book on python

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitash

Intel OCer
Please suggest a good book for learning python..I am a beginner and I want to learn it from scratch...Also I want to start with gui's after Im done with learning the other parts and I want to know which kit to use with it like QT or Tkinter...Please suggest books for these too.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If you're willing to buy a book in hard-copy now, do get Core Python Programming, Second Edition - Wesley J. Chun. Its written for Python versions up to 2.5. (2.6 is not much different, but 3.0 is VERY different and non-backwards compatible)

For a free e-book instead, get Swaroop C.H.'s A Byte of Python.

As for the GUI part, I suggest using the Nokia's Qt Software (PyQt4 by Riverbank Computing, for the Python version). Its really easy to get going with, having its base set in Object Oriented development methods.

Tkinter is old, I'm not sure if you would enjoy it, though its pretty simple.

OP
amitash

amitash

Intel OCer
Thanks....But will the first book ou suggested hinder my progress as its not for python 3.0?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I would suggest O'Reilly's Learning Python by Mark Lutz.
But currently you have for 2.x version. But it prepares the reader for Python 3.
Python 3 would also take some time to become mainstream, even though it's released, so I suggest you learn Python 2.x at this time.
And when Python 3 becomes mainstream, there would be some differences which you refer through the internet. Though it's backward incompatible but it is same in terms of philosophy and thinking.

Also Free Books:
Dive into Python *www.diveintopython.org/ (for experienced programmers)
A Byte of Python *www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python - Also has Python 3 version
Python Think like a Computer Scientist *openbookproject.net/thinkCSpy/index.xhtml

Also look here:
*wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks
*learnpython.pbwiki.com/

Good Luck with your python adventure :)

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
There's not so many changes. A trip to the official Python documentation pages will give you all you need to know about... everything!

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
If you're willing to buy a book in hard-copy now, do get Core Python Programming, Second Edition - Wesley J. Chun. Its written for Python versions up to 2.5. (2.6 is not much different, but 3.0 is VERY different and non-backwards compatible)

+1 for that book. me too got started a month back using that book.
The LPE costed me Rs.950/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom