Building a Gaming PC

Kushal1990

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming and watching movies. Play gta 5 at 1080p ultra settings. Also, run other games like arkham knight, fifa 15, etc.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 1.5 lac Rupees. May extend to 1.6 lac

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Maybe in the future

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Might buy an ssd

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: want atleast a 1080p or any other which fits my budget. Also, since I would be watching movies on it, I guess IPS would be better for the viewing angles

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: hdd and speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week or two

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Would be my first time

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bombay. Will buy from wherever I would get original products at reasonable price

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Want an i7 4790k and zotac gtx 980 ti amp extreme edition. But, I am open to get views from you guys

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 197k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790k25,000
CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120v Plus4,500
MotherboardAsus Sabertooth Z97 Mark214,800
MemoryCorsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(4GBx4) 2400Mhz11,200
Graphics CardZotac GTX 980Ti 6GB DDR552,900
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB8,500
Power SupplySeasonic M12II 620w EVO Edition6,900
CabinetCorsair C70 Black9,400
Internal StorageWD Caviar Black 1TB5,500
MonitorBenQ XL2730Z 144Hz LED
KeyboardCooler Master Devastator KB and Mouse Combo2,600
MouseIncluded in the Combo0
Total1,91,200

All above prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

Last edited:

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=320806]Kushal1990[/MENTION],

Overall, I like the bssunilreddy configuration. Just a suggestion, if you are planning for future proofing, then you must go for the latest ATX MOBO. The MOBO should have in built function of WiFi and audio feature with that, there is no need to add any other peripheral devices like WiFi and sound card, and it’s support the SLI and CrossFire technology that means in the future, you can add-on a second GPU card for performance, instead of buying a new MOBO or replacing a totally new GPU.

The choice of the SSD, it all depends on your budget, because SSDs are expensive; however they are worth every penny. The difference between cheaper SSDs and more expensive ones that have similar capacity is their write speeds. Expensive ones are usually 540MB/s write speeds while cheaper ones go up to around 250MB/s write speeds only. Read speeds however, are the same.

For HDD part, I would advise you go with the WD Black 2TB for high performance and WD Green 2TB for normal storage, that is if you don't have the budget problem.

OP
K

Kushal1990

Broken In
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] even I was considering mobo with wifi. But wasn't sure if it's worth it. And I need one with audio support upto 8 channels. [MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] I don't need a gaming kb nd mouse. Could do with a normal one too. Also, no need of such big monitor. 24" is fine. And that monitor has freesync and I am buying nvidia card, so a big no-no

Knockout

Broken In
Processor:Intel i7 6700k-28,8k
Cooler :CM hyper 212x-2.8k
Motherboard:Asus z170 pro gaming-12k
Ram-Corsair 8GBX2 DDR4-9,000
Case-Corsair haf 912 combat-6.3k
PSU:Seasonic 750w(ss 750m III)11.k
Monitor : Dell24 SE2416H-12.5kx3=37.5
WD:Black 1Tb,6k
Gpu:Asus gtx 980Ti oc-63k
Ssd:samsung evo 250gb-9k
Total-185.5k

The prices may differ ,Its my suggestion for your build.

Thank you.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
As regards the monitor, I would suggest to get at least a 1440p panel with 120/144Hz refresh rate. This is the component you will probably gonna upgrade the least, or may not upgrade at all, so, makes sense to get the best you can afford. The FreeSync/GSync debate is yet to be settled so won't bother much about that. Only problem is that most of the panels above 1080p will be 27/28".

I think you should set aside around 1 lac for monitor and GPU and spend the rest on other components. Not sure about the models and individual pricing, though ROG Swift might be an option.

Get a SSD by all means. 250/256GB ones are pretty cheap these days.

And get a Skylake based system, budget permitting.

OP
K

Kushal1990

Broken In
What I was saying that, as I would also be watching movies on it, I thought IPS panel would have been great for the viewing angles. I know TN has much faster refresh rate, but they have poor viewing angles

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ROG Swift (PG279Q) is an IPS panel at 1440p & 165Hz refresh rate, but it should be damn costly, if available. If gaming is your priority, then get a panel like this (higher res, higher refresh rate etc.). If movie viewing is your priority, you can get the Samsung LU28D590DS/XL, a 4K TN panel below 40k, or one of their curved ones.

Also the viewing angle will depend on the seating arrangements I guess. So you can take a call on that better than us.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are ok with 1080p, but that's a pretty older model, is it still available?

OP
K

Kushal1990

Broken In
Guys, so I visited Lamington rd yesterday. Got a quote from 3-4 sellers. They range from 1.2-1.3 lacs. Unfortunately, Prime ABGB's retail store wasn't taking any orders coz of festival and they would be re-opening on Saturday. Also, retailers are giving Zotac GTX 980 ti Amp Extreme Edition for 53-55k, whereas on other websites it is quoted as around 62k. So, is it genuine? Also, please help me choose a monitor for both gaming and watching movies, don't want to compromise on viewing angles. And, also help me get a PSU for the config.
Budget for monitor - 30k
How is One touch shop located at Lamington Rd? It quoted 53k for Zotac GTX 980 Ti Amp Extreme Edition? Will it be genuine?

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 165k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k (Skylake)27,400
CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120v Plus4,500
MotherboardAsus Maximus Ranger VIII Z170
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(8GBx2) 3000Mhz11,100
Graphics CardZotac GTX 980Ti 6GB DDR552,900
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB8,500
Power SupplySeasonic M12II 620w EVO Edition6,900
CabinetAntec GX5053,500
Internal StorageWD Caviar Black 1TB5,500
MonitorBenQ 24" XL2411Z 144Hz LED23,700
KeyboardCooler Master Devastator KB/Mouse2,600
MouseIncluded in the Combo0
Total1,65,000

All above prices are taken from mdcomputers.in

Last edited:
OP
K

Kushal1990

Broken In
Hmmmm... How about i7 4790k with Asus mobo(not yet decided, open for suggestions) and instead of that benq monitor, an Asus PG279q? Also, I need a cabinet with no window on its side. Just enough space to add fans. And I wouldn't mind going with a basic kb and mouse.

Knockout

Broken In
The i7 4790k is a great cpu but it was superseded by the 6700k,there performance difference is marginal though ,but it is good to invest in newer cpu. A gaming mouse is a must for gamer invest in it and you won't regret

OP
K

Kushal1990

Broken In
But, still people say its the best cpu out there. Also, the performance per core is much better. If I get the 6700k, I'll have to get ddr4 ram and mobo which will affect my budget which is 1.5 lac Rupees but can extend it a little further than 1.6 lac. So, suggest keeping my budget in mind. Also, do I need a cpu cooler since I won't overclock it just after buying, maybe in future

- - - Updated - - -

Also, tell me which shops are the best to buy from at Lamington Road and whcih ones to ignore?

Knockout

Broken In
Then get 4790k and Asus z97 pro gamer.If you game a lot its better to buy an after market cooler like 212x,I got no idea about the shops bro.I ain't from there

Top Bottom