Budget PC under 15k (CPU only)

noob*

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Watching HD movies. Surfing the internet. Lightweight Gaming.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:20k. Will extend to 21-22k If required.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7/XP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: atleast 80 GB(I have an external 500GB HDD, and I hear that Hard disk prices are high.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No. I have and LG Flatron E2040T

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Keyboard, Mouse,Monitor. (maybe I can reuse my CPU cabinet)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:within 2 months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Asssembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Gonna flipkart it.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:I won't require any GPU now butI am planning to buy a GPU later on, so I need a GOOD processor for gaming . I need a future proof build too, will extend the budget if required. Can leave out the DVD drive, but the processor and mobo must be good. I have a 2004 built PC with Amd athlon xp+@1.6Ghz. What components of it can I reuse? Can I reuse the hard disk? It is 40gb IDE, ? PSU? my PSU is iBall LPE223-400 .

Last edited:
Processor : Intel i3 3220 (3.3 GHz) Rs. 7256
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Rs. 4305
RAM: Corsair DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Rs. 1010
Hard Disc: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Rs. 3334
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS71/GH24NS72 Internal Optical Drive Rs. 1035

Total: 16670

OP
N

noob*

Broken In
@harshill I already mentioned I want to save on Hard disk. I already have an external 500 GB one. Also I don't need an optical drive. and would'nt AMD fx-4100 be a better choice?

The hard disk I've mentioned is the cheapest desktop hard disk on flipkart.

As far as fx 4100 is concerned, I'm not much into AMD, however, on reading reviews, I've come to know that its quite a good chip, especially if you overclock it. I'm currently using i3 2100 and its going good (except that it cannot be overclockde ;-( ). Wait for other replies as far as processor is concerned. Also, what psu do you have (I guess you have one as you wrote you'll be using your old cabinet) ?

OP
N

noob*

Broken In
I'll need a cheaper hard disk. Not necessary to buy everything from flipkart! my PSU is iBall LPE223-400(already wrote that in my original post :|

also, will my old hard disk (40gb one) be compatible with my new pc? (I don't the hard disk's details)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your old 40GB hard disk is a PATA (Parallel ATA) or ATA drive whereas all the current gen HDDs are based on better and faster SATA (Serial ATA) interface. Now a days almost all the new motherboards have removed PATA ports from their Motherboard which means you can't use it. Do one thing, buy a PATA to USB encloser around 400 bucks, place your old HDD inside it and use it as external powered USB HDD.

Sup

Broken In
Why not go with Harshill's build ? seems good.

You can get the Fx4100 consumes more power but performance is at par with i3, with i3 winning some and some being won by the fx4100.

Cilus

laborare est orare
FX 4100 seems okay for your budget as it will save you almost RS 1000. But mind one thing, it consumes way more power than i3. Another advantage of FX4100 is that it has unlocked multiplier and can be overclocked to gain extra performance whereas Intel I3 processors can't be overclocked. But again, since you are not into overclocking, it is not a big deal here. Also a good AM3+ Motherboard will cost you 5k+.

So better go with the harshilsharma63's configuration.

Intel processors have better power to performance ratios, so as long as one is not in serious overclocking, the power consumption difference can make quite a difference in the long run.

Intel processors have better power to performance ratios, so as long as one is not in serious overclocking, the power consumption difference can make quite a difference in the long run.

OP
N

noob*

Broken In
how about FX 6100/6200 , I am planning to extend the bugdet a few bucks. Also can anyone one suggest a mobo for fx4100/6100 ?

Also suggest the PSU and , I'll get a new cabinet too

Cilus

laborare est orare
Don't go for FX 6100, it is not very good. The best VFM motherboard will be Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, available around 5.4K. Although Piledriver based FX-6300 is not launched in India till date, there is chance in next one moth.

OP
N

noob*

Broken In
Don't go for FX 6100, it is not very good. The best VFM motherboard will be Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, available around 5.4K. Although Piledriver based FX-6300 is not launched in India till date, there is chance in next one moth.
:-? someone(a friend) told me to buy ASUS M5A78L-M LX Motherboard @ 2.8k (*i am a noob in hardware , so please don't be irritated or annoyed*)

Regarding Fx 6100, a did a bit of research and found this PassMark CPU Value Chart - Performance / Price of available CPUs . It ranks 4th on Price Performance (CPU Mark / $Price). Also it's benchmarks don't seems to be bad, keeping in mind the price of 7.5k. So i am a bit confused, ALSO, would AMD A10-5800K be good? (Then maybe I would not buy a GPU later, which i was thinking of)

P.S. My budget is increased to 20k

And Thanks a lot for the reply :)

any other suggestions?

Cilus

laborare est orare
The motherboard your friend have suggested is not a good one, especially for FX processors. Better opt for a 970 chipset based motherboard. Since you are planning to buy within 2 months timespan, a little wait worths for FX-6300 launch in India

Cilus

laborare est orare
i5 3550 offers far better performance than i3 3220 and gaming performance is also very good. But on that price you can get a AMD FX-8350 (8 Cores, 4 GHz, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3) which offers better multi-tasking, overclocking, better instruction set support and almost same level of gaming performance. specially at 1080P resolution. So in my opinion, FX -8350 is a better buy.

Top Bottom