Best Cloud Storage for storing Pictures

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think this will be the apt section for this thread.

So, I have 110 GB of pics now.. from all sources.. that are important.. I just don't want to rely on external hdd now. So was planning to keep a copy of pics on some cloud service.

As per this article on verge, Flickr seems to the best option considering following requirements:

1. Free
2. Enough space (1 TB)
3. Reliable (backed by Yahoo!)
4. Desktop app, etc.

So before I put pics on cloud storage I wanted some opinions..
1. Is cloud storage a good idea for pics?
2. Is Flick good?
3. Can I trust cloud storage for pics?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I never thought of having a back up online. So never searched for it. Going by the article, flickr is a good option and in fact only option if you're looking for free.

I guess you're not gonna sending that 110GB of pic to recycle bin after uploading. You're just gonna have a back up on cloud, right?

1, 2 & 3 - Everything should have some drawbacks. See if you are okay with that. What worse could happen?
- Overnight they make it a pay service and you can't access your photos unless you pay? - Pay and access or delete the account and use your HDD back up.
- Someone hacks and circulate the photographs online? - Don't upload photographs that are so personal.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes nac. I agree on your points.

Yes, cloud storage will only be as a secondary backup. E-hdd will be first. I wanted to free my PC hdd by uploading
to cloud.

Flickr I believe has free ad supported and has a pro version. So less chance of it discarding free version.

But, what that means is in most probability Yahoo! sells our data.

But yes, barred few sensitive pics, I have no choice but to trust them. Can't take risk of losing precious memories.

Any other thoughts?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have lots of backups of my pics of 100+ GB ...which takes lots of space :(

my family pics and artistic ones are backup in my home PC hdd, in my laptop hdd and my external hdd.
I have copied a low version of all pics to copy.com
Also all artistic ones are in original format in flickr 600+ pics in flickr

satinder

DELHIITE
Flickr is good as own by yahoo.
Yahoo do not degrade its business like others.
There is much more on Flickr than storage.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
But, what that means is in most probability Yahoo! sells our data.
Can they do that? Sell our pictures and pocket the money? Or did we give rights (when clicked "I agree") to them to do so? That would be a bummer...

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Flicker is good.

But in video there is a limitation to see only 3 min of video. I can download the original video though, so that's not bad just for archival purpose.

Right now sorting and filtering the pics to upload on flickr.

Top Bottom