BSNL Broadband frequent disconnection problem

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi, I have a 500BB (night unlimited) 2mbps combo plan. Two months back my modem conked off due to lightning. Then I purchased a new modem 'Belkin G Wireless Modem Router' from ebay. Now the problem is that the connection gets disconnected frequently like 3 or 4 times in a minute. sometimes it will work without any problem. I have never experienced such a problem before. I'm using the modem in bridged mode so that i dial from my pc to establish the connection. I contacted the exchange and they said the problem may be with the new modem. Any suggestions? Will the always on mode help? If using this method, then how will i disconnect before 2am and 8am?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Please elaborate the DSL goes off or the connection from the pc also try seeting the modem to PPPOE mode and set the idle disconnect timeout to never
If the DSL goes off then prob. is the line problem then take it to the BSNL office & check it there connected to ur line otherwise it is a PC or modem problem try checking with another PC or Laptop if possible check ur modem in ur friends place first u have to findout what is the reason of the problem try these & get back good luck

OP
baiju

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks. i actually tried all the above, but the problem persists. I think it is a problem with the exchange.

Anish

Spectre
Register a complaint in BSNL and ask them to come and check the telephone cable. A damaged cable also causes exactly the same problem stated by you.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
U r welcome better off u rush to their office with ur modem on monday & tell them to check it there connected to ur phone line then let us know what happened

nims11

BIOS Terminator
goto your modem config page and see your SNR and attenuation value. what is it?

also what is your current ADSL mode?

try connecting your landline phoneset to the line and check for any noise.

regarding on how to disconnect in always on mode, you can do that easily through the modem config page. btw you can also leave it on and schedule your downloads through the scheduler of your download client.

OP
baiju

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Register a complaint in BSNL and ask them to come and check the telephone cable. A damaged cable also causes exactly the same problem stated by you.

U r welcome better off u rush to their office with ur modem on monday & tell them to check it there connected to ur phone line then let us know what happened

@Anish and Mithun - Thanks for the reply. I already contacted them.

goto your modem config page and see your SNR and attenuation value. what is it?

also what is your current ADSL mode?

try connecting your landline phoneset to the line and check for any noise.

regarding on how to disconnect in always on mode, you can do that easily through the modem config page. btw you can also leave it on and schedule your downloads through the scheduler of your download client.

yeah like nims11 said monitor snr and attenuation value for 5min

I have set the modem in bridged mode so that i dial from my pc. There is no noise in telephone. I want to disconnect the modem before 2am and before 8am so as to avoid adding the data downloaded during that time to the download limit (1.5GB). I have found a tool that will reset the modem at these time.

This what is shown in the modem page

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 992 836

Noise Margin 25 4

Output power(dBm) 8960 0

Attenuation(dB) 15 6

Also I'm getting 90 to 100KBps download speed only. I have read in the forum others getting 200KBps or so.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
If you want to connect & disconnect at specific times try creating 2 Batch files by using the Rasdial command & schedule them to run at the specific times using task sccheduler
For connect "Rasdial urconnectionname username password"
For disconnect "rasdial urconnectionname /disconnect"
Type Rasdial /? for more info

OP
baiju

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
If you want to connect & disconnect at specific times try creating 2 Batch files by using the Rasdial command & schedule them to run at the specific times using task sccheduler
For connect "Rasdial urconnectionname username password"
For disconnect "rasdial urconnectionname /disconnect"
Type Rasdial /? for more info

I'm using the same method. It is not about connecting or disconnecting at specific time, but disconnection problem. The connection disconnects automatically as worst as 5 to 10 times in a minute. sometimes it will work without any problem. This happened after my old modem fried in a lightning. Interesting - the connection broke atleast 5 times while writing this.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
your SNR up is too low.
you didnt tell your modem's current ADSL mode..
see if it is set to something like ADSL2+ or ADSL2+AUTO

titoforu

Right off the assembly line
some time ago i have same prob with my Nokia Siemens modem. In my case it's a power adapter problem.:)

Top Bottom