Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy your mom something nice

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey guys ,

I am in a bit of confusion on whether to buy a Blu-Ray Player or WD Live TV hub for this Diwali. I currently don't have a HDTV (yet) but plan to buy in a couple of months. That aside , we watch a lot of movies (DVD's, Youtube Streaming, Downloads Etc) For download/streaming content we use a laptop connected to our TV.

My main concern when going for a BluRay player is the supported formats, im not sure if the players out there will support my collection . I had initially thought of buying a PS3, but dropped it as does not support different file formats out of the box.

Please let me know your opinion. I am thinking about WD TV Live (the new model) but not sure if its available in India yet. So thinking of going for WD TV Live Hub if the new model is not available.

Let me know you suggestions :)

EDIT: Budget Upto 10K

tkin

Back to school!!
I voted for Buy your mom something nice, cause other people will think I am selfish, else buy WD live player and enjoy movies downloaded from you know where ;)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD TV Live anyday of the week and thrice on weekends.

Buy your mom something nice? well, that's compulsory. :p

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Its around 5k i guess. Better ask our forum member asingh. He has one. Pm him to know the price.:smile:

The product is actually quite impressive specially the PlayOn HD2 model, the advantage of this over WD TV Live is that it has a user replaceable HDD and BitTorrent support :D
Got the site link from asingh Play On India

Will call those guys tomorrow and check if they have HD2 Model, else its a waste to buy the older model as it does not support YouTube.

WD TV Live anyday of the week and thrice on weekends.

Buy your mom something nice? well, that's compulsory. :p

Yes. if Playon HD2 is not available then im going for WD TV Live, BTW the new model has come out in India?

For mom, I'm thinking of Induction Cook-Top + Nice kitchen set :)

Got price update from the local dealer for AC Ryan PlayOn HD2 Media player and its 9K without HDD. and Computer Warehouse in Bangalore sells WD TV Live Hub with 1TB HDD for 9.5K + tax.

The advantage of Play ON HD2 is that it has got BitTorrent support, User Replaceable HDD slot, USB 3.0 port for faster file transfer, it can act as a NAS Box(Not sure if WD has this), Multimedia Card Reader, it also has a internal port to connect Pci-e Wifi board.

so is it worth to pay 9K + ~3K for 1TB HDD for PlayOn HD2? or should I go for WD TV Live Hub?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Update:
Bought Prestige Induction Cook Top for my mom . I also bought some other kitchen items. Damage ~3.8 K for the cook top , and other items came to ~5K :p
*prestigesmartkitchen.com/bmz_cache/2/235be811e9db8a0e6aed27b1c1dadd28.image.250x250.jpg

Im not sure if I will buy WD TV Live Hub this month :( , will keep you posted

Otto

Broken In
I'd suggest you buying WDTV, it's really worth the money. I'm using it almost every evening and never regret purchasing it. By the way, the interface of the player can be customized with special software, as an example, that's what I created with 'Movienizer':
*img827.imageshack.us/img827/5158/picture11i.th.jpg
Covers, movie info, all works like a charm:razz:

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I'd suggest you buying WDTV, it's really worth the money. I'm using it almost every evening and never regret purchasing it. By the way, the interface of the player can be customized with special software, as an example, that's what I created with 'Movienizer':
*img827.imageshack.us/img827/5158/picture11i.th.jpg
Covers, movie info, all works like a charm:razz:

Are you reffering to WDTV Live or WDTV Live Hub ? AFAIK the Live HUB cannot be hacked...

Broken In
I would suggest you to buy a media player (like WDTV as u mentioned, or similar) and BD-ROM for your PC/Laptop.

This is an excellent combination and works for me. I have more than 100 full blu-ray rips (30-50GB each) which I watch on my media player. :)

Otto

Broken In
Are you reffering to WDTV Live or WDTV Live Hub ? AFAIK the Live HUB cannot be hacked...

I made all this on my WDTV Live, but I'm sure it would work on other models as well.
Actually it isn't hacking. You just set up a new firmware version... modified:lol:

Top Bottom