Big Hard disk Problem....Pls help me soon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipak15

Broken In
I just bought a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB today..I was having Samsung 40GB hardisk...I told the engineer in d shop to make 160GB hardisk primary master and 40GB hard disk primary slave....He put jumpher in 160GB at 1st pin and in 40GB put the jumpher at 2nd pin...I checked there my both the hardisk got detected...while OS was in 40GB samsung hardisk as primary slave and an empty 160GB seagate hardisk as primary master.

when i started my PC here at home...n was thinking to install windows xp on new 160GB harddisk and move all my data frm 40GB to new hard disk...and then make 40GB hard disk as a single partition by deleting old partitions...

But I was shocked wen double clicked my F: of 8GB partition on 40GB hard disk...it displays the messge..."Disk is not formated.Format it now? Yes No"
...i clicked No....i was wondering wats this now??? :blink: :(

as i dont know much abt bad sectors....i tried to recover my data frm this partition...getdata back for NTFS ...but was in vain....Getdataback shows lotts of error...n finally failed....

Then i tried to format the partion...but windows failed in formating it...displaying message...formatting failed...then frm disk management i deleted this extended logical F: ...and again started formatting frm there...after 40% of formatting it rapidly goes to 100% n finally displayed me a msg...formatting failed again :( :(

i tried CHKDSK F: /R ,,,,but it displays msg
The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives. :( :(

i tried to use HDD Regenerator, victoria etc....but no1 is detecting that F: partition.... infact these s/w displayed only 31GB capacity of Samsung hard disk...instead that it was of 37.31GB capacity as displayed in disk management..... but here 1 thing again very surprising.....

F: is of 7.81GB ....so if is damaged....then the total capcity shud be (37.31-7.81) = 29.5GB ...but above s/w shows it of 31GB....??? wats this now??

plssssssssssss help me ...wat to do....i did not installed windows OS on new 160GB hard disk and moved data frm old hard disk to the new hard disk ...because of this problem....plssss help wat is actually this problem???hw to resolve it???? do i install windows on new 160GB hardisk and then delete all the partitions on 40GB hardisk???do after that when reformating the 40GB harddisk as single partion ...that F: will be recovered and in turn ...37.31GB single partition ...can be gained????

plsss reply me soon....

B

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I am sorry to put the bomb this way, but if you would have checked with the forums first, prevention would have been done:
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106610
Speak to your engineer and see if you can WD.

OP
D

dipak15

Broken In
I am sorry to put the bomb this way, but if you would have checked with the forums first, prevention would have been done:
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106610
Speak to your engineer and see if you can WD.

i hve seagate barracuda 7200.10 160GB HDD...but it is fully detected...problem is my old samsung HDD's one extended logical drive is now not wrkin as i mentioned earlier...

so wat do i talk to engineer...??? :( ...even i m not able to figure out exactly wat's d prob is????...bad sector or sumthing else??? :(

plsss help...

Talk to Vendor. He will rectify it ;)

i hve seagate barracuda 7200.10 160GB HDD...but it is fully detected...problem is my old samsung HDD's one extended logical drive is now not wrkin as i mentioned earlier...

so wat do i talk to vendor...??? coz new one is wrkin fine...if suppose old HDD is failed totally...then i have a point to talk to d vendor...but only a single drive is nt wrking....

...even i m not able to figure out exactly wat's d prob is????...bad sector or sumthing else??? :(

plss help..

The place frm where i bought is v far n crowded :(...n i hve to again carry my CPU cabinet there ...but that will be a last resort...

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^..

Y u want to carry ur whole cabinet jus to rectify ur HDD ?? Jus open ur cabinet, its not much of a hassle, un screw the holdings of the HDD connected to the frame in the CPU and remove the power cord as well as the data cable (if its a PATA hdd, then u will hv a broad cable and if its SATA u will hv a red color thin cable).. :)

Also, make sure tat u do not hv the "doomed" 7200.11 model of seagate wich is goin ka boom everywhere adn not even the firmwares can rectify that glitch.. :)
------------

IF u cant do any of the above, jus tell ur engineer (basically those are NOT at all engineers, jus lay men who hv been taught these simple h/ware stuff..) tat u want a WD, chances are that he knes abt the doomed seagate drives,a dn jus trying to sell it to u ON PURPOSE... so jus say NO, take ur HDD back and giv me a WD hdd... :)
--------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
D

dipak15

Broken In
^^..

Y u want to carry ur whole cabinet jus to rectify ur HDD ?? Jus open ur cabinet, its not much of a hassle, un screw the holdings of the HDD connected to the frame in the CPU and remove the power cord as well as the data cable (if its a PATA hdd, then u will hv a broad cable and if its SATA u will hv a red color thin cable).. :)

Also, make sure tat u do not hv the "doomed" 7200.11 model of seagate wich is goin ka boom everywhere adn not even the firmwares can rectify that glitch.. :)
------------

IF u cant do any of the above, jus tell ur engineer (basically those are NOT at all engineers, jus lay men who hv been taught these simple h/ware stuff..) tat u want a WD, chances are that he knes abt the doomed seagate drives,a dn jus trying to sell it to u ON PURPOSE... so jus say NO, take ur HDD back and giv me a WD hdd... :)
--------------

Cheers n e-peace...

Thanks ...but I did not understand ...y u all saying to exchange the hard disk.....the new hard disk wrkin fine...n i did nt yet partitioned it...also i do not have 7200.11 which i mentioned earlier also....i hve 7200.10 ......

problem is with my old 40GB samsung's one extended logical drive of 8GB ....which is not accessible....it shows drive is nt formatted...format it now...when tried to format....window fails to format the drive.....i repeat ...problem is in my one of the extended logical drive of 8GB in old samsung 40gig HDD...not in my new 160gig Seagate barracuda 7200.10 HDD......plssssssss help me ..........

plsss help me soon anybody..pls

Last edited:

aswin1

Journeyman
I think the only way out is to delete all partitions on the Samsung HD and try to format it as a whole. Use some BootDisk as it is easier done in DOS.

OP
D

dipak15

Broken In
I think the only way out is to delete all partitions on the Samsung HD and try to format it as a whole. Use some BootDisk as it is easier done in DOS.

ya ...actually ..i hve to install windows on new HDD ...n want dis old samsung 40gig HDD as single whole partition....do whole formatting works??

m afraid ...if delete all partitions and format the whole samsung HDD ...might be coz of d problamtic part...formatting failed...n my whole of the drive becomes useless....instead i was thinking to merge all d wrking partiton n format that merged wrkin partition as whole...so as to atleast use wrkin part of my old HDD...n leave d problmatic logical drive as it is......pls reply m i correct or to do the former partion ..i.e to delete all partions and format as whole??

Finally...i installed windows on new seagate 160gb HDD after dat transfered all data frm old samsung 40gb HDD to new seagate HDD using windows of seagate HDD ....then i deleted all the partitions on old HDD including the problematic extended logical drive and windows partion.....then reformatted all the disk as a single partion and gained my lost 7.8gb space finally *forums.techarena.in/images/smilies/smile000.gif

but lost my 5gb data on dat old problematic partition *forums.techarena.in/images/smilies/sad00000.gif....neway thnk god...nt much wrried of data loss....coz they all r multimedia data ...nt ne imp data *forums.techarena.in/images/smilies/smile000.gif... thought dat was a collection of arnd 2yr or so *forums.techarena.in/images/smilies/sad00000.gif

neway thnks 2 all 4 ur helps *forums.techarena.in/images/smilies/smile000.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom