build for VFM 35K to 40K gaming config with GPU later add-on

sota_packed

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: I'd like the build to support games like bf3, crisis3 and other FPS games and also the up coming GTA5 ideally in high or ultra settings, cad and 3D rendering

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: ideally 35k for comp minus GPU, but can extend 10k if I'm missing out some great stuff...

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:yes moderately... but i'm not planning use a cpu cooler right way... so i'll overclock if stock thermal solution can handle it...

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win7 x64, will try for hackintosh

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB,

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: yes, buying monitor, full HD led 22-24 inch(bigger the better... can increase bugdet for good 24" VFM monitor)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: graphic card, so i'll be needing an IGP immediately later i plan on cross-firing with the AMD GPU, but an intel HD IGP without crossfire is not a deal breaker

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Month of Janurary, on 26-01-13

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:I and my friend will be assembling it...

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Bangalore, open to buying locally or online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I pinned by hopes on Amd trinity a8 5800k to provide at least low level i5 performance, but i3 mid-level performance is bit of a downer... so i can wait for fx-6300 or i'm open to buying some upper mid-range CPU's... I'm not too keen on buying i3- 3220 since offer just HD 2500 graphics and it will be of no use now or later once i buy a discrete graphics card... At the moment i'm leaning towards 2nd gen i5 2500k, looking at it as good VFM CPU or one of the upper mid-range(8k to 10k) AMD CPU's

Cilus

laborare est orare
Regarding your Crossfire intentions, let me clear a thing, the Motherboard IGP for AMD processor is maximum HD 4290 which is very weak card and can be used in Hybrid Crossfire Mode with cards like HD 6450 or HD 5450. Even their total performance can't run any games at all.
Currently, at your budget, you won't get any Intel rig that can be overclocked. Intel K series Processor + Z77 motherboard will cost you around 21K. The best intel solution for your rig is i3 3220. My suggestion is to wait and see at the end of this month if AMD FX 4300 and AMD FX 6300 processors will be available at the end of this month.

OP
S

sota_packed

Regarding your Crossfire intentions, let me clear a thing, the Motherboard IGP for AMD processor is maximum HD 4290 which is very weak card and can be used in Hybrid Crossfire Mode with cards like HD 6450 or HD 5450. Even their total performance can't run any games at all.
Currently, at your budget, you won't get any Intel rig that can be overclocked. Intel K series Processor + Z77 motherboard will cost you around 21K. The best intel solution for your rig is i3 3220. My suggestion is to wait and see at the end of this month if AMD FX 4300 and AMD FX 6300 processors will be available at the end of this month.

@ cilus, thanks for replying and clearing out crossfire issues...
could you suggest a overclock-able cpu rig, where cpu + mobo is around 18-20k and the total cost of the rig is around 40k...

i'm thinking the below config is ideal

AMD FX 8350 @ 12K
Asus M5A97 @ 7k
Corsair Vengeance @ 2.7K
WD Caviar Blue @ 4.3K
CX 430V2 PSU @ 2.6k
Logitech MK200 @ 0.8K
Dell ST2220L (21.5") - 7k
Asus 24X DVD R/W SATA @ 1K
NZXT Tempest 210 @ 3k

Total ~ 40.5k

Can the above config handle basic 3d rendering and medium settings gaming by itself with the assistance of a Gpu temporarily?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually all the AMD 900 series Chipset based Motherboards (970, 990X, 990FX) don't come with integrated GPU. In that case you have to get a cheaper graphics card for display. AFAIK, FX-8350 is around 12.5K and Asus M5A97 is around 6.6K. The components chosen by you is perfect and FX-8350 is also very capable processor with good overclocking potential. Just get a graphics card like HD 5450 or GT 210 around 1.6K for temporary use.

OP
S

sota_packed

config narrowed down to two options (CPU+motherboard) rest of the components almost same...

OPT-1

processor : Amd FX-8350 - Rs 12000
mobo: Asus M5A97 - Rs 6300
Total = Rs 18300
or

OPT-2

processor : Intel i5 3470 - Rs 11200
mobo: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - Rs 3800
Total = Rs 15000

Rest of the rig is
Monitor - viewsonic VA2248WM - Rs 7.7k or Dell S2240 Rs 9K
HDD- Toshiba 1TB - Rs 4.2k
RAM - G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600 mhz 4gb - Rs 1.5k
PSU - Corsair GS 500
Cabinet- NZXT Source/Gamma or CM K380 - Rs 2.8k
KB&M- Logitech MK200 - Rs 0.6k

will there be a large performance difference in general computing between two processors? which will be better for gaming?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well, for gaming only, the Intel configuration is better but at 1080P or full HD resolution, the difference is very marginal. But the AMD configuration wll provide you the following benefits:-

1. Out of the box better Multi-threaded performance. Hence will provide you better rendering and CAD performance.
2. Overclocking potential. Even with the stock cooler, 4.3 to 4.4 GHz stale overclock is possible.
3. Better Motherboard. Asus M5A97 offers good amount of quality advantage over the B75 chipset.
4. Better future upgrade path. As per AMD, even the upcoming Steam Roller processors will be compatible with existing AM3+ platform.

OP
S

sota_packed

@cilus thanks for pointing out the benefits... so amd fx 8350 combo is worth 3k difference? is corsair gs500 a good psu? will it be able to handle cards such as gti 660ti or hd 7870 which i'm planning to buy in the future?

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Cilus has already listed the advantages of the 8350. Read them well.

Corsair PSUs are good. Some models are better.

500w will work, 600w is better. More headroom.

Top Bottom