Best format for archiving videos

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
I have gathered a huge collection of camera recorded videos, movie DVDs, VCDs, TED videos, other ripped videos, etc in a wide array of formats. I want to convert them in a uniform format primarily for saving space. The requirements are:
1. should be common format (not some obscure or uncommon format)
2. should be playable on a normal pc without requirement of graphic card
3. conversion should be easy through an with a easy to use software
4. should compress optimally without too much compromise on quality
5. possibly should be able to encode subtitles in the container

I don't need HD format. I don't need multiple sound channels. I don't need to preserve chapters in DVDs.
Based on my bit of googling and search, I feel mkv container may be best suited for me.

Suggestions and recommendations please for both video format as well conversion software.

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
yes .mkv format is best for you.As it reduce size of some video having format like .avi , .wmv etc without any effect on quality.
so convert all videos to .mkv format & use FORMAT FACTORY as a Converter.

Gauravs90

geek........
You can use handbrake to convert videos in x264... as it's the best format currently available.....

OP
shivkumar

shivkumar

>>>>>Monkey Power
thanks for the reply .... I tried to convert a ripped movie file using hand brake (avi to mkv)... the size increased from 750 MB to 910 MB. Going to try format factory next

RahulB

Journeyman
MKV is the way to go. Please have a look at this before going further with your conversion

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/149241-video-encoding-beginners.html

digit.sh

Journeyman
MKV is the way to go. Please have a look at this before going further with your conversion

yes .mkv so convert all videos to .mkv format & use FORMAT FACTORY as a Converter.format is best for you.As it reduce size of some video having format like .avi , .wmv etc without any effect on quality.

^mkv is not a format, its a container. AVI, h264(which we call mp4), etc are the compression algorithms or "formats" in more informal sense. Quality/compression depends on compression algorithms, not the container.

I suggest h264(mp4). It will give you relatively better quality at lesser filesize/bitrate. But remember, it may require graphics card/integrated graphics card to play. My old p4 machine (with intel 845 chipset) could not play them. And, some dvd players may not play mp4 format, though almost all newer players can indeed play them.
For transcoding, I recommend Handbrake. If you get not so good quality from handbrake, do not discard it immediately. Most of the opensource and proprietary transcoders(like handbrake, ffmpeg, miro converter, and many proprietary softwares) make use of x264 encoder library(which is an open source implementation of h264 algorithm). And trust me, x264 is the best. Handbrake uses it too. Tinker with the advanced options in handbrake. Most important is the "8x8 transform" option. You should enable it. And do 2-pass encoding instead of 1pass. It takes more time, but quality will improve a lot.:wink:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^mkv is not a format, its a container. AVI, h264(which we call mp4), etc are the compression algorithms or "formats" in more informal sense.
.AVI is a container. .MP4 is also a container. H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC is the codec. MP4 is the container used for H.264 video.

You're right on everyhthing else though.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
shivkumar: u can try changing the bitrate to reduce size & use x264 or H.264 codec as suggested above.

mkv is the best :cool:

.AVI is a container. .MP4 is also a container. H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC is the codec. MP4 is the container used for H.264 video.

You're right on everyhthing else though.

correct...there are many containers available as given below Digital container format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

smithshane

Right off the assembly line
yes .mkv format is best for you.As it reduce size of some video having format like .avi , .wmv etc without any effect on quality.

Although MKV is a nice choice, personally i prefer using mp4 for its widely used. almost all players and devices can recognize this format.

smithshane

Right off the assembly line

Yes, MKV would be a not bad choice, but personally, i would like to convert my media file collections to mp4 files, just for its popularity on various players and devices.

Theodre

In the zone
Yes, MKV would be a not bad choice, but personally, i would like to convert my media file collections to mp4 files, just for its popularity on various players and devices.

Mkv is the best alright!! But in the future if you want any of them in the a mobile phone of yours, then you should prefer MP4 with x264:) Maybe future proof??!!?? Go for handbrake or format factory :) But if you are into .mkv then you can go for the *www.makemkv.com/download/Setup_MakeMKV_v1.7.9.exe But there is no compression method but hassle free conversion of DVD to .mkv and then you change it to the .mp4 with format factory in order to compress :) Or you can rip with handbrake and then compress to .mkv (both should be different format so first rip in .mp4 and the convert and compress to .mkv in format factory or vice versa :))

But this is about ripping from a source DVD to a format :)

Top Bottom