Big Broadband Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Just wondering, do the comps _need_to have internet ?

What we do in our college is... we have 2 different networks. 1 for internet and 1 the local lan.

Whichever PC needs access to internet, he needs to request it and only then he can log onto the network. It is easier to manage the comps in this way.

Else, every PC is connected in a LAN.

indian_samosa

No longer here..
I think if you route all the web traffic through 1 main server then its possible to setup a proxy thing on that server and limiting the bandwidth as well.Also you could allow requests from web specific ports only like 80.

But the problem in this case will be the main server will have to stay ON all the time and no one should be allowed to mess with it ...coz if it gets hanged all the net will go down.

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@Darklord......Yes they do need to have internet...
I was dwelling on a two phase solution:
1. Squid proxy
2. Open DNS

praka123

left this forum longback
squid is the perfect solution most institutions use.ur dept's allergy for Linux must be cured before they are treating others allergy!(no,offense!) ;)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
I have couple of solutions:
1.Get a leased line.
2.install site restriction software like Cyberoam client and block access to popular sites and also P2P clients.You can also restrict user activity by daily bandwidth quota and restricted download speed.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
so first all how big is your college network?
also i suggest you to make a server & router all traffic thought.
it gives better control over your network.
also one that computer can run on Linux, while others and be windows.

You can run a windows based proxy as well but it is only useful for smaller networks, if you have a larger network then you must choose a Linux server. intinally it may be difficult to manage but will be helpful in long run:)

Also linux doesn't require reboots as a windows based pc needs, for a home users its not a big thing but here if you reboot a windows computer, internet will stop working on every computer in your network, and this act may not be liked my many students:)

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Restrict users to use specific apps alone.
Yöü can do this in account.and also put a master admin password.
There are also many software to do these tricky job.even digit carried out a article..please refer

praka123

left this forum longback
cant they use a linux server with squid proxy :confused: all their problems will be over.contact Mangalore or Kannur LUG for help.even i know a person who does this one Mr.Sujeevan.His contact is below:
*s2s2net.netfirms.com/contact.html
your institution can use his service.
*s2s2net.netfirms.com/services.html

Status
Not open for further replies.