Beginner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aby.exe

Right off the assembly line
Beginner's Thread part-II

Hai,My name is Aby James from Kerala.I am new to this forum.I am just a beginner in computer and technology.I am in budding stage only,so my questions may sound stupid.

I thought I would create a single thread for all the questions i ask and keep updating with more questions.

Qusetions-1
(All answered)
1.)What is LINUX?
2.)Why is it so popular?
3.)Is it true that no virus infections will affect LINUX?If so how?
4.)can we incorporate XP and LINUX in same harddrive?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions-2(To be answered)
I need a net connection,so asked the following questions.
1.)Which is the best way to connect to the net?
2.)What are the things that happens when we are connecting to the net,connected and when disconnecting(i mean how is it connected,the stats and stuff)
3.)I am a hardcore online gamer,and i want an unlimited,uninterupted(That is i never want to get disconnected while gaming) and the fastestISP.
I live in kerala.

Thank you

:)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hai,My name is Aby James from Kerala.I am new to this forum.I am just a beginner in computer and technology.I am in budding stage only,so my questions may sound stupid.

I thought I would create a single thread for all the questions i ask and keep updating with more questions.

Hi, welcome. Please use normal font. Don't write in bold.

1.)What is LINUX?
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
*www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=Linux&gwp=13
2.)Why is it so popular?
Bcz,
its FREE, to use it u don't need to PAY.
Its open source. Means, the sourcecode for the distro is provided with the OS, and u can tweak the functionalities as u like.
I guess other OSS frnds may provide some light here.
Again use google :"Why Linux popular"
Its not total true. There are viruses for Linux, but Linux is not widespread as Windows so hackers/crackers don't get fun compromising Linux PCs, as a result no. of threats for Linux is very low.
Yes u can. Make a NON-DOS partition in ur HDD and install Linux in that partition.
Even b4 installing u'ld like to taste it, go 4 any live CD options, Knoppix, Ubantu etc. are some famous Live Distros.

Njoy.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^^^^^^
That means write to the left. Why have you centered the questions. Its kind of lame. And don't bold it also.

Hai,My name is Aby James from Kerala.I am new to this forum.I am just a beginner in computer and technology.I am in budding stage only,so my questions may sound stupid.​

Hi. Welcome to TD Forums. Hope you enjoy it here. :)

OK. Just make sure that you will keep visiting this thread :D

1.)What is LINUX?
[SIZE=-1]Linux is the kernel of a Unix-like operating system (OS) originally created by Linus Torvalds, the father of Linux.
Thus Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint, etc. use this kernel for their operating system.
The difference is that the Linux kernel is open source, ie. it is completely free and its codes are available to the public for them to make changes they feel neccessary, unlike the Windows or the Macintosh kernel which is propreitory
and cannot be changed easily. (Hence you pay for original Windows, while Ubuntu, Mint etc are free)

[/SIZE]
2.)Why is it so popular?
It is popular because, as I said earlier, the kernel is open for everyone to see and make changes that they feel. Also, Linux based OSes are feature packed and provide almost every alternative to windows application, that too free. And lastly, many, like you, want to explore the wonderful world of Linux.

Yup, there are hardly any viruses on the Linux System. (and those present for Linux do damage that can be reversible). This is mainly because Windows is still mouch more pouplar then Linux. And thus, Windows falls as a victim of its own success as it is more feasible for hackers and programmers to make viruses for Windows OSes than for Linux. Even so, Linux is far more stable and safer than XP :)
Yes you can. There are many methods of using both XP and Linux on your HDD. However, Linux uses a different file system (ext2,ext3) etc. than that of Windows (which uses NTFS, FAT, FAT32). Thus, when using Linux, you can access all the partitions on your HDD, but your XP cannot access the Linux partition.
Thank you
You are welcome.:)
Next time align your posts to the left and dont use bold fonts. ;)

Re: Beginner's Thread part-II

Next time ask your questions in your post itself.
1.)Which is the best way to connect to the net?
I didnt quite get your Qs. There are mainly 3 ways to connect to the web
1)Dialup (modem)
2)BroadBand (ethernet router)
3)Wireless(or WiFi, for laptops)
I'd recommend Broadband anyday as it is faster than dialup, minimum downtimes and secure.
In India, broadband is given by many ISPs like Sify, Reliance, Tata Indicom, Airtel, BSNL, etc.
2.)What are the things that happens when we are connecting to the net,connected and when disconnecting(i mean how is it connected,the stats and stuff)
Check out this
*www.dataman.cc/tips/How does your computer connect to the Internet.pdf
3.)I am a hardcore online gamer,and i want an unlimited,uninterupted(That is i never want to get disconnected while gaming) and the fastestISP.
I live in kerala.
ISPs in India are not upto the mark. You want get everything you have asked for, but then again, they are not too bad either. You'll have to wait for some Kerala users to throw light into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom