(Buying advice) Router 1k - 1.5k

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
if you buy a wireless adsl modem like TP-link W8961 then there will be no need to buy a wifi router separately.

So since this one is a wireless Router + Modem, could i then also connect net on PC through ethernet cable (i mean does this have a slot for that) knowing my PC dont have a wifi capability

And whatever s/w i get in Resource CD with this router + Modem.. can i get this s/w on their site or somewhere as my DVD rom is not working atm

shreymittal

Being Human
So since this one is a wireless Router + Modem, could i then also connect net on PC through ethernet cable (i mean does this have a slot for that) knowing my PC dont have a wifi capability

And whatever s/w i get in Resource CD with this router + Modem.. can i get this s/w on their site or somewhere as my DVD rom is not working atm

Correct..:)

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry but i want to confirm it again:
Are u sure that i have adsl2 connection or whatever which this router + modem support? As i hav a pretty old connection.. my modem is sam 300 ax that is wid mfd of 2008.. so at that time adsl2 connection were use na?

Lol sorry again but i dnt want to be in a situation of spen
ding 2k and getting to know that it wud not support my connection
If i will get confirmation frm u guys today/tmrw morning i will order it frm flipkart or buy it locally if it suits my tmrw plan.. qm in a bit hurry

Sorry but i want to confirm it again:
Are u sure that i have adsl2 connection or whatever which this router + modem support? As i hav a pretty old connection.. my modem is sam 300 ax that is wid mfd of 2008.. so at that time adsl2 connection were use na?

Lol sorry again but i dnt want to be in a situation of spending 2k and getting to know that it wud not support my connection
If i will get confirmation frm u guys today/tmrw morning i will order it frm flipkart or buy it locally if it suits my tmrw plan.. am in a bit hurryy as my old modem has stopped working and am psting this from my phone

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have a connection from bsnl/mtnl/airtel/reliance then it is ADSL for everyone else it is cable broadband.btw 8961 is modem+router meaning it can be used on both adsl connection as well as cable broadband.also bsnl started giving adsl connection in 2005.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I have got but cant configure it so need help again

As i dnt have cd rom i am using their web based quick setup wizard

So which connection type i shud select: dyanic ip address, static ip, pppoe/pppoa, bridge mode
Then what shud be vpi and vci and connection type: pppoe llc, pppoe vc-mux, pppoa llc or pppoa vc-mux( these options came when i selected pppoe/pppoa)

Then shud access point be enabled or disabled?
And broadcast SSID be on or off

Please answr all above knowing i am using MTNL broadband in delhi

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I have got but cant configure it so need help again

As i dnt have cd rom i am using their web based quick setup wizard

So which connection type i shud select: dyanic ip address, static ip, pppoe/pppoa, bridge mode
Then what shud be vpi and vci and connection type: pppoe llc, pppoe vc-mux, pppoa llc or pppoa vc-mux( these options came when i selected pppoe/pppoa)

Then shud access point be enabled or disabled?
And broadcast SSID be on or off

Please answr all above knowing i am using MTNL broadband in delhi

You have mtnl username and password? Google mtnl settings you get many results

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for mtnl/bsnl/any phone line based net connection select type as pppoe & pppoe-llc.for mtnl vpi & vci values are 0 & 32 respectively.turn off broadcast ssid for security reasons.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Tried this on online wizard but no luck.. am getting a yellow warninh sign on comp icon in bottom left of screen which displaying no internet connection

And when i tried thru easy setup assistant(provided in vd) every thing goes fine till last step i.e. confoim setting
In this step it shows an error while "Verifying router settings..."
FAILED TO VERIFY ROUTER SETTINGS
1. please check wan connection type and parameter
2. Please check your network connectivity and retry( error :020)

Another point noting is when i go to local area network it is showing that it is reveiving and sending data : sent -149,867 & reveived: 338879

So i thing lan driver mein to koi problem nahi hogi

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
confirm that you can open modem settings page by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser.if you can't then first set manually your ip to 192.168.1.4(just an example) & then confirm you can open 192.168.1.1.after that run wizard again.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah i can open it on browser
the online wizard which is explained on the mannual is done by opening 192.168.1.1 only

So yes i can open 192.168.1.1 on browser

And as i told u that in local area network its showing that its receiving data and sending so i reckon their is no problem in cables.. am i correct?

Yeah i can open it on browser
the online wizard which is explained on the mannual is done by opening 192.168.1.1 only

So yes i can open 192.168.1.1 on browser

And as i told u that in local area network its showing that its receiving data and sending so i reckon their is no problem in cables.. am i correct?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in your modem device info/status page what is the status of connection.in fact i suggest ditching wizard altogether & configure connection manually.go to interface setup---internet settings.there select pvc1 & then disable/deactivate it.do it for all pvc except pvc0.after disabling all other pvc now when you select pvc0 configure it by using values i mentioned above & rest as default.enter your mtnl username & password & click on save.now on clicking pvc summary you should see a screen mentioning pvc0 as active with vpi & vci values & status up.

P.S.do above only if any one of the 3 lights on your tp-link are not active(power,adsl,internet)

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I have figured out that problem: i was entering wrong username and password :MyBad

But now there is another problem
When i disable authentication type it works fine on my phone and pc

but when i use WPA-2-PSK security and and TKIP/TES in encryption, this router doesnt even shows up on my phone
am i doing anything wrong?

PS: i am using SIII

UPDATE:
That problem has been sorted as well and thanks you all specially whitestar and shrey for helping me buy and configuring this router modem

BUT now what?
I mean i read it somewhere that irst thing we shud do is upgrade the firmware.. how to do that and from whre to do that? or actually do i need it?

And i have used WPA2-PSK security.. is it alright? though i have disabled broadband ssid too

shreymittal

Being Human
I have figured out that problem: i was entering wrong username and password :MyBad

But now there is another problem
When i disable authentication type it works fine on my phone and pc

but when i use WPA-2-PSK security and and TKIP/TES in encryption, this router doesnt even shows up on my phone
am i doing anything wrong?

PS: i am using SIII

UPDATE:
That problem has been sorted as well and thanks you all specially whitestar and shrey for helping me buy and configuring this router modem

BUT now what?
I mean i read it somewhere that irst thing we shud do is upgrade the firmware.. how to do that and from whre to do that? or actually do i need it?

And i have used WPA2-PSK security.. is it alright? though i have disabled broadband ssid too

Your welcome bro.
Yes you need to update the f/w because of bugs and errors
Make sure your router is on power backup if power goes in between you will end up with dead router.
Step to Upgrade your Router F/W
Now go to
TP-Link website -> Support -> Download -> Select your Router ]
make sure which version you have
To check your version *www.tp-link.in/support/download/?pcid=201&model=TL-WR740N&version=all

Select your router and d/w all the firmware then open your in browser enter Username and password - admin (in both)
Select System Tools
Them f/w upgrade
Then upgrade 1 by 1

Last edited:
Top Bottom