Bootable USB Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuragingle

Broken In
I have an iso image file which when burned to a cd creates a bootable cd. is there anyway to burn the iso image to usb flash drive to create a bootable usb drive?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
NO , since usb requires drivers to be installed, so when you boot from the usb itself it will not have usb drivers installed on that drive hence cannot be detected by system.

OP
A

anuragingle

Broken In
but dude u can create bootable usb drive, search in google, i just want to know how do i add the files from my iso image to the bootable usb drive

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
do u want bootable CD of OS such like XP/2000 etc...........then its not possible due to the reason I gave u.

If you want auto start the CD (bootable is different) but from the usb drive then yes that is possible, u need to extract the files from the ISO by using software such as Magic ISO or even winrar can extract the ISO /bin files , once done copy the content of the folder to the usb root drive.

But I guess u may need to change boot sequence in BIOS............again the same problem might come, there is no Native support for usb so it may not get detected.

Let us know if this works for you.

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
Its possible to boot PC from Pendrive. Normally all new mobo support this.

Check an example here for DSL.

One earlier issue of Digit has given DSL on its CD. The mag contained the method for making bootable USB.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Good to know that now new mobo have legacy support for usb drives, with this it means that you can install xp on a usb pendrive & carry on travel & plug it into any internet cafe.........................but that mobo will still not be able to boot since its old one.

So I wonder whats the use of making bootable usb drive> am I missing something?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
This might of ur interest for making portable usb bootable softwares, looks interesting. I got to know on other forum about these links, so thought it might help here too.

*www.thinstall.com/solutions/usb_apps.php

found another one
*mikicun.blogsome.com/

But I still wonder wont these software run very slow bcoz of the usb drive speed, does it really benefit if at all?

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Do let me know how it works, it sound intresting if it work slike that, but I dont have a usb drive to try this, so will wait to hear from those who try this out.

Web is full of mysteries u dream of it & ask here & sure u finally get some gud info on the subject.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
found another software making your dream come true
*www.mojopac.com/portal/content/how/

Life is soon going to be lived in portable usb devices.

Guys anyone tried these solutions can you give some feedback, I would like to know how these devices work?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
No body tried so I did

just installed on my usb disk & I am able to install all my softwares (YES ALL software) & can connect to any PC mine or in the internet cafe & use my usb as my portable desktop.

That great solution.

So now just install XP on ur C drive & no need to install any other program on desktop C,

connect usb & install mojopac on usb drive
you need to make some config changes to usb hardware properties.

then start mojopac &what it does is it adopts host system & now u install all ur softwares on this C drive (actually mojopac drive)

So now whenever u loose XP , any virus, or any other trouble u just need to reinstall or repair XP on ur desktop system.

No need to reinstall all ur programs.

Isn't that great?

Note: this works even on usb sticks but will be too slow i guess, I have installed on a usb 2.0 device which is 7200 RPM seagate portable disk & it works like a normal PC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom