BSNL EV-DO Datacard – Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
On 13th March 2009, utilizing the BSNL-Bangalore “Ugadi mela” offer, I registered for an EVDO card (wireless Internet – unlimited) on a rental of Rs.200/-p.m and fixed monthly charges of Rs. 550/- p.m. by just paying the refundable security deposit of Rs 1000/-.(activation charge Rs.500/- waived + 20% discount on the first month’s fixed charges).

The lady at the CSC counter informed me that in case I find the service in our area unsatisfactory, I can return the card after three months and take back the security deposit.To a specific query whether the rental paid and the security deposit will be adjusted towards the outright purchase of the device - Rs. 3500, in case I decide to go for it, she replied in the affirmative. (I am skeptical of the rent-paid adjustment though).

The registration formality was over in five minutes (1130 hrs.) with my handing over the filled-in application form alongwith a photograph , a copy of my Photo-id and cash Rs.1000 . The registration card with my WLL telephone number and consumer No. alongwith the device package was handed over to me with instructions to use the WLL telephone number as my user id and password and that the service will be activated within 24 hours.

For a FAQ on BSNL EV-DO see here (our own Gigacore administered) -This is more than a year old and needs to be updated in places.

And so here goes the review.

The Package:

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/32966_vldc7/datacardpackage.jpg

The package contains the Host( Wireless USB modem),an USB Extension Y cable, the CD ROM, and a Quick installation Guide.

While the USB device can be directly plugged into the USB port, one can use the extension cable to place the device at any convenient location. The cable has two connectors at one end. Where the power from one single USB port is not sufficient to drive the device, both the terminals can be plugged into two USB ports on the computer to resolve the issue.Needless to say the single end is plugged into the device.

The installation CD has the drivers for Windows XP and Vista as also the detailed User Guide.

The device itself – Model AC 8700 – bearing the BSNL logo, is manufactured by ZTE Corporation, P.R.China.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/32967_0h0lb/thedevice.jpg

Installation:

The CD autoruns. Just follow the wizard’s instructions. Halfway through, when prompted plug in the device into the computer’s USB port or into the extension cable. The new hardware is detected and the drivers installed.(In my case it is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3)
The installation went on without any hassles and at the end of it I had the “ZTE Wireless Terminal” icon on the desktop, the gateway to my wireless experience. Had a quick glance at the detailed User Guide in the CD.

Clicking on the icon brings up the ZTE Window on the desktop.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/32968_jcbzp/ZTE%20Window.jpg

Hitting on the “Settings” icon in the Main interface extends the settings window.Initially I only entered the eight digit WLL telephone number as the User ID and password and left everything else at default.( Phone: #777 ; Mode: Hybrid ; Auto Reconnect ticked. The default for both User and password were “card”)

With the set-up over by 0130hrs, I clicked on the “Connect/disconnect” icon only to be greeted with the message “No network detected” and the wait for activation begins.

By 1900hrs, the connection came alive and I was online – unlimited. (Surprisingly BSNL was very fast, for the best I expected was that it will be activated the next day –Saturday- failing which it was going to be Monday.)

On the staus bar the antenna symbol showed a 5 bar signal strength. That notifies maximum excellent signal strength. The mode “EVDO” appeared next to it.( With no network present earlier it was “X”)

Performance:

On theory, EVDO evolved to cater speeds upto 2.4 Mbps compared to the earlier “IX” mode upto 144Kbps.

Some quick checks over a period has revealed that even with maximum signal strength, the maximum speed that was attained in my setup was not more than 1200 Kbps.The download/upload speeds are never consistent and vary considerably from time to time, though the connection never drops.The upload speeds are much lower.

Test results from speedtest.net show download speeds from 130Kbps to 830Kbps and upload speeds from 43Kbps to 83Kbps.I shall post some screenshots later.

Web browsing experience has been quite satisfactory, though one can clearly make out the difference from the upto 2.4 Mbps Dataone connection.

Here is a picture of a large-file download.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/32970_orfcg/Filedownload.jpg
The same file was downloaded four times and here are the results.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/32969_kpm1e/Speeddwld.jpg

A 60MB file has taken 14,17,20 and 37 minutes at different times.

The Happiness Quotient:

The happiness Quotient with this type of connection depends on various factors and is quite likely to vary from person to person.

If you are always mobile and need to be online this may be the best option at this cost.

For a desktop-user like me, considering there is no cap on the data, again this could be the best service at this cost albeit the fact it takes almost double the time to download.Well 24 hours a day is quite a lot of time.The only factor is that one should be lucky enough to reside in a high signal strength area, preferably within 2 Kms from an EVDO enabled tower.

I am more than happy with this connection. Just to tell you the greatest advantage, Dataone was down in Bangalore from 14th March morning till 16th March morning but I went about as usual doing all the things online that I normally do - no more wire dependant.

unni

In the zone
Thanks for the review. I also want to buy this. But have no idea whether I will get EVDO signal in my place. Contacted the nearby BSNL exchange, but no use.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Nice review! Even if I take 20 min. average download time is not at all bad. 1200 KBPS OTA speed is not at all bad.

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Here are the results of some speed tests of my EVDO setup.
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/33342_akcl0/ST200309.jpg

About Wireless Internet and EVDO:
  • 1xRTT 50Kbps - 100Kbps Upload and Download, bursts to 144Kbps.
  • EVDO Rev 0: 400kbps-700kbps Download; bursts up to 2.0Mbps; 50kbps-100kbps Upload Speed; bursts to 144Kbps.
  • EVDO Rev A: 500Kbps-1, 000Kbps Download; bursts to 3.0Mbps; 300Kbps-400Kbps Upload Speed; bursts to 1.8Mbps
  • EV-DO - Evolution Data Optimized
  • Personal broadband wireless service for a wide range of customers, from business people to students
  • Always on - - similar to DSL (wherever DO capability is available)
  • Rides on CDMA signal- 1x data capability – If rolled-out should be available everywhere CDMA voice service available
  • Up to 10 times the peak data rate of the next best public wireless solution - 400 to 1,000 Kbps average (kilobits per second) comparable to DSL speeds
  • Allows the user to be connected wherever they are not only for email, but for downloads, large files, photos, spreadsheets, etc.
  • Users can work on a large variety of applications, including the MS Office Suite and others, so they can do business anywhere! Access mission-critical documents and information wherever you are.
  • Gives “plug and play” of business functions, games and Internet access anywhere!
  • Advantages over WiFi:
    • Always on with seamless roaming!
    • Signal can travel on same cell sites as cell phones
    • No 300-ft range from the cell tower or hot spot
    • Can download and run video clips in real time
    • Can provide service to customers outside of cable-modem or DSL areas
  • Relatively low cost with high capacity - allows rich web browsing and application usage
In USA, EVDO is available on the Verizon and Sprint networks. Verizon network is 100% Rev A (upto 3Mbps)
More info here
BSNL, Tata Indicom, Reliance Communications Wireless Broadband:

BSNL, as of today, is only rolling out EVDO Rev 0 (upto 2Mbps) service.
For BSNL EVDO-enabled cities check here
And tariff here

Tata Indicom:

In the wireless broadband category, Tata Indicom’s EVDO Rev A (upto 3.1Mbps) christened Photon+USB modem service is available in select areas of Bangalore, Chennai, Jaipur, Mumbai, Jammu & Kashmir & North East States.
For the Photon+ Unlimited the Tariff is Rs.1250/per month. For Time-based (Pay-as-you-go, 1hr/day, 2hr/day) and MB-based (0.5GB and 2 GB) plans, the monthly charges range from Rs.250 to Rs.1000. More details here
On fine print (zoomed here):All Unlimited plans have a fair usage clause of 15 GB, post which additional usage rate will be Re 1 /MB
USB modem will be on Sale model. (Cost, manufacturer not indicated in the public domain)

Reliance Netconnect Broadband +:

Just last Thursday, the 12th March 2009, Reliance Communications announced the launch of its EVDO Rev A (upto 3.1Mbps) service to be rolled out in 35 cities. Cities covered here
The USB modem will either be Huawei EC168C or ZTE AC871. Cost Rs. 3500.
The monthly charges for Pay-as-you-go,1GB,2.5GB,5GB and night unlimited plans are Rs.299, 650, 850, 1099 and 499 respectively.
For the city-wide unlimited plan the monthly charge is Rs.1099 and for nation-wide Rs.1750
Tariff details here
On fine print (zoomed here):Unlimited usage plans will have a fair usage policy of 10 GB/month. Beyond which the customer will be charged at Rs. 2/- per MB

It is quite evident that BSNL’s tariff for the unlimited plan is the most affordable and wallet-friendly. There are no fine prints, it is truly unlimited and BSNL has no other plans either time-limited or MB-limited.
The service so far appears to be more than satisfactory and will be the winner hands-down if they improve upon and continue to offer a good service.
Users of Tata Indicom Photon+ and Reliance Netconnect+ are welcome to share their experience here.

Last edited:
OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Sorry, I don't torrent.So cannot answer from experience..From what I have heard there are problems. Mebbe Gigacore can answer. Calling Gigacore. Gigacore, r u listening?:)

Last edited:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Nice review... will be pleased to see this review on my forum. And I will publish it on the homepage :)

Even torrents works fine. I get 50-80 KBps (same as the max speed I get with direct download).most of the times. I get speeds like 512kbps to 1.2Mbps.

There are people in my forum who has reported speeds reaching 2Mbps and torrent speeds reaching 200+ KBps!

Before there was an issue of port forwarding. But now, I noticed ports get half-open sometimes. And with linux, you will face no issues at all.

shantanu

Technomancer
hmm !! i used that service !! sucks at 1X , EVDO ROCKS... but giga .. the ip is what makes it great isnt it ?

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Thanks @Gigacore. That was indeed a lightning and enlightening response.
I donno Digit's policy on republishing the same review in another forum.
In any case , you may always give a link to this review in your forum - of which I too am a member since last few days with the same nick - and I think Digit will only be too pleased.
Thanks again.:)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@Ponmayilal, ok :)

@Akshay: No BSNL in mumbai, so EVDO. Wait for MTNL to start or go for reliance. I dunno how's reliance evdo service at ur place.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
@gigacore

But isnt roaming free with BSNL EVDO? I mean cant I use a Pune EVDO in Mumbai?

I use BSNL sim in Mumbai and use Dolphin network for GPRS. Somehow I am not being charged for GPRS (some goof up in BSNL system).

Roadripper

Journeyman
I am confused whether to buy or not .. coz morning i ll be office and i come 2 room by 10 or so then i want to use net and i sleep late til 4 or so .. which one shud i go i want cheap and affordable coz morning i wont be using from Mangalore donno if EVDO tower is there here... wat do guys /?? want to use it wit my laptop...downloadin + browsing at nite only..

jainanshal

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone.. i have few questions on EVDO
1. Is bsnl giving public ip on EVDO now?
2. Can this EVDO connection be shared, i mean i have 2 more systems on LAN can i share EVDO network with them using switch like i can do in ADSL connection?
BTW I am from bangalore, anybody staying in Marathalli, chinnapannahalli or AECS layout can confirm EVDO coverage in any of these areas.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom