Boarding School - pros and cons

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Re: Boarding School in North India

all fear. there are so many kids going to boarding school, it's funny to think they lost affection for their parents. Staying with your parents 24x7 is no guarantee of affection. At this rate Im surprised mothers actually cut off the umbilical cord. Why is affection important here anyway. It's just people have been saying these things, don't separate young child from mother and kid will become distant and some emotional things I cannot even comprehend. It starts there, but seen where it ends also. The typical indian child-parent relationship is completely dysfunctional with warped understandings of simple things like "trust" and "obedience" (mostly confusing one for the other).

boarding school is a great environment for children to learn many kinds of skills. Techniques used there are not used in day schools. It is a good opportunity, and OP if you choose to not send your child to boarding school, at least find a good reason and something sensible instead of a nebulous "omg don't abandon babby"

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

all fear. there are so many kids going to boarding school, it's funny to think they lost affection for their parents. Staying with your parents 24x7 is no guarantee of affection. At this rate Im surprised mothers actually cut off the umbilical cord. Why is affection important here anyway. It's just people have been saying these things, don't separate young child from mother and kid will become distant and some emotional things I cannot even comprehend. It starts there, but seen where it ends also. The typical indian child-parent relationship is completely dysfunctional with warped understandings of simple things like "trust" and "obedience" (mostly confusing one for the other).

boarding school is a great environment for children to learn many kinds of skills. Techniques used there are not used in day schools. It is a good opportunity, and OP if you choose to not send your child to boarding school, at least find a good reason and something sensible instead of a nebulous "omg don't abandon babby"

All these skills you talk about can be learned when he can go around the block and come back without getting lost, i.e., at an age when he is aware of stuff happening around.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

my moral compass is confused

I dont see anything wrong with what OP is doing but then again, if I was a father, id never do this to my kid..
I dont even know how to reply but my only advice is :
Send him to a "good" school, not necessarily a boarding school..

Last edited:
OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak

I've already said that the matter is under consideration. But majority of members thought that I'd already sent him.
I'll keep in mind the 'the good school' theory.

Secondly, the discussion has gone Off-Topic many a times and I request the Mods that please lock this thread :!:
This may prevent further misunderstanding between what has been asked and the given replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

^yes op, first deleted all comments, but there were too many. Will move off topic posts.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Deleting posts isn't a solution.

Let the OP decide what he wants to do. Atleast he's asking for advice, rather than doing whatever is on his mind.

While I too think that 4 year is too early for him to go live with strangers and that, that shouldn't be the case if there are other alternatives, we have to understand that OP might have some other priorities in life. I also do agree with some of the points mentioned by Anorion about the "Indian mentality", though do hope that he can atleast 'be in touch' with him should he decide to send him off to boarding school.

So, OP: Its better to google this and find opinions of parents who have send their kids to boarding, rather than take advice from us, who have no exposure like such.

(At this point, I keep remembering "Tare Zameen Par". Oh dear, didn't use to take myself too emo.)

Dr. House

No Regrets
I'm against sending a kid of such age to send boarding school. He will never ever value you as father as a normal kid. Psychology of such students who sent at such age is very different from normal kids, with less family values and more immorality in their lifestyle.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
I was put in boarding from 3rd standard.

That should be minimum possible barrier.

Ideal recommended school year is 7th.

Values,respect all that don't matter if you are fed with right qualities,ethics.

I being brought up in Joint Family never felt disrespect for anyone.Even my step mother.

If OP wants to enroll his/her child for overall development I would recommend it at 7th to 9th.
Probably where is good discipline and sports.

At a age of 4th year it's an unworthy decision.

**Boarding teaches you to adjust in your life**

Careful OP and All the Best!

axes2t2

I am a cat
TDF is filled with guys who stay at home all day,play games and watch anime.

What do you expect their opinion will be ?

So quick to pass judgement like bad parenting,mental and emotional state etc etc

OP do what you want.

Boarding school is fine.Just make sure the place gives a little bit more importance to sports related stuff.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

So quick to pass judgement like bad parenting,mental and emotional state etc etc

OP do what you want.

Boarding school is fine.Just make sure the place gives a little bit more importance to sports related stuff.

+1 Sports + Discipline.

You do want a strict school

Dr. House

No Regrets

OP do what you want.

Well you're very judgmental and seems to be an unworthy person. I am certified doctor, humanitarian activist, child rights supporter and did internship in psychiatry and pediatrics department of multi-specialty hospital as well. Age of 4 is very low for a boarding school. Many of 4 years can not even speak, sit and eat properly.
Mothercare is essential part of life. It is the best boarding school for him. At least student should be 10-12 for a boarding school.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

oh nothing will happen
there are still vacations, it is a great environment. @OP I suggest you take opinion from those who have gone to boarding school or those who send their children to such schools instead of those who have avoided it for whatever reason

Only piece of logical advice in this thread...

[MENTION=1512]reddick[/MENTION]

Just ignore the advice of the other people who have no experience of Boarding Schools and send your kid to Mayo College when he is eligible to be admitted there... I think they take kids starting from around 8/9 year olds... :) One of the best in the country!!!
Trust me, when he graduates from Mayo, he'll be more of a man than most people that you usually see around you...

axes2t2

I am a cat
Well you're very judgmental and seems to be an unworthy person. I am certified doctor, humanitarian activist, child rights supporter and did internship in psychiatry and pediatrics department of multi-specialty hospital as well. Age of 4 is very low for a boarding school. Many of 4 years can not even speak, sit and eat properly.
Mothercare is essential part of life. It is the best boarding school for him. At least student should be 10-12 for a boarding school.

And what about fathercare? That's not important ?

They didn't teach you that while you were getting your certificates ?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent

+1000 to this post too...

@OP

Send your Kid to Mayo when he is around 9 or 10...

Dr. House

No Regrets
And what about fathercare? That's not important ?

They didn't teach you that while you were getting your certificates ?

There is no so such word as 'fathercare' in any dictionary. Kindly first learn English and then argue with a professional person. Caring by father is important as well. But mothercare is more important than that because fathers don't give birth. As mother it's her natural duty to take care since infant period by giving immunity (IgG) through milk to all taking care, teaching basics to manners and etiquettes. Usually fathers are less sincere in taking care because of very low progesterone and other hormones, but again that is also a stereotype. Many of developed countries have concept of househusand, gay marriages and single fathers. Practically in our India mothers do take care of children from food and nutrition to medical checkups. Hope you understand and argue somewhere else where you got logical points.
Sayonara!

Makx

Game on
Even I went to boarding in 6th class when I was 10 years old, but 4 years is too young. In boarding it is all about self study, if the student is to do good in academics.
My aunt(mother's sister) sent her older son(also 4 year old) to boarding( sherwood in Nainital) and his academic performance declined by a lot, so she got him back to home at the end of the year.
And your child might feel home sick or get bullied (not necessarily), so listen to him.

axes2t2

I am a cat
There is no so such word as 'fathercare' in any dictionary. Kindly first learn English and then argue with a professional person. Caring by father is important as well. But mothercare is more important than that because fathers don't give birth. As mother it's her natural duty to take care since infant period by giving immunity (IgG) through milk to all taking care, teaching basics to manners and etiquettes. Usually fathers are less sincere in taking care because of very low progesterone and other hormones, but again that is also a stereotype. Many of developed countries have concept of househusand, gay marriages and single fathers. Practically in our India mothers do take care of children from food and nutrition to medical checkups. Hope you understand and argue somewhere else where you got logical points.
Sayonara!

And where does the sperm come from ?

- - - Updated - - -
@reddick

Talked to your wife about this ?

Last edited:
OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Yeah and she insisted that we should send him when he would be of 6 yrs. The point suits me well and now I'm inquiring for reputated boarding schools.

Top Bottom