Buying a new PC..... help needed please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,
i'm in the process of coming up with a config for a new pc and need help on deciding a motherboard............ i'm gonna be using the pc for some gaming, watchin' movies and general surfing................. although i'm no extreme gamer and cant afford any of those high-end stuff!!!!:( :(

so here's what i've come up with..............
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Mobo: Intel DG965RY
Ram: 1GB DDR2
HDD: 250GB Samsung or Seagate
Graphics Card: thinking of not buying one right now and going directly for a DX10 card when they become affordable

now, here's where i need help
when digit reviewed 2 G965 bords in Nov-2006 they performed very badly and digit advised to rather buy a 945 board!!!..... but those boards were from Gigabyte and the one mentioned above is a Intel original board.... is it likely perform better???

also incase u guys advise me to go for a P965 board (like digit does), then please also suggest a P965 board within 6K and also an inexpensive 128-256 MB PCI-E Graphix card..... which i would use only as a stopgap until i can afford a DX10 card.......

last one......... are P965 boards available in Bangalore?????????
coz when i went to SP Road last week..... no one there seemed to have even heard of it........... all were showing me 945 boards and 1 guy mentioned the G965RY board!! so if anyone knows where i can get a P965 board in B'lore pleeeeeeezzz let me know

this job of finding a config is driving me crazy!! :confused: :confused: and since my old pc got hit by lightening i'm suffering without a pc for past 2-3 weeks!!!! :( :(
so guys please help!!!!!!!!!!

and thanks for the help............... much appreciated!!!!!:p :p

assasin

Banned
k.u cant get a P965 mobo for 6k.cheapest is MSI P965 NeoF will cost bout 7k.its a good mobo.if u want onboard gfx then go for Asus P5B-VM which costs bout 7.2k.if u wanna oc then i'll suggest u go for Asus P5N-E SLi which retails for 8.2k.

E4300/E4400 will be better when compared to 6320,but if u want 4mb L2 then buy 6420.
i'll suggest u buy E4300/E4400 and use the xtra cash to buy a good mobo.

assasin

Banned
^^^ cuz E4300/E4400 r better overclockers,run cooler and r VFM.
just go thru some reviews on the net and u'll get a better idea.even i had plans to buy a E6300/E6320 but changed my plans and got a E4300.

Pathik

Google Bot
yea i read that... 4300/4400 are better overclockers than 6xx0 cos they have 800mhz fsb...
but doesnt the 2mb l2 cache hurt??

assasin

Banned
4MB L2 of 6320 gives only a 2-5% performance gain in most daily life apps.so i dont think its logical to spend the xtra cash.

OP
P

preethesh.shetty

Broken In
assasin said:
k.u cant get a P965 mobo for 6k.cheapest is MSI P965 NeoF will cost bout 7k.its a good mobo.if u want onboard gfx then go for Asus P5B-VM which costs bout 7.2k.if u wanna oc then i'll suggest u go for Asus P5N-E SLi which retails for 8.2k.

E4300/E4400 will be better when compared to 6320,but if u want 4mb L2 then buy 6420.
i'll suggest u buy E4300/E4400 and use the xtra cash to buy a good mobo.

Hi..... thnx for the reply......

hmm.... well 7k for MSI board is not bad but are the MSI boards reliable....they seem have a bad reputation in B'lore...........
and about P5B-VM, i'm guessing it's based on G965.... but is G965 really as bad as digit suggests???

btw, i'm not so big on overclocking........ would u still suggest me to go for 4300??? also, i read at TechSpot that even at normal frequencies 4300 is almost as good as 6300!!! so 4300 really does seem very attractive!!!!! but what is that virtualization technology that 6300 has and 4300 doesnt???

assasin

Banned
normal desktop users dont need VT.so go for E4300.and if u dont wanna oc then buy Intel DG965RY/DG965WH.
performance of P965 is better than G965.

OP
P

preethesh.shetty

Broken In
assasin said:
normal desktop users dont need VT.so go for E4300.and if u dont wanna oc then buy Intel DG965RY/DG965WH.
performance of P965 is better than G965.

wow!! u r fast yaar!!! :eek: :eek:

1 more thing,
how much is the performance of P965 better when compared to G965 coz if i buy P965, i'll have to shell out for a graphics card also and that would also be a waste by the end of the year!!!!!........ so buying a p965 would mean a LOT more money and does the performance gain warrant that???

i searched all over the net for a broad comparison of the performances of P965 and G965 but i've not been able to find any.........

Pathik

Google Bot
if u r not into gaming then go for a g965... they r vista capable and can run most current games after some tweaking...
Also *www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/ VT isnt much use for normal home users...
software virtualisation is good enuf for us..

assasin

Banned
preethesh.shetty said:
i'll have to shell out for a graphics card also and that would also be a waste by the end of the year!!!!!........ so buying a p965 would mean a LOT more money and does the performance gain warrant that???

i searched all over the net for a broad comparison of the performances of P965 and G965 but i've not been able to find any.........

P965 runs cooler,oc's better

get a 2nd hand gfx card for 1.5-2k.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude digg this

IF U ARE AN OVERCLOCKER THAN BUY A QUALITY MOTHERBOARD FROM ASUS,MSI,GIGABYTE,A-BIT(FATALITY) ETC.

BUY INTEL'S ORIGINAL MOTHERBOARD IF U ARE NOT AN OVERCLOCKER.!!!!!

premsharma

In the zone
preethesh.shetty said:
wow!! u r fast yaar!!! :eek: :eek:

1 more thing,
how much is the performance of P965 better when compared to G965 coz if i buy P965, i'll have to shell out for a graphics card also and that would also be a waste by the end of the year!!!!!........ so buying a p965 would mean a LOT more money and does the performance gain warrant that???

There is no such thing of better performance of motherboard P Vs G. One is without graphics & other is with graphics. One is overpriced / costly and further you have to buy graphics card, where as other is reasonable. If not overclocker, then G is the one you should go far.

OP
P

preethesh.shetty

Broken In
Thanks all for the help!!!!:) :)
i've finally decided on my config.......
cpu: E4300...... this saves me around Rs.2400 over E6300!!!
Mobo: Intel DG965RYCK......... i'm getting this coz i couldnt find any board on P965 chipset anywhere in Blore!!!!:( :( ........ seems like i'll have to be happy with this...... anyways i dont OC
Ram : 1 GB Kingston 533Mhz ..... again this is the max frequency ram i got.....
HDD: 250 GB Seagate SATA
DVD Writer: Sony 18x......my friend advised me to go for Sony though i wanted the Liteon 20x.....

can anybody tell me the difference between DG965RY and DG965RYCK boards????? what does that CK stand for????????

premsharma said:
There is no such thing of better performance of motherboard P Vs G. One is without graphics & other is with graphics. One is overpriced / costly and further you have to buy graphics card, where as other is reasonable. If not overclocker, then G is the one you should go far.
well, the only reason i asked for this is coz Digit, in their Nov-2006 issue, had told to stay away from G965 saying their CPU subsystems were'nt as good as P965..... otherwise even i had thought the 2 chipsets were same except for the integrated graphics..........

rahul30

Techzilla!
guyz u have to check this out"

*computershopper.com/feature/200704_the_right_gpu_for_you_4

see the diff between amd 690 and g965

premsharma

In the zone
rahul30 said:
guyz u have to check this out"

*computershopper.com/feature/200704_the_right_gpu_for_you_4

see the diff between amd 690 and g965

I have seen that longback. It is for them who have been spending heavy on 965 boards with useless intel GMA 3000

rahul30

Techzilla!
@prem:

so bro wat r u buying...i suppose amd x2 5200 with 65nm tdp and bundled with amd 690g is a killer combo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom