Cabinet : HAF 912 Advanced.. - 5800 ( One hell of a cabinet , loved it...)

UPS : APC 1100 VA 660 WATT BACK UPS from Alsun Computers ( 4400 Rs )

SSD : I dint find OCZ 60 Gb..?? i'm thinking of ordering it online..

Top Bottom