Belkin N600 Dual Band Router - Feedback from current users

neo_natasha

Broken In
Hey there everyone. Does anyone out here personally use the Belkin N600 Dual Band Router ?(Latest version, the piano black one).

I am planning to get one of these. Retails for 3500 and I read quite a lot of reviews. Lots of mixed responses. No reviews by indian users. It would help if routers came with an Indian terrain Signal Strength :p (Read signal through brick and mortar walls)

The reason I chose this one was this had 4 internal antennae and I was assuming more the number better the reception through walls. (Im planning to keep mine inside a room covered with walls).

Santhosh

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@Santhosh,

I recently bought a Wi-Fi router. So I had to do a lot of research to find the best router with large signal strength. So I understand your situation.
I agree about mixed responses. I checked Amazon UK and USA site and realized that Belkin users have faced a hell lot of problems. So I decided not to get Belkin models.

If possible, get TP-Link models. Check their reviews on Amazon and you'll know what I'm talking about :).

khmadhu

change is constant!!
I am using belkin N300 (dual antenna) from past 2 years.. till now no problems..

if u want more signal strength.. go with the one which supports custom firmware like dd-wrt or tomato.

OP
N

neo_natasha

Broken In
@webgenius. Thanks for your input. I checked out TP Link and TL-WR1043ND seems to be the best router they have as of today. And it has spectacular reviews in amazon and everywhere else.

@kmadhu thanks for your suggestion. As suggested by webgenius TL-WR1043ND supports dd-wrt as well.

I got a few questions now. The belkin N600 was a dual band 600 MBps router which also had 4 antennae , so theoretically this should be having a way better signal strength compared to TP link right ?

Anyways I am no belkin fan or fan of any specific brand. Which ever gives the strongest signal I am open to buy it as long as it is within 4k here. No plans of getting them from abroad.

EDIT : TL-WR1043ND costs 3550 + 5% tax so I guess this would be fine.

Last edited:

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
I got a few questions now. The belkin N600 was a dual band 600 MBps router which also had 4 antennae , so theoretically this should be having a way better signal strength compared to TP link right ?

Anyways I am no belkin fan or fan of any specific brand. Which ever gives the strongest signal I am open to buy it as long as it is within 4k here. No plans of getting them from abroad.

EDIT : TL-WR1043ND costs 3550 + 5% tax so I guess this would be fine.

TL-WR1043ND has 3 detachable antennae. So you can replace them with higher dBi omni-directional antennae for better throughput. However I feel the stock firmware should be more than sufficient looking at the customer reviews.

I had shortlisted TL-WR1043ND and Asus RT-N16 for my everyday use. I ended up buying Asus since it has better range than TP-Link and it has a built-in download manager.

In short, for routers under 6k range, I found Asus RT-N16 to be the best, immediately followed by TL-WR1043ND. If you have the buck, get the Asus model. You'll never regret later.

OP
N

neo_natasha

Broken In
6k is out reach at the moment. Guess I have to settle for the TL-WR1043ND and will try to get hold of some new antennae. Thanks again.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
6k is out reach at the moment. Guess I have to settle for the TL-WR1043ND and will try to get hold of some new antennae. Thanks again.
Get TL-WR1043ND and see if the throughput is as per your liking. You can install DD-WRT and get download manager to download content directly to your USB drive without the need of PC, and it increases your transmission range too.

OP
N

neo_natasha

Broken In
Right. Downloading content to a USB drive wont be necessary, but the transmission range is a definite must. The only reason im so paranoid about transmission range is I want to have a wired connection for my primary PC which happens to be inside a room. Rest of the stuff that will be sharing the connection will be a PS3, ipad2, iphone and a laptop. (and a smart TV if possible)

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Do update your router firmware as soon as you get it. I remember reading in the reviews that the throughput has increased a bit for few owners after updating the firmware. I believe the stock firmware after upgrade will be more than enough for your requirement.

Top Bottom