BSNL quirked or some Hackers dugg into my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
From yesterday, when I am using my Ubuntu Feisty, I could not able to log in to my BSNL broadband. Every time login fails, looked at the log, it says CHAP authentication failed CONNECTION TERMINATED.:mad:

Tried my MAC, same thing, authentication failed.:mad:

Interestingly, when I finally able to log in today evening, I was shocked to see that my a/c was credited 830 MB for using from 11:30AM to 1:00 PM. I was not even started my computer back then, not the PC nor the MAC.

I changed the password now, but is it a example of Identity theft or is it BSNL's fault.:confused: :confused: It never happened to me before.:(

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
pls post the screen shot of the usage from 11 to 2

I guess somebody had you password.. take caution and change you router password.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Inform the nearest Internet exchange (NIB as its known over here). U will have to give a written complaint to them. These guys will start monitoring your account for any misuse and if it occurs, the other user will be suitable billed.

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Charan said:
pls post the screen shot of the usage from 11 to 2

I guess somebody had you password.. take caution and change you router password.

Here is the screenshot from my MAC, check if that helps..:confused: :confused:

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/4247/damnuseik6.th.jpg

One thing is that I use my computer only myself. So if someone got my router password, then will he able to use it remotely?

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Like mentioned, dont wait for the next attack to occur. Inform the NIB tomorrow itself and they will start monitoring your account.

praka123

left this forum longback
remember ur exchange authorities also can login to ur account!(personal experiance!) so...may be thief in the ship itself! :? go to some senior officer and have a writtern complaint!

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
debsuvra said:
One thing is that I use my computer only myself. So if someone got my router password, then will he able to use it remotely?

If your router's default password has not been changed, then one can easily access your router. And if u r in pppoe mode, your credentials are stored in the router itself, as it is the router which does the authentication. And lastly if your line is not port-binded anyone else can use it remotely.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
debsuvra said:
Here is the screenshot from my MAC, check if that helps..:confused: :confused:

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/4247/damnuseik6.th.jpg

I guess these are torrent activities cause there are over 150 MB uploaded.

I had read somewhere that one can scan a range of BSNL IP addresses and try to get into their router using the default password. This may not be true but I read it somethere.. may this forum itself. This is the reason I asked to change your router password...

By any chance did you give out you password to any of your friends?

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
cool_techie_tvm said:
If your router's default password has not been changed, then one can easily access your router. And if u r in pppoe mode, your credentials are stored in the router itself, as it is the router which does the authentication. And lastly if your line is not port-binded anyone else can use it remotely.

Yeah my default passwords are not changed, but I am in bridge mode, not in PPPOE mode. So, nothing is stored on the Router, then why is this happened?

UPDATE

After changing the Connection's password, at least today the account usage is exactly what I used. Let's see what happens in coming days.:rolleyes:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Looks like some illegal usage.
Inform to BSNL office.I cant say much about BSNL broadband, because I am not a dataone user.

Last edited:

dinesh_ymca

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
You need to log a complain with their helpdesk and then take the complain number. With reference to that complain number you can talk to to their seniors and get this issue checked. Also check that your pc is not having any virus. Scan your pc.
Regards
Dinesh
*Knowurtech.com
( Good technical articles )

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
dinesh_ymca said:
Also check that your pc is not having any virus. Scan your pc.
He has already mention that he has not used his PC for that period.Than how can any virus use bandwidth during those times.

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
ravi_9793 said:
He has already mention that he has not used his PC for that period.Than how can any virus use bandwidth during those times.
Yeah, I think this is a event of a keylogging or trojan. But I wonder how they managed to break into my MAC. I already heard of the MAC trojan, but I am sure I don't have it. :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
debsuvra said:
Yeah, I think this is a event of a keylogging or trojan. But I wonder how they managed to break into my MAC. I already heard of the MAC trojan, but I am sure I don't have it. :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused:
It can be done by some other ways also.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm said:
chnage ur router passrd dude..n dont use PPOE

lol..
yes..it is always recommended to change default password of modem/router...but No issue with PPPoE protocol.

bluepearl

troubleshooter
Anybody for PPPoE
What is it?
I am on a shared modem connection
What is a router password and how to change it?

Is it the same one which I got from ISP as username/password?

I got similar problems with my YOU tele PPPoE connection
I done torrent downloads of 150 Mbs
plus some Fedora updates of 200 Mbs

But in the bills it was 1200 MBs!! in 4 hrs??

Do they count torrent uploads too ??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ PPPoE is the technique which enables your modem/router to dial to your ISP instead of you having to enter password all the time. All routers/modems have configuration like WAN settings , NAT , DHCP ,firewall, PPPoE username/password etc etc, and to change that your need to access the routers settings page.

You will access that page using a browser and entering the web address as 192.168.1.1 which is standard for most routers. These settings page require you to provide a password , cause if there is no password anyone can change the settings :p..

By default the username is "admin" and password is also "admin"

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
bluepearl said:
Anybody for PPPoE
What is it?
PPPoE is protocol and make our internet connection always ON.With PPPoE , we need only to turn ON our PC, and internet is connected.No dialing as like Dial Up connection.

PPPOE works on Dynamic IP.

PPoE gives following advantages:
1) Keeps Changing IP every time customer LOGINS.
2) Best suited for Residential Users.
3) Saves IP for service provider.

I am on a shared modem connection
What is a router password and how to change it?

For this you need to read user manual.All beetal modem default:
username-->> admin
password-->> password , it can be admin also for some modem.

Is it the same one which I got from ISP as username/password?
No, this is different, and remember to change the default password given by your ISP.

I got similar problems with my YOU tele PPPoE connection
I done torrent downloads of 150 Mbs
plus some Fedora updates of 200 Mbs

But in the bills it was 1200 MBs!! in 4 hrs??
yes..they will count upload also..because you are using bandwidth.

Do they count torrent uploads too ??[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom