Best book for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
If you want to enable root account in ubuntu .

Use sudo su -
Type your password
Then at root prompt type passwd
enter the new password for root
confirm password

Now you can login as root. ( only to command line in ubuntu , i guess )

This works through all the ubuntu versions including latest kubuntu 8.10, I tried. Please note for sudo su - there is " - " after that. su is switch user , if no user is specified it drops to root user. The " - " is to drops to deafult shell of that particular user ( here root ) , so that it reads the .profile .. etc files in the home folder. Thus the default settings for that user is loaded.

If ambika can post the error occured , with the commands , I can help you out.

And if the prompt is $ usually for normal user, for root user the prompt is # . In case you are in doubt issue who command.

$who

Last edited:
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
This works through all the ubuntu versions including latest kubuntu 8.10, I tried. Please note for sudo su - there is " - " after that. su is switch user , if no user is specified it drops to root user. The " - " is to drops to deafult shell of that particular user ( here root ) , so that it reads the .profile .. etc files in the home folder. Thus the default settings for that user is loaded.

If ambika can post the error occured , with the commands , I can help you out.

And if the prompt is $ usually for normal user, for root user the prompt is # . In case you are in doubt issue who command.

$who

here the error............

ambika@ambika-desktop:~$ sudo su-
[sudo] password for ambika:
sudo: su-: command not found
ambika@ambika-desktop:~$

i have ubuntu 8.10..........:confused:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
here the error............

ambika@ambika-desktop:~$ sudo su-
[sudo] password for ambika:
sudo: su-: command not found
ambika@ambika-desktop:~$

i have ubuntu 8.10..........:confused:

Do not use duo su

Just use

Code:
su

Enter the password and then you should be able to see a # symbol indicating root privileges.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
@ ambika there is small mistake in what you did . There is a space between su and " - "
it is su - not su-.

The difference between su and su - is mentioned in my last post. Remember su is switch user. The command format is su - username. You can switch as any user, not only as root, provided you know the password.

Last edited:
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
@ ambika there is small mistake in what you did . There is a space between su and " - "
it is su - not su-.

The difference between su and su - is mentioned in my last post. Remember su is switch user. The command format is su - username. You can switch as any user, not only as root, provided you know the password.

Now it is working ,thanks .
Is there exist several commands to do a specific thing??

vinayasurya

Journeyman
sudo is a way to gain privileges of other users for a temporary period. Suppose you want to exectue a command with the privilege of the root, you want the root permission only the time you exectue the command then sudo is much safer then using the root account. In the recent ubuntu / Debian releases the time period is 15 minutes i believe so that system remembers the sudo password.

If you want more details look into /etc/sudoers file and use man page to understand it.

@ ambika so essentially what I suggested and one suggested using sudo are two ways of doing the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
Can someone tell me ........What are the features or applications are available with LINUX which is not in WINDOWS??

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Can someone tell me ........What are the features or applications are available with LINUX which is not in WINDOWS??
is it very hard to use run a Google Search?

In general, Linux is more stable and secure than windows.
It has a power shell which is missing from windows

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@ambika:

First of all have a glass of water and Relax.

Linux noob? No Problem. We all were noobs at same time.

First of all select a Linux Distro. Do not get embrottled with various Linux distribution. Select ONE definite distro. Take the following test:
*www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?lang=en

Take its suggestion and choose distro. Personally I'll recommend Ubuntu to a beginner.
Now sit down and play with Ubuntu. Do Random Stuff. If you have problems post in the forum.
Visit this site:
*psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php
*amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
Personally I found them very useful in the beginning.

In the beginning, you as such do not need any books. The internet has various resources.

As for IDE, which programming language do you want?
And what problems did you face with Geany?

Actually All! No None! No it depends! No...... :D

You can get reasonable alternatives for most software. As for features it depends what you use your OS for.

Last edited:
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
@ambika:

First of all have a glass of water and Relax.

Linux noob? No Problem. We all were noobs at same time.

First of all select a Linux Distro. Do not get embrottled with various Linux distribution. Select ONE definite distro. Take the following test:
*www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?lang=en

Take its suggestion and choose distro. Personally I'll recommend Ubuntu to a beginner.
Now sit down and play with Ubuntu. Do Random Stuff. If you have problems post in the forum.
Visit this site:
*psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php
*amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
Personally I found them very useful in the beginning.

In the beginning, you as such do not need any books. The internet has various resources.

As for IDE, which programming language do you want?
And what problems did you face with Geany?

Actually All! No None! No it depends! No...... :D

You can get reasonable alternatives for most software. As for features it depends what you use your OS for.

Hey ,not like that ............mine distro is ubuntu 8.10
ur this links nice ....thanks for that......*amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html

i think ....problem not with geany ........problem ..is that ....i don't get an idea.....
how to set in my new linux environment .....also file system is really new for .........where specific documents goes or retrieve ??

thanks for reply
:p

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hey ,not like that ............mine distro is ubuntu 8.10
ur this links nice ....thanks for that......*amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html

i think ....problem not with geany ........problem ..is that ....i don't get an idea.....
how to set in my new linux environment ....

thanks for reply
:p

Setting up "Linux environment" for programming in Ubuntu?

Simple...

In Ubuntu:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

.also file system is really new for .........where specific documents goes or retrieve ??
Could you rephrase this question?
By Default Ubuntu uses ext3, there is also ReiserFS and other file systems.
Look for their Wikipedia article for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom