BSNL redirecting randomly to mail.bsnl.in

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
This has been going on for a few months
BSNL Broadband is randomly redirecting users to their webmail service‽ • BSNL Broadband • India Broadband Forum

Any way to get rid of this?

Flash

Lost in speed
Am also getting this thing, for the past 1 week. I thought, it's only me.

- - - Updated - - -

BSNL said:
BSNL in its defense has declared that automatic redirection to the URL mail.bsnl.in has been configured in all the BNGs of Multiplay Network. This re-direction will lead to mail.bsnl.in page only when the customer starts a new session.

The salient features are as follows.

• When the customer initiates a broadband session and requests an URL of his choice through the browser, that very first HTTP request shall reach BNG and BNG will automatically redirect to mail.bsnl.in. The redirection will happen only at first session.ie. at the time of switching on the modem or when the existing session completes 24 hours, whichever is earlier.

• Afterwards, this redirection will not be applied, and the customer can browse the URL of his choice.

• This default redirection to BSNL mail is applicable only to Broadband customers.

• This redirection mechanism is compatible only for HTTP protocol and not for HTTPS i.e the customer will be redirected to mail.bsnl.in only for first http request and if the customer tries to browse https page, this will not work.

• Now-a-days, many of the banking sites, mail/messaging sites like Google, Gmail, Facebook etc., are based on HTTPS protocol, hence the present redirection may not create any issue for banking transactions.

BSNL clears stand on redirecting broadband users to (mail.bsnl.in) promotional page

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
  • When the customer initiates a broadband session and requests an URL of his choice through the browser, that very first HTTP request shall reach BNG and BNG will automatically redirect to mail.bsnl.in. The redirection will happen only at first session.ie. at the time of switching on the modem or when the existing session completes 24 hours, whichever is earlier.

So basically I am getting disconnected every 5 minutes

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why the hell are they forcing a useless redirection?

go here and you'll understand - BSNL clears stand on redirecting broadband users to (mail.bsnl.in) promotional page

This is a huge scam. Story goes here :
The website mail.bsnl.in is maintained by some private agency called Xgen . He tied up with BSNL with intention (assumption) to earn huge money by placing ads in mail.bsnl.in page . Since no one uses bsnl mail these days, the number of hits to mail.bsnl.in was very limited, hence his plan fails. So he then bribes some high level administration of BSNL , to do something. So for favoring Xgen this redirection drama starts. In guise of promoting its mail services, BSNL is illegally favoring XGen by allowing him to earn crores and crores by ads.
Whatever the issue as a customer I will ask some simple questions to BSNL:
1. Why are you using bandwidth rented to me, to favor some third party?
2. Why are you annoying me by redirecting while i clicked some googled results ( Even clicking back will not lead to your previous page which you intended to see)?
3. Why I have to pay for bandwidth of display of ads in mail.bsnl.in page? ( The video ads will consume 2-5Mb per minute)
Literally this is a huge scam, by which some BSNL officials are benefited by scarification of so called “customer satisfaction”.
So I request every person to pls do complaint to TRAI regarding this issue.

Check this link Total telephone subscriber base rises to 100.69 crore - Livemint At the bottom of the report it says “Top five service providers constituted 83.83% market share of total broadband subscribers at June end. These service providers were Bharti Airtel (2.45 crore), Vodafone (2.20 crore), BSNL (1.82 crore), Idea Cellular (1.66 crore) and Reliance Communications Group (97.4 lakh).”
You can get the same report by every other news site, I believe that was reported by telecomtalk too. The article says 1.82 crore, I used 2 crore in my analysis. Did I do wrong? It’s only to calculate easily, but even then, they are earning at least six crores daily if every user gets disconnected once per day. It’s irrelevant to discuss how much they paid for mobile spectrum or such things. We are discussing broadband here, not why BSNL is not getting tenders.
We subscribed to broadband service, they didn’t notify us prior to taking the connection or when they started the redirection. They don’t have any official circular/notification regarding this.
Either they are earning this advertisement money themselves, or the third party XGen is earning. Either way, they are getting money by exploiting users. The users were not notified, the district level staffs dont have a clue, and we can not opt-out.
So far, I have went through five guys in BSNL, no one had a clue. They never heard of the redirection. All they could say, whatever was done, out of their control, only the circle head quarters can solve this, which in my case is Kolkata. I have spend ten hours at least on this without any solution. I can’t use another operator, because there is no other option in my town.

They have a lot of ads on the websites, about a dozen. Bsnl has 2 crores of broadband customers. The redirect occurs every time you disconnect and reconnect broadband. It will happen every 24 hours automatically if I don’t disconnect. So, lets say everyone disconnects once per day, though in reality it would be higher. 2 crores of page visit minimum, daily. Now suppose they have ten ads on the page. 20 crores of advertisements. Usually, these ads pay $5 per 1000 visits. So that means…ohh…something around seven crores daily. If BSNL redirects just once they are getting around seven crores daily. Its much higher, I usually see about 10-12 disconnects per day.

Flash

Lost in speed
I get a feeling that these disconnections are INTENTIONAL.
You get a feeling? It's real man. Why should they redirect us to mail.bsnl.in everytime during disconnection or once a day, it's not like we are working in BSNL office's to set our homepage to mail.bsnl.in.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
You get a feeling? It's real man. Why should they redirect us to mail.bsnl.in everytime during disconnection or once a day, it's not like we are working in BSNL office's to set our homepage to mail.bsnl.in.

Understand my statement properly

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
He understood you properly.

Nope he didn't. What he is saying is that I thought the 'redirection' is maybe intentional. The redirection is intentional of course to get ad revenue. What I am saying is that the 'disconnections' that occur frequently are also intentional so that you are redirected the first time when you connect again. More disconnections = More redirects = more money.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Nope he didn't. What he is saying is that I thought the 'redirection' is maybe intentional. The redirection is intentional of course to get ad revenue. What I am saying is that the 'disconnections' that occur frequently are also intentional so that you are redirected the first time when you connect again. More disconnections = More redirects = more money.
Yes...fully correct and true assessment.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
file a RTI asking who gave the authorization to redirect to mail.bsnl.in.In govt offices/psu the biggest PITA question one can ask & one which is feared the most in RTIs is asking whose signature is on the order approval page.also mark a copy to TRAI(in hard copy as well as soft copy/email).for adding extra kick one can also ask the no. of times redirection occurs for all consumers in a particular circle/state along with details of any revenue generated from these re-directions.

Top Bottom