BUilding a system from scratch. Grounding concerns.

hearthacker

Journeyman
Hi,

I will be building up my PC from scratch. I got my board, RAM, HDD, processor, etc and I will be starting with installing in the following order

Processor > Cooler > RAM > Graphics Card > PSU > Optical drive > HDD

I have been seeing some videos online and everyone of those people was wearing smoe sort of anti-static strap. My question is that if it is a big deal. I mean I will be working on a wooden board and I have wooden flooring. Can i actually damage the processor/board/electrical components if I don't wear an antistatic strap?

Thanks
~Nitin

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
just don't touch any bare conductors or soldering on chips.

after installing CPU cooler handle the motherboard by holding the cpu cooler.

Dont touch the PCB flat side you can use the sides of PCB though.

Handle the graphics card by same process by holding the cooler or side of PCB.

Those videos people are wearing anti-static wrist wrap cause they use carpet in floor. Walking 10-15 min with bare foot in carpet can create large enough static charge to destroy microchips.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ LOL WHAT? 0.o"

Just keep your hands clean and dry. Don't touch the thermal paste once its applied or on the stock heatsink. But you need to take care with Intel processors because of the way when you're mounting, especially if you're installing an aftermarket CPU. I know there are cases which have holes on the motherboard tray which allows you to install the cooler vertically, but its best if you install the processor and cooler on the motherboard, and then mount it on a case. Rest of the components shouldn't be an issue. Just get a good enough case with enough spacing, get the right power supply, don't overtighten the screws especially the motherboard screws and take time to do cable management.

Its also best if you secure the motherboard with all the screws. I've seen some people skipping installing some screws with the confidence that it will hold, but with the investment made on graphic cards and cpu and all that, you're not going to loose when taking care of everything.

Rest are already covered in many installation guides so its not a problem.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Its use is recommended! Possibility of static charge damaging components exist and is probable too.

However its not a tool most of us have or we use. I have never seen any engineer in the computer repair shops as well ever using it.

In addition to points mentioned in above replies, some simple things like usage of cotton clothing, frequently touching your palm to the metallic edges of PC case, staying away from wool, other synthetic fibers, Teflon coated things etc reduce / prevent the chances of static charge generation or dissipation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom