buying console- PS3 or xbox 360 ?? :O

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
A few questions on PS3 as a dedicated media player.
1. Is the PS3 Region locked for Bluray discs?
2. Can I play DVD's/ VCD ( critical ) ?
3. Can it play the popular media files ?
4. is it worth to buy a PS3 or to buy a new ( DVD Player + WD TV Live )

Thanks

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Blu-ray disks and games are NOT region locked. PS3 will play normal DVD movies fine.
It won't play every media format your throw at it. That's something only WD TV Live is capable of. With Sony for videos, you generally have to stick with MP4.

Here's the list of media formats supported: PlayStation 3 system software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sarath

iDota
1. Is the PS3 Region locked for Bluray discs?
Yes. Movies are region locked but games are not. Again DLCs are region locked.
When buying DLCs you have to buy it from the regional PS Store. That is why most people with UK accounts could DL DLCs, since games shipped to India carry the same or are the same games that are supplied to UK /Europe [This is before Indian PS Store opened]. The Japanese games are the most painful to source their DLCs. {In short country where you bought the game has to be the country (store) where you buy the DLC}
Again I have vaguely read that only Blu-Rays are region locked and not the DVDs. This you will have to confirm yourself with the aid of the interweb (I am not sure about this)
Going by the same, I feel the PS3s sold in India are region locked to EU but that is just my assumption

2. 2. Can I play DVD's/ VCD?
Yes, if you mean normal video disks. For self made disks check the supported formats

3. Can it play the popular media files ?
These are the formats supported
Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)
PS3™ | Types of files that can be played

4. is it worth to buy a PS3 or to buy a new ( DVD Player + WD TV Live )
That depends if the formats you use fall out of that list. As simple as that. For eg: mkv is not supported.

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
If you're concerned about money, you may want to try this. My cousin buys used games from ebay, and when he is done with it, he sells it back online for a few bucks less. You may want to try that. Saves a lot of money.

Edit: Noticed the original post date, The OP's probably not seeing this.

Last edited:
OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
thx sygeek and asingh :D
my friend already bought PS3 last week. but i am still thinking :O

is there any chance of new jb/cfw/modchip getting released in next 6 months for PS3?? i sold my PC so my only gaming rig will be a PS3 or xbox 360 whatever i buy.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Why do you need a jailbreak? I dont think anything is going to be out soon. But in 2012 maybe the Next Gen consoles itself might be released?

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i am thinking about buying xbox 360 this time as PS3 160GB slims are already out of stock [all 3 of them on letsbuy] :( i am waiting for last 10 days but they are not being restocked. i will buy PS3 later next yr [if it gets jb by that time]

can any1 tell me about reliability of X360s ?? is there any possibility of getting RROD or similar problem ?? in 1st year ?

Sarath

iDota
Why do you need a jailbreak? I dont think anything is going to be out soon. But in 2012 maybe the Next Gen consoles itself might be released?

I think the xbox successor will be first again. Sony has hardly profited from the PS3.

As of now both Xbox ans PS are almost the same. Xbox more for online services and PS3 for the exclusives. See where your priorities are.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont want online gameplay and there is no PS3 xclusive for me xcept god of war 3.

can any1 tell me about reliability of new consoles ?? like failure rate of new x360 slims in 1st year?? can i just buy a new console and mod it within few days or wait for 1yr while its covered with warranty?

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i asked that console modding guy :( he'll charge me 2k to mod X360. he's suggesting me to buy X360 slim 4GB modded for 16.5k from him.
he's charging Rs5k for modding PS3 with 15 games installed on HDD..

what should i do?? is it worth paying 2k everytime a new X360 hack releases?? or get PS3 and jailbreak it?

he confirmed RDR and God of war 3 will work on jailbroken 3.55

Sarath

iDota
That is too much for a software hack. Also all new games require the latest updates, creating problems for many.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
so what should i do?? buy xbox 360 modded 4GB for 16.5k from him [he says there will be no warranty but i can test that modded console before buying]

or should i buy ps3 320gb move for 16.8k ?? [but he'll charge 5k to mod it with 15 games

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
i bought PS3 160GB slim with free FUEL game from letsbuy.com @ Rs15,149 by using 1000/- off discount coupon. ordered last friday. it'll take 8-10 working days to deliver O_O

now i have some more doubts,

i will use HDMI to DVI to connect PS3 to my LCD which has only DVI and VGA ports. but how can i connect my speakers?? both LCD and my external speakers use 3.5mm jack for audio. what should i do?

can i use analog audio (Red and White RCA jacks) to 3.5mm converter? with HDMI output for video and analog for sound? will it work together without any issues?? :(

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
i bought PS3 160GB slim with free FUEL game from letsbuy.com @ Rs15,149 by using 1000/- off discount coupon. ordered last friday. it'll take 8-10 working days to deliver O_O

now i have some more doubts,

i will use HDMI to DVI to connect PS3 to my LCD which has only DVI and VGA ports. but how can i connect my speakers?? both LCD and my external speakers use 3.5mm jack for audio. what should i do?

can i use analog audio (Red and White RCA jacks) to 3.5mm converter? with HDMI output for video and analog for sound? will it work together without any issues?? :(

you can use the bundled analog cabled for audio. I have read the same in this forum, but not sure about the correct thread.

OP
happy17292

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
will it work at same time even when i use HDMI for video??

i mean my old DVD player had a VGA output. but if i connect a monitor on VGA, it turns off the composite output [red, white and yellow cables of CRT TV]

Top Bottom