Bose Companion 3: Gave em' back

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
My dealer recently had a sale which included the Bose Companion 3 speaker system for 6k (second hand of course). Anyway, I immediately went over there to check them out. Thing is, the dealer only played the 'demo' songs which includes the songs perfect for this system. I wasn't floored, but for 6k they were worth it.

Brought them home and plugged them into the Mac. Played one song, another. All that is produced is treble, a lot of it (must be due to its small speaker drivers) and bass. The Bass was good, but not good enough to justify the lack in midrange. I played an episode of Lost on it, nothing compared to the Logitech Z5500. Even the Altec Lansing ATP-3 would take these speakers.

*www.proaudiosuperstore.com/media/companion3-lg.jpg

Only songs like those by UB40, and pop songs sound okay on it. For movies it is a complete no-no.

The design though is very nice. The subwoofer though it 'feels' cheap, produces some nice bass. The satellites stay sturdy on the glass table due to rubber footing. The control pod is the best. It includes input and output and volume control. Best part is one just has to even lightly tap it and the speakers come to life.

They are also not at all loud, though they don't jarr at high volume.

Immediately called up my dealer and told him I'm getting this rubbish back. Apparently some idiot bought the same speakers the next day for 9k (I always get special rates, I'm sure of this).

Bottom line: Stay away from these! [And MAYBE other bose speakers as well]

Now if someone could please recommend me some nice 2.1 speakers with a budget upto 12k, it would be great.

My mind creates thoughts regarding these few:
Logitech Z2300
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (not the GMX). Although I don't know where to get these
Altec Lansing MX5021...I'm more inclined towards the Z2300's though cause of the amazing sound of the Z5500.
If ch@os could recommend some kind of self assembled system (which should look elegant)

Last edited:

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Only songs like those by UB40, and pop songs sound okay on it. For movies it is a complete no-no.
This is not a speaker set meant for movie veiwing is it ? Correct me if I'm wrong..

Bottom line: Stay away from these! And all other bose...!
I would beg to differ... Sir, have you tested all the high grade Bose Speaker sets ? In case you have and your opinion is this, I won't comment since I've not heard a Bose before... But from what I've read and as per hear-say, Bose are among the best in the business... Pardon me if any offense was caused.. But I'm shocked at that statement...

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
yeh sir kya hota hai?

You are not wrong in the first case. However, i have heard bose speakers costing 2.5lacs, and they didn't impress me at all. I do like the bass, but not when it comes to watching a movie. It is suited for rich people who have no idea about sound, but want to show the world that they've got some expensive speaker system. I mean, no one would know what Thiel or Krell means these days...

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ These were two month old speakers. Nothing wrong with them, sounding as they are supposed to. In fact, I thought the same, that they were second hand, but my dealer has the same speakers in his office, which I heard were exactly the same as these.

And did I mention that I've heard 2.5lacs worth speakers in an acoustically tuned room? Good for maybe some kinds of music, but definitely not for movies.

Anyway, I guess you are right, I can't make a judgement about an entire product line based on two of their products.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well a frnd of mine has got Custom Bose speakers installed in his home , well they virtually rock the house . they look damn sexy , and they've even got automatic height adjustable stands which have sensors , you just sit n they'lll adjust their height accordingly to give perfect noise to your ears .

but the price is on the very very very high side , the whole custom setup is greater than 5k :shock: :shock:

you can compare them with the GFX scenario , like 8600 costa like bout 10k n 8800 gtx , which is bout 10-20% faster than 8600 costs 40k . so you pay a very high premium to buy the-best available option even if the one you're buying isn't marginally better than he second-best .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom