Buying a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Okay, I'm here in this thread to get some views / opinions / comments / advice from the Mac users present here. I know there are quite a few users here who _can_ help me, not sure if they _will_ for certain.

I have made it certain that I'm buying a Mac, so Anti-Apple advices are better kept to yourselves ( @ other users )

Anyway, I've been a Windows users since the time of Win 3.1 and I've ventured into Linux-land around 3 years back. Here's my present configuration.

19" LCD Monitor with DVI input
CPU with C2D, 2GB RAM, 512MB gfx card and 160GB x 2 SATA HDDs ( One has XP, One has Ubuntu )
M'soft Cordless Mouse and Normal Kbd

Due to "financial constraints" and the fact that I already also have a Compaq Laptop, I've decided to purchase the Mac Mini 2nd Model. I'll be using it with the BOLDed Hardware above. One of the SATAs will be used as an external drive.

Now, I need to make the purchase ASAP ( ~ 7 days MAX ). However, Apple India Sales says that Leopard won't be here until November end :(

I'm really confused what should I do.

Also, any comments, suggestions for the move from Windows to Mac ?

Thanks

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
No I read somewhere that all Macs bought in October get a coupon so that those users can buy Leopard for as li'l as $10 when released.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
leopard is available for pre order.i guess new macs start shipping with it soon.i'm runnung osx on mac book pro.its an experience of its own kind.in my opinion go and buy it

OP
preshit.net

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Thanks for the comments. Leopard is gonna take time in India. Some say December, some say January. I definitely cannot wait that long :(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
DARK LORD said:
Thanks for the comments. Leopard is gonna take time in India. Some say December, some say January. I definitely cannot wait that long :(

Just buy your Mac Mini. You can very well get Leopard upgrade from Apple store for $10 or Rs 450 even in India.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Does it say on Apple Store India?

Reply to self: Ok Apple store is still down.

You can check the phone number from the web page of Apple store India and find if the are offering the $10 upgrade to us or not.

OP
preshit.net

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Ok, in my quest to buy the Mac, I've contact Apple India Sales helpline trillions of times and have been in constant contact with 3 different Apple Dealers in Mumbai. No one knows for certain when Leopard is shipping to India. Not even the Sales helpline.

Also, YES. The store has been down for ages now :(

Also, every dealer and every executive on the helpline says they do not have info yet. But Leopard will take upto December atleast, they say.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
DARK LORD, I'll suggest to forget Leopard for now. Try out Tiger and see how it fares with the other OSes you've used previously. When you use Leopard after using Tiger for some 2-4 months, you might like it better.

Just get confirmed if you can get Leopard for $10 even after some 2-4 months.

OP
preshit.net

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
@Dr. Grudge: Thanks. That _does_ make sense to me.

About your second comment, as I said, no one has any idea about Leopard. Not the Apple India sales guys, not the dealers, not even the Store guys.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
DARK LORD said:
About your second comment, as I said, no one has any idea about Leopard. Not the Apple India sales guys, not the dealers, not even the Store guys.

Better steer clear, they must be confused in the transition period.

goobimama

 Macboy
Ah. Didn't notice this thread. I'd say go for the mac mini. Though make sure you are getting an upgrade to Leopard cause that is not just about frivolous things like Flip3D. There's some real good technologies in there that are going to make a big difference. A lot of apps are also going to be Leopard-only so you will have to upgrade to leopard at some stage. I think you will get upgraded to leopard for 500 bucks like gx said, but I'd check. (If you can wait, I'll call up my apple guys and ask them what's the deal with Leopard). Also, it won't take upto december for it to come. It's a worldwide release and should be here within a week of it's international release.

Just in case: DO NOT upgrade your RAM from Apple. You can buy third party RAM and upgrade it that way.

OP
preshit.net

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Thanks for the reply Goobi.

Could you elaborate what do you mean by "make sure you are getting an upgrade to Leopard" ? I'm pretty darn sure I'm not getting it for free.

Also, please do call up your Apple Guy. I can delay the deal for 2 more days.

I'm not upgrading my RAM yet. Will do it 6 months down the line.

I really think Leopard will prolly take until December end to reach India. So, I will NOT get the free / 500 upgrade. I'll have to pay for it. Please call up your apple guys.

Also, clear your PMbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom