Best Alternate for Fraps?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey guys, I am having a but of trouble in choosing correct screen recording software for recording gameplay.

I tried a couple of alternates like BandiCam, MSI Afterburner, but either quality is not good or my CPU cant handle the load :(
I like the quality of BandiCam better but I want to check with other softwares too.
in afterburner I need to record at 50% quality and at 1/2 frame only.. anything else it I get framedrops in recorded video.
Which ones do you use for gameplay recording Paid or Free no problem?

Config : i5 2400, 8 Gig RAM, MSI 6850 Cyclone.

Seeing your config, I don't think there should be frame rate drop while recording. MSI Afterburner worked best for me. You can use uncompressed recording, but the file size will be very large and a fast disk io is required. Try using one of the codecs listed in 'VFW compression'. There are specific hardwares available for screen recording, don't know much about them though.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Limitless - stop doing such moronic acts .. read forum rules first. Consider this as a warning.

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
You could try Action! by mirillis. If you want a freeware, you wouldn't get the quality required for pro recording....

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Hey guys, I am having a but of trouble in choosing correct screen recording software for recording gameplay.

I tried a couple of alternates like BandiCam, MSI Afterburner, but either quality is not good or my CPU cant handle the load :(
I like the quality of BandiCam better but I want to check with other softwares too.
in afterburner I need to record at 50% quality and at 1/2 frame only.. anything else it I get framedrops in recorded video.
Which ones do you use for gameplay recording Paid or Free no problem?

Config : i5 2400, 8 Gig RAM, MSI 6850 Cyclone.

best is too use inbuilt game engine demo recorder . with fraps gfx quality also drops. best is link your output to a tv tuner card and record it externally like via a secondary pc or something...

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
regarding dxtory, I went directly to their website, didn't check the link provided by limitless, hence I didn't realize there was a issue with the link.

as far as recording is concerned I am not sure what is causing the framedrops when using a codec, I should check with other games, cause this problem seem to be major when recording in BF3.

@Noas: no dude.. I dont have a spare PC to do the recordings :p

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
regarding dxtory, I went directly to their website, didn't check the link provided by limitless, hence I didn't realize there was a issue with the link.

as far as recording is concerned I am not sure what is causing the framedrops when using a codec, I should check with other games, cause this problem seem to be major when recording in BF3.

when you record i think the gpu does 2x work, its like you are its outputting stuff from one end ( your game and display ), and inputing stuff from the other side to the screen capture system.

if there was some way to use a different gpu for screen capture i think that could solve the problem, but this is just speculation... i really dont know how this stuff works.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

Have you checked to see if there is an option to limit the framerate?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Last time I checked it, the "software" was a bit confusing.. let me try again

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ Last time I checked it, the "software" was a bit confusing.. let me try again

Is there any problems with MSI Afterburner ??

I prefer MSI Afterburner over Fraps. Interface is very simple & you can select the compression type & quality of recording than using an encoder.

Top Bottom