BSNL Dataone DNS Servers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FilledVoid

Which ones do you use in the Router configuration and on your system configuration.

On my Router I have the DNS servers which are shown in the Dataone 24 x 7 connection thread sticky. But on my Ubuntu Box I have it set to OpenDNS . Which should I preferably keep?

OP
F

FilledVoid

I gave the request form for changing my connection from 250 to 500 yesterday. The BSNL appoopan wasn't very happy on seeing me the next day I got my connection :D

OP
F

FilledVoid

praka123 said:
so ur on H500 Now,congratulations :)

Well actually IM on the Home250 and Ive given a request for upgrading to a 500 and I must say that the modem Utstarcom 300R2U is a pain in the rear to configure.

OP
F

FilledVoid

cool_techie_tvm said:
Nice timing. Since u gave the application yesterday, they will be upgrading your account by today itself.

I doubt that . According to the person I spoke to.He said it would get updated when the next phone bill starts.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#BSNL_Broadband_.28dataone.29_speedup

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
opendns which i use on Linux.no router pppoe dialer for me ;)
why don't you use PPPoE rather than bridge connection. a PPPoE is lot more stable & you need a always on true broadband.

praka123

left this forum longback
^for me on/off bridge mode is good :) do u think any gain in speed if i switch to router dialer(as i believe pppoe mode means router dialer right?)?regarding stability my connxn is damn stable,it doesnt cut anytime. :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
^for me on/off bridge mode is good :) do u think any gain in speed if i switch to router dialer(as i believe pppoe mode means router dialer right?)?regarding stability my connxn is damn stable,it doesnt cut anytime. :)
okay but still you don't have always on Internet:p

praka123

left this forum longback
I dont want that way!but u can use pppoeconf(or edit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider) to have always on enabled.each time Linux boots internet is ON! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19.gif

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
I dont want that way!but u can use pppoeconf(or edit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider) to have always on enabled.each time Linux boots internet is ON! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/19.gif
then why don't use PPPoE connection?
is that method bad or is there any loss in speed?

praka123

left this forum longback
I like to manually dial on and dial-off dataone.i made shortcuts on Gnome-panel for ON and OFF as below:
*img101.imageshack.us/img101/8545/screenshotto8.png
I like to configure things in my Linux box,not in router.a simple preference.and yes,there is some chance of password theft if someone by any chance telnet into ur router and get access to ur dataone username and password.
better u change the default password for "admin" to something else!.

I periodically change dataone passwd,after i saw a demo how the engineer in bsnl logged with my id :) that's enough for my confidence!also there are arseoles who collects bb username and passwd from router's pppoe-inbuilt dialer.so I think better I have it configured in My Debian via pppoe tools.and iptables Firewall gives adequate protection :)

arunks

Hey here is the aks
how have u entered dsl on off shortcuts on gnome-panel..

can u plz tell me.

i also want to add them

praka123

left this forum longback
OK. :) here it is the thread:
see the attachments.it is just a simple shortcut. :)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64104

OP
F

FilledVoid

I like to configure things in my Linux box,not in router.a simple preference.and yes,there is some chance of password theft if someone by any chance telnet into ur router and get access to ur dataone username and password.
better u change the default password for "admin" to something else!.

Does this method work. Cause this scares me lol. Can someone take your pwd and user name and then dial into BSNL and use your account?

praka123

left this forum longback
if u got ur dataone configured via router in-built dialer(pppoe mode),make sure u change the password for "admin" of router via 192.168.1.1 most prolly.it is safe.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
praka123 said:
if u got ur dataone configured via router in-built dialer(pppoe mode),make sure u change the password for "admin" of router via 192.168.1.1 most prolly.it is safe.
i even changed user name :cool:
also i tried hacking myself to check gladly my ports are blocked:D
also port binding is in place so no worries;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom