BSOD & crashes in XP running in bootcamp

aaruni

The Linux Guy
hey guys, i own a macbook 5.1, and in the bootcamp partition of 20GB i have installed windows xp sp2 upgraded to sp3. lately i have been experiencing the blue screen of death, mostly when i play call of duty 4, but otherwise also. and the CHKDSK took me about 3 and a half hours. if anybody knows a solution please help. also note that no post sp3 updates have been installed

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
re: BSOD & crashes in XP running in bootcamp

Virus infected I think. Do a full system scan using Avira or Avast(free edition of both) or try a online AV like this.

Do run a CCleaner cleanup too as I feel the temp is filled up :)

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy

I scanned using AVG Free, I defragmented using Defraggler, I cleaned
using CCleaner. It is still there. It comes otherwise also, but it
always comes when I play call of duty 4: Modern Warfare.
I will write my system specs below:
Microsoft Windows XP (5.1, Build 2600)
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
P7350 @ 2.0GHz
1.99GHz, 1.72GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
512.00MB
1280X800 (32 bit) (61 Hz)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

If it appears only during COD, its nothing to be scared, you are just pushing the limits of that 9400M. Bound to happen. Reduce the in-game graphics to bare minimum, if you still want to play.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy

No, it comes while playing vice city, installing games, etc. I use freeramxppro and mz cpu accelerator.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Check your RAM using the following tool-

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

No, it comes while playing vice city, installing games, etc. I use freeramxppro and mz cpu accelerator.

Roughly what level do you set the graphics? especially the resolution, texture detail and such stuff?

Also, does the BSOD appear during normal usage, like simple browsing and stuff like that?

Btw, disable that cpu accelarator (and the RAM freeing application) and see what happens. Changing the priority of applications is not really recommended unless you are very sure about it.

Last edited:
OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy

It does sometimes appear, but not frequently. but tell me why the DSKCHK took such a long time. I set the graphics level at the max and then go down if the performance is impacted.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
3.5 hrs looks like ts a little too much, but tbh, chkdsk, does take a good amount of time to execute.

What was the result of the chkdsk? did you find any corrupt blocks n the partition?

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
no, it said that some file was not readable and asked me if i wanted to schedule CHKDSK for the next restart. I clicked yes and then i restarted. It was about 3:30pm and finally i was able to see my desktop not before 6:00pm. The CHKDSK did not say anything.... only gave me the usual report, the number of blocks of data and free space, etc. also it took 5 stages, i remember there being only three

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might want to install the latest BootCamp version for Windows? I mean, the one which has latest drivers and stuff?

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
i've already downloaded one set of updates. the apple software update doesn't show anymore bootcamp updates

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I don't know what that is, so no, i don't do that

Every blue screen has a error code. Something that looks like "0X000FE75: blah blah blah". Googling it usually helps a lot in determining the cause of BSOD.

Use the computer without the RAM optimiser and the cpu accelerator and see if you still get BSODs. And by use I dont mean playing COD. If you have winrar installed, run its benchmarking option from under 'tools'.

Also if you have a linux live disk, run memtest86 from it.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I have been running the benchmark for quite some time now... disabling the applications really did help. And the BSOD doesn't last for a long time, so i can't see the error code. all i see is the blue screen and then the comp reboots.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Now if it appears stable, try playing COD, at the absolute minimum settings. And with bot of those applications not running in the background.
Also keep a temperature monitor running in the background, logging values into some file.
I prefer RealTemp.
No need of installation. Go to settings and tick mark 'Log file'. The log file will be automatically saved to the folder containing the Real Temp.exe

This way even if a BSOD occurs, you have a knowledge of the temperatures...

Now if a BSOD occurs, go check the log file.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
There was another BSOD guys, and another auto CHKDSK while playing GTA:SA at blazing hot temperatures. this time the CHKDSK took less time, started at 8:05 and ended at 8:29
I'll download RealTemp today.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
There was another BSOD guys, and another auto CHKDSK while playing GTA:SA at blazing hot temperatures. this time the CHKDSK took less time, started at 8:05 and ended at 8:29
I'll download RealTemp today.

Auto chkdsk??

I suppose you got the BSOD during the game...

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
yes, but tell me a way to fix this. Should i open my laptop and clean it up it there are temperature issues?

Top Bottom