BSNL pantel IS701R review

Saurav2007

Broken In
After 24 hours of getting the device in hand, i will sum it up for you. Cost of the product was 3385/- including shipping

For specs:
T-Pad IS701R | Lowest cost tablet in market today Entry "consumption"device

Initially, an HDMI output was part of the specification but was not included.

Verdict:

1. Cheapest in India - but you get what u paid for
2. Decent build quality and decent screen resolution. Solitary front Camera is ok
3. Despite old ARM11 processor, there is not much of a lag and some multitasking is possible like playing music and browsing. You can play angry birds. Kindle, Aldiko, Adobe PDF, Winamp, Tuneinradio ran flawlessly. Browsing was fast with Dolphin Mini browser. Yahoo messenger worked fine. I could not make video calls with Skype (?) and even voice calls required the headset since the caller's voice was inaudible through built in speakers although the inbuilt mic did its job. Youtube android app did NOT work - got error 400 cannot connect
4. Battery life (Update: turning off wifi from setting's menu and reducing screen brightness to 40% gave me around 3 hours of video playback): average
5. Resistive touch is frustrating especially swipe function. G-sensor is often buggy. Typing was fine
6. The most disappointing aspect of the tablet is the dearth of good connectivity options. On connecting tablet to PC it only gets charged but device is not recognized by PC so you cannot transfer your PC files directly to tablet's internal memory (through mass storage mode) or the micro sd card! What i understand is that you will have to use a microsd adapter / card reader or download files off the net which IMO defeats the entire purpose of a tablet considering that most cheap mobile phone nowadays have this elementary feature
7. All in all - poor touch and poor connectivity drastically reduce the tablet's utility. It might be better than the original Aakash but the forthcoming upgraded Aakash 2 / Ubsilate 7+ promises a full sized USB port and 2G SIM slot apart from the new Cortex A8 processor
8. Update: i am comfortably using a 4 gb transcend pen drive with the tablet through a mini USB-OTG adapter which i bought from ebay for Rs 150/-.
9. Sound: built in speakers are sufficient for listening to some music or lectures. However, they sound just ok while playing high quality videos

Would love to know if i missed / overlooked any aspect of the device especially with regard to connectivity in mass storage mode.
Youtube android app is not working with this tablet.

Last edited:

iSLaND

Broken In
Hi Saurav,

Nice review. I have few questions.

1. First of all how did you get it? I have booked it on first day. Still got no communication from pantel.

2. About USB port - in specifications it claims to have a full sized USB port. does it ? I guess to connect usb 2g dongle there. Also pen drive for data transfer.

Thanks for review.

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
Hi Saurav,

Nice review. I have few questions.

1. First of all how did you get it? I have booked it on first day. Still got no communication from pantel.

2. About USB port - in specifications it claims to have a full sized USB port. does it ? I guess to connect usb 2g dongle there. Also pen drive for data transfer.

Thanks for review.

I booked it online. Then on 23rd march, i got email message that my penta tpad delivery was ready and i had to make payment via challan to any Punjab Nat Bank branch. Got it after 72 hrs of making payment. Bank charge Rs 25 extra and shipping cost rs 105 extra

There is a mini USB port only. If i connect it to PC/Laptop it is not recognized at all and neither is the inserted micro sd. I have written to support:-(

One word about battery backup. With wifi off, i got total backup of 4.5 hrs with infrequent use, no video and no games. On heavy use (wifi, video, games), i should get around 2.5 hrs only.

Last edited:

daveson

Right off the assembly line
Hai Saurav, I too have recieved an email stating that my penta tpad delivery is ready and before purchasing this tablet i want to clear some of my doubts regarding this tablet so please clear my doubts. 1. How does this tablet work with resistive screen especially while playing games like angry birds and but the rope [ Note that i use a mobile with resistive screen and working with resistive screen is ok with me.] 2. And does it get heated up very soon after an usage of an hour or two. 3. And about G-Sensor can i smoothly play motion sensing games like adrenaline and racing moto. 4. Can i connect a transcend usb to its usb slot. 5. And what are the methods through which i can connect for internet apart from wifi [ like connecting a mobile through its usb cable ] 6. Can it be upgraded to the latest android versions like 3.0 7. And how is the video and audio experience with speakers and while playing hd videos. Finally conclude by suggesting me wheather to in for this tablet or to wait for aakash 2 which comes with a capacitive touch screen and sim slot. and also send of a video showing this penta tablet.

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
* I have inserted transcend micro sd card class 4 8 gb card and it works flawlessly
* This is my first tablet - so while i perceived some heating up, it was IMO quite mild and nothing alarming
* Video playback with mobo video player was satisfactory - built in speakers are okay for playing music but playback with earphones is much better. If you turn wifi off from settings, 3 hours of video playback is possible (to extract more juice from battery, turn wifi off completely and reduce brightness of the display)
* I found the G Sensor irritating and turned it off. I have no clue whether motion gaming is possible. I am not into mobile gaming and this tablet with its meager specifications is apparently not geared for quality gaming.
* If you have BSNL in your state, then buy the Rs 3500/- version which has inbuilt BSNL sim with some data plan. Base model without BSNL offer does not mention any SIM slot. I don't know how to connect dongle to micro USB port so could not test it either. So far the support has not responded either

Issues which i currently face:

* How to establish connection between PC/laptop/pen drive and tablet through the microusb port?
* Wifi is working only with SSID on. If you don't broadcast your network's SSID, tablet will fail to identify the network connection...why does this happen?
* Why does android youtubeapp fail to connect / is dysfunctional with my tab?

atal

hi,

what all you got with the tablet. charger, and normal usb to mini/micro usb cable? they are advertising that we can plug a data card. may be they could have given something like otg adapter to usb like below.

eBay: otg

jd91

Broken In
got my 701r tab yesterday
costed me rs 3450 in all (3250+25+175)
i fully agree with saurav's review
but i would say that this tab is worth what you r paying for and it is much better than ubislate 7+
my friend has got 7+ and poor thing is very slow and if you multitask then god help you
as per the issue with youtube network error 400 i m facing the same problem
i checked on net and got a solution ie to install flash player 11 from g market
download it on your pc transfer it to sd card root then use built in app manager to install it and then reboot device.
not tried yet but gonna try now.
i will update on this issue soon

vikash_kumar_mehra@yahoo.

Hi Saurabh,
I received the IS701R Tpad yesterday only and confused in many things. I need your favour for clarifications of below points:-
1) Can we call any person like Mobile
2) I wish to get it activated but unable to know where and how to insert SIM
3) Can we unlock BSNL lock and insert any other SIM?
4) Which plan of BSNL will be best suited for this set?

atal

Hi Saurabh,
I received the IS701R Tpad yesterday only and confused in many things. I need your favour for clarifications of below points:-
1. this model doesnt have sim slot, read FAQs on pantel site properly.
2. same as above.
3. same as above.
4. Now in pantel site they mention supported datacards, lot of evdo,wcdma datacards listed. go to bsnl office with the device models in hand. pick a usb modem and take the plan for that. if usb models of others players listed or unlocked modems can be used with other players.

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
Hi Saurabh,

T-Pad IS701R With BSNL | Wide-Screen viewing World-best features for professionals

There is a list of dongles which are supposed to work with this tablet. I have not tried any dongle yet. Call their support and see if they can clarify on these issues

hi,

what all you got with the tablet. charger, and normal usb to mini/micro usb cable? they are advertising that we can plug a data card. may be they could have given something like otg adapter to usb like below.

eBay: otg

They have provided a normal mini USB to USB cable (the ac adapter requires this cable to be plugged into it). But otg adapter was not provided

got my 701r tab yesterday
costed me rs 3450 in all (3250+25+175)
i fully agree with saurav's review
but i would say that this tab is worth what you r paying for and it is much better than ubislate 7+
my friend has got 7+ and poor thing is very slow and if you multitask then god help you
as per the issue with youtube network error 400 i m facing the same problem
i checked on net and got a solution ie to install flash player 11 from g market
download it on your pc transfer it to sd card root then use built in app manager to install it and then reboot device.
not tried yet but gonna try now.
i will update on this issue soon

thanks for the update. :)
Can you check if any OTG adapter works with the tablet?

atal

Mini USB 5 Pin Male to Normal USB Female Adapter OTG Cable for CAR Tablet Mobile | eBay

I think we need this type of connector to play with accessories.

PS: i have booked the tablet from sbicardmegamall 3days back but its not yet shipped. waiting for my tablet then i will do all the hacking.

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
Mini USB 5 Pin Male to Normal USB Female Adapter OTG Cable for CAR Tablet Mobile | eBay

I think we need this type of connector to play with accessories.

PS: i have booked the tablet from sbicardmegamall 3days back but its not yet shipped. waiting for my tablet then i will do all the hacking.

Just got an email reply from pantel support:|

"Thank you for contacting Pantel Technologies this is inform you that TPAD not be connected to the PC directly you have to use card reader
for transfer files. we are sorry for the inconvenience."

---> If you have a spare OTG cable, do give it a try since there is now nothing to lose....

rakeshkumar

Hello,

I have recived the Penta-Tablet

But facing following problems:
1. How to connect pen drive/Flash drive
2. How to insert sim for internet through dongle

please suggest

prtk_pancholi

hi i am pratik pancholi?
i got mail from pantel that my t-pad is ready and i paid for it in PNB via challan.
i just want to know that 'do i get any confirmation mail regarding payment and date of delivery of penta t-pad?'

and what are the things which they give with pantel?? does it contain any booklet of how to use table?

prtk_pancholi

Just got an email reply from pantel support:|

"Thank you for contacting Pantel Technologies this is inform you that TPAD not be connected to the PC directly you have to use card reader
for transfer files. we are sorry for the inconvenience."

---> If you have a spare OTG cable, do give it a try since there is now nothing to lose....

hi i am pratik pancholi?
i got mail from pantel that my t-pad is ready and i paid for it in PNB via challan.
i just want to know that 'do i get any confirmation mail regarding payment and date of delivery of penta t-pad?'

and what are the things which they give with pantel?? does it contain any booklet of how to use table?

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
hi i am pratik pancholi?

I did not receive any email confirmation regarding payment. My TPAD was delivered after 3 working days post payment

You will get a charger (usb cable which only charges the tablet) and a AC adapter which requires the usb cable to be attached with it. There was a single page sheet of instructions

OP
S

Saurav2007

Broken In
It does support a pen drive after all:D

Thanks to gogi for this splendid review.

*www.gogi.in/bsnl-penta-is701r-unboxing-review-video.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom