Blue screen of death..save my Lappy

nomad_s

Broken In
Hi all,

I've a 4 yrs old Compaq v3029au laptop.
AMD turion dual core 1.61 Ghz
2 GB Transcend ram (upgraded)
80 GB HDD

2 months back I reinstalled XP and also installed Linux mint in dual boot mode. For XP I downloaded updated drivers from HP's site. But when I use my laptop all of a sudden it crashes and shows blue screen. sometime it shows " The driver..........................is not less or equal". though I've never seen the blue screen while running Linux.

Few dayz back it had another problem. The inbuilt Nvidia chip (go 6150) used to get heated up above 100 degrees causing automatic shutdown. So I got it opened and cleaned the chipset & fan and applied thermal paste. Afterthat it was working fine.

Do you think its due to drivers?? Should I reinstall the operating system or updating the driver will do the job?:duh2::duh2:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Do update the latest drivers for the IGP, and for the chipset. Give it a try.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Yes, but its better to try to troubleshoot it first. Format/reinstall the OS is killing a fly with a cannon..!
:)

OP
N

nomad_s

Broken In
Thanks @all
I want to install win7 ultimate this time. but the HP site doesn't provide drivers for win7 for my laptop. Is there another way to get the drivers and run Win7??

OP
N

nomad_s

Broken In
Installed Windows 7 ultimate and the drivers got auto installed after updating. and the blue screen of death doesn't appear anymore..

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Still DL the latest chipset drivers for Win7 and install them. Many stuff could be running on generic software. Unless Win7 auto-patched the exact vendor drivers.

Top Bottom