Buying harddisk- Questions

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
I am interested in buying internal harddisk for my old aging laptop.

I was thinking in the terms of 1tb but someone told me in 32 bit computer there is a limit for only 500gb of harddisk. Is it true???

and what if i buy external harddisk and connect it via usb then will it be detected???

Help

> there is no such relation between size of hard disk and OS architecture.

> External hard disks are meant for that exact purpose :)

flyingcow

Shibe

I was thinking in the terms of 1tb but someone told me in 32 bit computer there is a limit for only 500gb of harddisk. Is it true???

and what if i buy external harddisk and connect it via usb then will it be detected???

Help

As harshil said there is no such thing that 32 bit has 500gb capacity, 32 bit has RAM capacity though (3.x GB only can be used for 32bit proccy)
yes it will be detected, given that you have no faulty usb port etc

OP
G

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
Thanks guys....
You rock

Just one more question....
which one should i buy if i go for internal or external

suggestions for both would be appreciated....

flyingcow

Shibe
if you do a lot of sharing(big files like games etc) with your buddies then go for external, else go for internal, external has less speeds than internal. and internals are cheap too :)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Food for thought, guys!!! Better study before replying:

In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system’s base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS.

This article outlines Microsoft support across all Windows versions since Windows XP. It also describes the requirements to address the full storage capability of these devices.

Note that this article refers to disk capacity in powers of two instead of powers of 10, which is the more common designation on storage device capacity labels. Therefore, references to “2 TB” actually refer to a product that is labeled as having “2.2 TB” of capacity.

Also note that the operating system-specific behavior that is noted in this article also applies to the server variants of that system. Therefore, a reference to “Windows 7” includes Windows Server 2008 R2, “Windows Vista” includes Windows Server 2008, and “Windows XP” includes Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2.

More information
The management of modern storage devices is addressed by using a scheme called Logical Block Addressing (LBA). This is the arrangement of the logical sectors that constitute the media. "LBA0" represents the first logical sector of the device, and the last LBA designation represents the last logical sector of the device, one label per sector. To determine the capacity of the storage device, you multiply the number of logical sectors within the device by the size of each logical sector. The current size standard is 512 bytes. For example, to achieve a device that has a capacity of 2 TB, you must have 3,906,250,000 512-byte sectors. However, a computer system requires 32 bits (1s and 0s) of information to represent this large number. Therefore, any storage capacity that is greater than what can be represented by using 32 bits would require an additional bit. That is, 33 bits.

The problem in this computation is that the partitioning scheme that is used by most modern Windows-based computers is MBR (master boot record). This scheme sets a limit of 32 for the number of bits that are available to represent the number of logical sectors.

The 2-TB barrier is the result of this 32-bit limitation. Because the maximum number that can be represented by using 32-bits is 4,294,967,295, this translates to 2.199 TB of capacity by using 512-byte sectors (approximately 2.2 TB). Therefore, a capacity beyond 2.2 TB is not addressable by using the MBR partitioning scheme.

To make more bits available for addressing, the storage device must be initialized by using GPT. This partitioning scheme lets up to 64 bits of information be used within logical sectors. This translates to a theoretical limitation of 9.4 ZB (9.4 zettabytes, or 9.4 billion terabytes). However, the issue that affects GPT is that most currently available systems are based on the aging BIOS platform. BIOS supports only MBR-initialized disks to start the computer. To restart from a device that is initialized by using GPT, your system must be UEFI-capable. By default, many current systems can support UEFI. Microsoft expects that most future systems will have this support. Customers should consult with their system vendor to determine the ability of their systems to support UEFI and disks that have storage capacities that are greater than 2 TB.

Source: Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB

> there is no such relation between size of hard disk and OS architecture.

> External hard disks are meant for that exact purpose :)

:facepalm:

As harshil said there is no such thing that 32 bit has 500gb capacity, 32 bit has RAM capacity though (3.x GB only can be used for 32bit proccy)
yes it will be detected, given that you have no faulty usb port etc

:facepalm:

Help

Read my post and you will understand all that you need to!!! :-D

OP
G

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
So i can upgrade to 2 tb????

i have a Compaq presario v3239 laptop year 2007 model with windows vista service pack 3
32 bit of course and according to windows experience index cpu is not 64 bit compatible....

now suggest something

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
So i can upgrade to 2 tb????

i have a Compaq presario v3239 laptop year 2007 model with windows vista service pack 3
32 bit of course and according to windows experience index cpu is not 64 bit compatible....

now suggest something

Yes, you can upgrade to 2 TB... What are your needs, btw??? If you need portability, external HDDs are the way to go whilst for speed, choose internal HDDs!!! :-D

flyingcow

Shibe
:rolleyes:@powerhoney i was telling from my own experience, i used to use 2 tb hdd for my system (32 bit) and had no problems so i said op to go for it and btw that is an mbr limitation you still can use >2tb by initializing hdd via guid partition table
so seems like someone else needs to do some research :wink: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
@powerhoney i was telling from my own experience, i used to use 2 tb hdd for my system (32 bit) and had no problems so i said op to go for it
so "technically" this statement made by me is correct "there is no such thing that 32 bit has 500gb capacity"
but thanks for the info and i will research before giving any answers

No hard feelings, mate... :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
summary of @powerhoney long post above:
as long as hdd is not larger than 2tb & not used as a boot device there is no issue.UEFI is required only for windows vista/7/8 64bit os boot from a GPT drive.if larger than 2tb hdd is secondary hdd then windows 7/8 can initialize it using GPT without any need for UEFI.linux & BSD can boot from a GPT hdd on a non-UEFI system.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
as long as hdd is not larger than 2tb & not used as a boot device there is no issue.UEFI is required only for windows vista/7/8 64bit os boot from a GPT drive.if larger than 2tb hdd is secondary hdd then windows 7/8 can initialize it using GPT without any need for UEFI.linux & BSD can boot from a GPT hdd on a non-UEFI system.

Thanks for adding the summary!!! :)

OP
G

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman

Now I'm confused if the harddisk is used as boot device then what???

because i guess as usual the primary boot device would be the internal hdd itself i guess....

I'm no expert. Please explain

I just wanted a simple answer will 2 tb work with mbr and the hard disk will be used as a boot device too... as usual i guess
if no then what's the limit for upgrading a harddisk for the above criteria...

thanks

bumper

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Now I'm confused if the harddisk is used as boot device then what???

because i guess as usual the primary boot device would be the internal hdd itself i guess....

I'm no expert. Please explain

I just wanted a simple answer will 2 tb work with mbr and the hard disk will be used as a boot device too... as usual i guess
if no then what's the limit for upgrading a harddisk for the above criteria...

thanks

bumper

Okay, simple answer... You can use any hard disk of capacity less than 2 TB without any problem... It can be used as a secondary hard drive as well as a primary boot hard drive... :)

If, in the unlikely case, you purchase a HDD with storage capacity greater than 2 TB, then you need to understand all the jargon that was written in my post...
So, in conclusion:
A. If less than 2 TB, purchase the HDD!!!
B. If greater than 2 TB, read that post!!!
:-D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
even more simpler answer:
hard disk=2tb or less as boot device works in old mbr systems.
hard disk more than 2tb works fine as secondary hard disk in old mbr systems.
only hard disk more than 2tb don't work as boot disk in old mbr systems.

Top Bottom