BeSt DvD WrItEr

Status
Not open for further replies.

premsharma

In the zone
Eazy said:
The Liteon 165H6S is a LightScribe writer like I mentioned - this costs 1K more then the regular writers.

If I burn same lot of discs the LG burns it a bit faster than the Liteon and when I check its quality with CDSpeed the LG burned disc shows a better result. I also confirmed the superior reading capability of the LG with commercially pressed media.

I have burned over 2 hundred Moser 8x media at 12x with no coasters in my BENQ 1640. I have checked the burn quality after completion with CDSpeed and I have not seen an unacceptable loss in quality caused by the burning of the 8x MBI media at 12x.

I have flashed modded firmware for my BENQ and Liteon which allows me to increase the burn speeds over the media's rated speed - I got these from Links in the CDFreaks forums.

I dont have the patience to burn at 4x :)

LightScribe then fine. I can't take chances of burning at higher speeds, as I use writing for games. I have no experience on BenQ. Ofcourse cdfreaks is the place where I also look for these things

Ch@0s

In the zone
premsharma said:
Who are original manufactures? Like I heard Pioneer makes OEM for 2-3 companies and Light ON for another 2-3 companies including sony etc

Duh... there are two sony drives in the market...the 830A is made by samsung and the GW-120A(not sure of exact model no) is made by Optiarc which is a Sony-NEC consortium.

navino87

In the zone
Can any one please mention the model of latest DVD Writer from sony and liteon which does't have lightscribe...

Eazy

Journeyman
navino87 said:
Can any one please mention the model of latest DVD Writer from sony and liteon which does't have lightscribe...

The newest Liteon models I think are the LiteOn 18A1P and 20A1P DVD-Writers - but I could not find them locally. What they sell here are older models. The Lightscribe models have the same name except that the "P" in the model name is exchanged with an "H"

The Liteon writer I bought last week has a manufacturing date of Feb 2006 and the unit was sealed !!!

shantanu

Technomancer
Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony Sony

:D :D :D :D :D

Eazy

Journeyman
shantanu_webmaster said:

Do Sony make any of the writers themselves ? I have read at CDFreaks that some of the Sony writers are made by Liteon and some were by BenQ and other makers too supply to Sony.

shantanu

Technomancer
YOU KNOW ONE THING :

SONY IS THE BEST I EVER USED.. and it makes no difference to me that who makes it, and THE PEOPLE WHO CRITISIZE Cannot make SONY DIE

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Will definitely recommend a LiteOn (i.e. if you consider yourself as a poweruser and flash modding doesn't give you angina.)
It is the best community supported drive due to its resonable costs (checkout cdfreaks.com). Thus you'll find a range of features (not possible without a great deal of trouble in other brands) like RPC1 mode (region protection circumvention : google for LtnRPC)
I myself own one - gives excellent quality burns (though i may say it is somewhat slow as compared to other brands, but then you can always use Omnipatcher to increase burn speeds by hacking the firmware/ i.e. overspeeding).You can even add fancy multi colored LEDs for burn indication in selected drives (check codegurus, chemical brothers for hacked firmwares)

CPRM circumvention strategies may be possible in the near future (They say it can be done already. Damn Sony for DRMing our drives, ooh do I hate DRM)
Stay away from lg, benq if your pocket allows it and samsung is a definite NO.
Get a plextor if you can (better write quality and features, no frills , out of the box drives that just work great ) - worthy if you have deep pockets and want a good quality product with all the latest features though Liteon is definitely recommended if you are a control freak and hacker wannabe. If you can wait a few months, liteon is gonna relese 20x dvdrws in jan2007. May be available in a couple of months in India.

Eazy

Journeyman
@Free Radical ..... sadly Plextor have stopped produvtion of CD/DVD writers....

*wesleytech.com/plextor-exits-cd-dvd-markets/

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
But then, I use a LiteOn. Plextor is (was?) good but for us budget users LiteOn is the best. It loves even those unbranded shady dvds.You can feed it almost anything I got a good deal at Lajpat Rai 50 Writex blank DVD-R for Rs.625, and the write quality is amazing. 1year passed, no flaws.
much said, I almost sound like a fanboy.

Sadly LiteOns are not ubiquitous like lg, samsung and sony. They are driven by the power user market of US and dont have a good marketing programme here in India. Thus they seem to be lacking support.
LG support is good. But then beware of duplicates when the markets abound in a certain product/brand.

medpal

Medic on Call!!
Ch@0s said:
LOL newer plexies are rebadged benqs. Get either a benq 1650/55 or LG H10N/H12N/H42N (not 20N/22N) or Asus 1608sp3 which is a rebadged Pioneer 111D.

i will second chaos (pardon my wrong typing but m used to this one)

i will prefer lg / benq

torrent08

Broken In
I m planning to buy a LIteon for my desktop, after reading all these posts..!! ..:)but do tell me which Model number I should buy..:confused:
i hope Liteon will last for long.....how much the avg cost for it..Is Benq 1650 more expensive .? I am from trivandrum..hope service centres are tere..
initially i thght og getti a dvd/cd combo drive, but relised tat it cant burn dvds..
Will i be able to use the liteon model for my laptop ? [ i will be getti a 2 year old Toshiba laptop, which has a dvd/cd combo drive only]..hope i can fit the Liteon cd rite to the LAptop too.??

sorry , i am a Novice ..pardon for my blunder :(, if any in above posts..take care & thanks everyone..:)

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
@Torrent
No u wont b abl to fit the same drive into Laptop as it has got a totally different body and shape of interface, though what u may do is u mi8 buy an external casing for the drive and use it as an external drive(Its my idea as we do it to a HDD).
Correct me people if i m wrong

Eazy

Journeyman
I read in a forum that the new Liteon model 20A1P is available at Lamington Road Mumbai for 1900/- .... this drive is getting good reviews.

I can't tell you which is the best, but as far as my openion is concerned you should go for SONY.
I am using SONY DRU-820A for last nine months and I didn't face a single problem. Yes Sony is not making DVD writters but remember one thing
__________________"IT'S A SONY"._________________________
Now You can get information about various DVD burners at www.sonyindia.co.in

Eazy

Journeyman
parimal_xp2003 said:
but remember one thing
__________________"IT'S A SONY"._________________________

.... Current Sony DVD Writers are anything BUT a Sony :D

shashank4u

Youngling
bought today ..liteon 160p6s ..@1950 in agra ..cant find any other model
working good ...
just wrote two dvds of techcom .
time taken around 10 min/dvd..@8x
is the time good or it shud be less than 10 min..

premsharma

In the zone
shashank4u said:
bought today ..liteon 160p6s ..@1950 in agra ..cant find any other model
working good ...
just wrote two dvds of techcom .
time taken around 10 min/dvd..@8x
is the time good or it shud be less than 10 min..

Speed is ok man. [8-10 minutes].

digiFriend

In the zone
Lite-on has bought BenQ cd/dvd unit.

Buy BenQ DW 2000 or Lite-on LH-20A1P (without Lightscribe)
BenQ DW 2010 or Lite-on Lh-20A1H (lightscribe)
(previous version of SONY were OK, but beware of Sony DRU-830A, rebagged of Samsung SH-S182D. samsung is not reliable brand in CD\DVD writer)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom