Biostar TP35D2-A7 + Intel E2160 overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

axxo

99.9% Idle
Overclocking is a good experience…which I feel now it should have been learnt long before.
After using two successive generations of AMD(Athlon XP & Athlon 64) I have been on to intel again since last few days.
And with a cost minded, restricted budget I bought the following peripherals for my new system.
Biostar TP35D2-A7
Intel Dual Core E2160 (1.8ghz)
2GB DDR2 800 Mhz Transcend (Single stick)
Coolermaster Elite 330 + 390W extreme power SMPS)
Antec Silver Thermal Compound 5
Few other old components retained

Just after been thru several overclocking guides and reviews, decided to start with bios mod.
Several trial & error approach made & this is what finally obtained.
Cpu Multiplier – 9x (default)
CPU FSB -333mhz( 200-700)
Memory Frequency – 400 mhz (400/667/800/1066)
DRAM Timings – 5-5-5-16
Everything else set to default/auto.

*img525.imageshack.us/img525/2010/oc1yv2.jpg

Under vista I ran orthos stress test for 45 mins..with no errors..but temps were quite high.(55 idle 85 max)

Reduced the cpu core 1.41(was set auto initially) to manual (+0.08v) which helps to keep the temp down by 7-8C
Currently the cpu runs @ 3Ghz, 4X333=(1.33ghz) FSB
Some benchmark results…..

*img178.imageshack.us/img178/9563/oc3qh1.jpg

*img267.imageshack.us/img267/1385/oc2fd4.jpg

Several websites that I come across mentioned with stock cooling the speed can be reached 3.4-3.6ghz…but anything further in my case cause the bios not to boot & giving annoying beeps regardless of the setting I choose..
Did I reach the saturation point? Using dual channel in place of single channel will make any difference? Or still have enough room to tweak? Plz give me some hints…Thx

Well, since you bought an intel pentium dual core system, you are lucky because as far as reviews from tomshardware.com are concerned, its a good processor for overclocking at budget, especially if you have a good rig. You have excellent RAM, and a decent mobo.(I guess you bought that processor as a temporary solution. correct me if I am wrong.)

I don't think dual channel means more OCing. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the best person to help you is darklord. Ask him.

OP
axxo

axxo

99.9% Idle
^ actually temporary solution is the processor...i will be upgrading to quad processor may be by end of this year or next year..
since the support is there for 45nm proc..i think i made proper choice..

yeh..hope to get tips from chotos, darkload & other hw geeks

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ i think in ur case the mobo is the main bottleneck for oc.though Intel P35 chipset is a good oc'er but ur mobo i think is not that good.
transcend rams r generally good oc'ers to.i hav managed to run my 667MHz ram @ 867MHz.

try the following:
set fsb to 357mhz,ram to 714,pcie to 100,pci bus to 33.33,vcore to 1.36v,
northbridge vcore to 1.45,.
remember if u go higher then increase the northbridge vcore to 1.55v.this val influences ur oc to a gr8 extent.also keep the temps in check.

utsav

damn busy...
Biostar mobos r great 4 ocing.i think its due to the ram which is a bottleneck 4 further oc

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Well you could have bought a stove if you wanted to boil eggs.If what you wrote is true then your maximum temperature 85C is way,I mean way....way too high.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Try these settings -

CPU Vcore - 1.4v (set in BIOS)
VDIMM - 2.1V
VMCH - 1.3~1.4V
Memory divider - 533MHz
Memory timings - 5-5-5-15 2T
Also if you can set TRfc = 40 should help in improving stability.
I havent seen the Biostar P35 BIOS so cant tell you exactly what to do.
Remember, the E2160 is based on the newer revision cores ( like G0 for quad and dual cores and M0 for 2Mb dual cores) and they dont need too much voltage with it.
anyways, try the above mentioned settings are revert back.

^^^ i think in ur case the mobo is the main bottleneck for oc.though Intel P35 chipset is a good oc'er but ur mobo i think is not that good.
transcend rams r generally good oc'ers to.i hav managed to run my 667MHz ram @ 867MHz.

try the following:
set fsb to 357mhz,ram to 714,pcie to 100,pci bus to 33.33,vcore to 1.36v,
northbridge vcore to 1.45,.
remember if u go higher then increase the northbridge vcore to 1.55v.this val influences ur oc to a gr8 extent.also keep the temps in check.
1.4V on VMch is more than enough for 400~450 FSB you need more than that only when doing ~ 500+ FSB

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ i've seen that when oc'ing a quad u need bout 1.55v for the vMCH to hit anytrhing above 380 for P965 else the pcie bus speed gets reduced to x1.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ dont hav much experience in oc'ing P35 chipset based mobos.hav oc'd mainly P965,630i,650i and 680i based mobos.

OP
axxo

axxo

99.9% Idle
Thx hellgate & darklord...

I set fsb to be 357 & ram frequency 714....

thats a very good hint..i never thought i would cross even 340 as 334 gives continuous beep.

now the temp @ idle is around 58c
speed 3.21 ghz :D
cpu core voltage 1.408

i will post my bios snaps soon..so that you guyz can get more clear picture..

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
drop the vcore to 1.325 and see if u get a stable oc.also ur idling temps r high.do keep the temps in check.ii get max temps of 58-60c on full load @ 3.4GHz.

OP
axxo

axxo

99.9% Idle
Ok this is what i got in bios

*img170.imageshack.us/img170/3764/07022008144pt4.jpg

have no idea whats FSB Termination Voltage and (G)MCH Voltage..it gives no result regardless of change i make(possible values are 1.35,1.45,1.55 for both)
Memory Voltage can be change from 2.0 to 2.80

& here the possible Memory frequency that i can set

*img170.imageshack.us/img170/8383/07022008145tp0.jpg

finally dram settings

*img522.imageshack.us/img522/4923/07022008146gx5.jpg

drop the vcore to 1.325 and see if u get a stable oc.also ur idling temps r high.do keep the temps in check.ii get max temps of 58-60c on full load @ 3.4GHz.

when i reduce volt any further system starting to give blue screen error and restarts..when set to auto it goes till 1.7..so i better off with 1.408

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@axxo

Nice purchase and good OC for sure apart from the Temps :(

anyway, few question I wuld like to ask :p if u dont mind...

Whats the MAX FSB u can archive without touching the vcore
Whats the MAX FSB u can archive without touching the RAM settings and vcore ??

For value RAMs try not to cross 2.1v as for RAM voltage... but without proper cooling :p try not to touch the vcore and tell us whats the stable point and temps u can achive with ur OC !!!

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
@axxo try the following ram timings.sud work for transcend.
4-4-4-12.
also try reducing the vcore from 1.408.its kinda too high for fsb of 357.i did 357 @ 1.335v.try setting vcore to 1.375v and see.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
It seems this motherboard has a serious vDrop issue,this might be the reason he had to set such high vCore for only 3Ghz.

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
FSB ???
you mean vcore right ?
Infact thats an interesting thing, hey axxo, whats the vdroop like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom