BSNL EV-DO Datacard – Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
The guy at bsnl told nitesh's dad that the total initial amount for buyin the device will cost around 7k........ and i had thought it would be around 4k........ can tell me which is the actual one????

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Tariff for BSNL EVDO:
For internet:
Fixed monthly charge: Rs 550.
For Data card (USB Modem):
Rs. 3500/- if bought.
Alternative:
Fixed monthly charge for USB modem card (rental) Rs. 200.
Initial Security Deposit: Rs 1000/- (refundable when you return the modem)
So if you buy the modem, you will be paying only the internet charges of Rs.550/- p.m
If you take the modem on rent you will be paying Rs.750/- (Rs.550+Rs. 200) p.m. apart from the refundable Initial deposit Rs.1000/- Since the minimum hire period is three months, you may be charged for three months in the first bill but it will get adjusted in the subsequent bills.( their billing procedure is still not very clear to me. May be they themselves are not clear:lol:. But you can be rest assured that if there are any errors, they will rectify when brought to their notice.)

Tariff here

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Tariff for BSNL EVDO:
For internet:
Fixed monthly charge: Rs 550.
For Data card (USB Modem):
Rs. 3500/- if bought.
Alternative:
Fixed monthly charge for USB modem card (rental) Rs. 200.
Initial Security Deposit: Rs 1000/- (refundable when you return the modem)
So if you buy the modem, you will be paying only the internet charges of Rs.550/- p.m
If you take the modem on rent you will be paying Rs.750/- (Rs.550+Rs. 200) p.m. apart from the refundable Initial deposit Rs.1000/- Since the minimum hire period is three months, you may be charged for three months in the first bill but it will get adjusted in the subsequent bills.( their billing procedure is still not very clear to me. May be they themselves are not clear:lol:. But you can be rest assured that if there are any errors, they will rectify when brought to their notice.)

Tariff here

OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Yes of course.
Whether you buy the card or take it on rental, you may have to pay activation charges of Rs.500.
But ........... be aware. If you buy the card and then find that the service in your area is not satisfactory,while you may be granted a service disconnection on request, BSNL will not take back the card.
So buy it only if you are damn sure that service in your area is satisfactory. (It all depends on whether your nearest BSNL base stations (towers) are EVDO-enabled and the distance to you)

If you are not sure, I would recommend taking it on rental, so that you may return it after three months, in case the service in your area is not satisfactory.

If you are satisfied you can buy it after one, two or three months as you may choose and thereafter no rental will be charged.(Please read through all the posts where all these have been brought out)

awww

Banned
my hunt for evdo card in chennai is getting worse day by day
i was asking for it for last one month
so far i've been to tidal park,velacherry,adayar,r.k nagar,guindy,bsnl offices and they finally gave a proper bsnl office address in guindy today
when i went there they said that they ran out of EVDO card so i have to come back after tendays.
may be i should start writing a blog about it soon
about how many busses i took everyday and how long i walked and waited in bsnl office for the people in charge to return after having their leisure time
it might make a interesting story for everyone to read.

Last edited:
OP
Ponmayilal

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
In spite of clear advice given in this review to "try before you buy", many people seem to have rushed into buying the EVDO datacard only to find that it does not perform satisfactorily in their area. I am afraid they have to blame themselves for their impulsive buy.

After trying the Data card for more than five months, I bought the card in early September. Needless to say I was more than satisfied.

Starting September, BSNL has started assigning 117 class dynamic IPs (117.xxx.xxx.xxx). Many people have since then reported an increase in speed and no problems with torrents & rapidshare.I had never felt the need to check the speed for a long long time since there was no need but today I did, just to see whether there has been any real increase in speed as reported by others. Yes indeed and here is the result.

*www.speedtest.net/result/580835532.png

I now rue the day I took it on rent (instead of committing the mistake of buying it straightaway):-x :smile:

P.S. This post is courtesy EVDO data card for my Home-500 seems to have gone on leave since early morning to celebrate Gandhi Jayanthi. It is more than 12 hours now but BSNL cares not - facts of life.:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom