Buying a Laser Printer

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have an old HP Laser Printer, HP 1020:

*www.flipkart.com/hp-laserjet-1020-...1020&ref=900a0453-07ca-4abe-a001-61541800b4af

I bought it about five years ago for about Rs 7K. I don't use it much; I've had the powder refilled in it once. I generally print about ten pages a month or so. Now this printer was not working properly; there was a lot of dust on it, even though I had kept it covered. Instead of pulling one paper at a time, it would often pull two or more, and then the papers would get jammed. I got it serviced by the guy from whom I'd bought it, but the problem persists, and now there's another problem: apart from pulling more than one paper at a time, it also prints a large black vertical bar about two inches thick on one side. It has become pretty much useless, and the guy who serviced it keeps saying he'll come over but doesn't.

I'm thinking of buying a new printer, one which has copy function as well, and I found one, HP M 1136:

*www.flipkart.com/hp-laserjet-pro-m...1136&ref=f4fc8f9c-a5b5-4e2b-8caa-2c4b3a36462b

I want a printer which can print and photocopy, not one with fax. I went to a local store called ECS, and they have this printer on display. It costs Rs 10,500 (with warranty); they said they'll sell me the demo printer (on display) for Rs 6000, but there'll be no warranty. Should I get the printer at the original price, or should I get the warranty-less one at lower price?

Also, what would be the resale value of the old 1020?

Thanks.

Edit: I called up the guy again; he said he's an authorized dealer of HP, and the company gives them these demo models, and when customers ask, they give a printout to show the print quality, speed, etc of the printer, so its a used printer in a way, though I don't know how much used. I asked him if he is going to give a new packed cartridge with the (warranty-less) printer, and he said no, its the cartridge that has already been there from the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom