Broken In
system details

3 yr old intel pentium d915 2.8 ghz---------processor
new ati radeon hd 4870--------gpu
new 2gb kingston 800 mhz ----------memory
new seagate 500gb 7200----hd
new asus p5n73 -----------moboard
psu-- 500 watts psu

the problem now friends is....even when i play the oldest games like hulk or the newest like assasins creed 2 at whatever settings whether high or low i get a series of low and high fps alternatively independent of whats is being rendered.

eg : when i play grid at 1440 * 900 and ultra settings i get alternation of 80 fps and then 20 fps for say 20 seconds each even when the car is still or im at options by pressing escape.

only thing i can inform is that all the time cpu is about 80-90% load irrespective of fps in game whereas gpu is 1% load when low fps and 35% load when high fps

i have the latest driver.........no difference between the new driver and the old........also the tepmeratures remain stable at all times so no overheating issues
tried different xp setups, another psu as well........infact changed the whole motherboard and ram as well

can my processor be a problem say a bottleneck........thats the only old hardware i have in my current setup.........it does hover 85--90% during gaming.......or is it that my gpu is not functioning properly

i have heard processor are not a very big issue in gaming........

but even if its a bottleneck in new games it must not come in way of old games like hulk.

also i played grid well ie 45 fps with the same processor in medium settings with a 8600gt card. same settings and a better card ie 4870 gives less fps 20fps for 20 secs and then 90 fps for 10 secs ....... THATS WHAT IS BIZARRE....

another thing i would like to inform is that--------i have even tried two psu's together both 400 watts...........one ran the motherboard as well as other devices like hd and the other only the gpu...........

but even a combination of two made no difference at all at same
time - i would admit both are of 400 watts rating and are of cheaper quality....what i mean is 30$ around quality..............not the branded ones

ill really apppreciate if somone can help

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
forget about fps and forget about settings. how is the gameplay. are there any sudden slowdown and lagging in the game? or is it just the fps reading that is showing drop in framerate?

and 1440x900 should be just fine for your processor if it's dual core Pentium D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Your system should be fine. Not excellent. How are you calculating the FPS. FRAPS..?

There seems to be some other issue. Hardly CPU bottle neck.

OP
M

mawerickin

Broken In
using fraps............................ofcourse there is sudden slowdown while gaming.......in common hindi lanuage "atak atak ke chalta hai"

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Your CPU is a bottleneck but the main thing is which PSU are you using , i mean the brand name ?
Youe PSU , i think is not providing enough power for the card to run at its full potential .

OP
M

mawerickin

Broken In
problem solved. it was due to my processor thermal throttling itself due to a faulty sensor in the motherboard. someone at tomshardwre forum solved it

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Great it got solved. It would be pleasant if you could tell is how it was solved. Or give us the thread link for Tom's Hardware...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom