Before I install Ubuntu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FilledVoid

Hi all,
As some of you know I will get my DVD copy of Ubuntu thanks to Praka123. Anyway before I install Ubuntu I have a couple of questions. I will repost my configuration just for the sake ofthe thread.

AMD 4400
Asus M2N MX – SE
2 GB Ram
2 HDD (80 GB SATA and a 40 GB PATA )
Tech-Com TV Tuner Card
Ace External 56 k Modem
Sony 720 DVD-RW
Nokia 6681 (I know this isn’t part of my computer but I would like to know if I can sync its contacts and stuff)

Now both my hard disks are partitioned into 2 NTFS Partitions. I have already backed up anything I need.

Now Ive been reading up on Linux from one of the guides which was linked on this site. Introduction to Linux, A Hands on Guide: Machtelt Garrels

The guide shows many partitions that I should make but Ive seen other threads only showing some which should be made. COuld anyone clear this aspect for me.

Here is what the guide says,

Data partition:
normal Linux system data, including the root partition containing all the data to startup and run the system; and

Swap partition:
expansion of the computer's physical memory, extra memory on hard disk.

Further it mentions the use of the following also .

A partition for user programs (/usr)
A partition containing the users' personal data (/home)
A partition to store temporary data like print- and mail-queues (/var)
A partition for third party and extra software (/opt)

What would you recommend my settings to be. Please ntoe I prefer not to have a dual boot system . maybe with some other distro of Linux but not Windows (a rather bold step :) ) But I have learned that if you want to learn stuff usually its best to not be given alternatives !

Can I have two distros with a dual boot configuration? I've been constantly nagged by my cousin to Install Gentoo for some reason :)

Is there anything that is obvious which I should download which I will need after the installation. Im using the Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon DVD install.

Thanks in advance.

praka123

left this forum longback
Tech-Com TV Tuner Card -this may not work.it needs tweaking.

you can dual boot or triple boot etc no probs.GRUB is the boot loader boot menu.
there is no need for such partitioning.you need to make a partition of 10GB(6GB is enough) for "/" partition and a swap partition of 500MB or less.dont care for old books which are mainly for 2.4 series of kernel.

after install get the plugins etc gstreamer,xine,flash,java,win32codecs etc downloaded and installed.you need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to enable universe and multiverse repositories.aptoncd saves if u have low bW.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
A partition for / and a swap is mostly enough, with sufficient space in /
(Like around 15 GB or more, in case you download things on it, or install applications later)

Swap must generally be slightly more than equal to your RAM size.
(Can be lesser if you plan on not using your Hibernate feature on it)

Alternatively, if you wish to switch a lot of distros in the future, you can assign a separate drive for your /home but its not mandatory you do this ... Just a / would be good enough. Creating /home separately helps in back up and jumping between distros.
(As it becomes a separate partition, you don't have to format it each time you try a new distro, or such)

OP
F

FilledVoid

Thank you . What File system format should I choose I see quite a few. Any recommendations with that?

praka123

left this forum longback
ofcourse -"ext3" and if u want enjoy gentoo-try dual booting sabayon linux too.it got all those drivers bundled as per @mehulved.

praka123

left this forum longback
even with gutsy dvd,if u update using apt or synaptic,new updates(bug-fixes etc like windows update) will be shown.so,its upon u to apt-get update or not with low speed connections. :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Your card, "Techcom Tv Tuner (SSD-TV-670) Chipset: Saa7130HL" is well supported by the saa7134 drivers bundled with Linux-Kernel 2.6.x.x.

A modprobe saa7134 would get it working I s'pose.

OP
F

FilledVoid

Well this thread definitely clears alot of doubts :) . Will post my experience as a new user once I finish installing it . Now to check out more information about AptOnCD.

Can I download this stuff from an Internet cafe onto my USB stick and then install onto my system through Ubuntu. The Internet cafe runs WIndows and is infested with Viruses :/

Last edited by a moderator:

praka123

left this forum longback
viruses does not effect UNIX/Linux.download the packages,gutsy asks for from cafe in usb aptoncd will help u resolv this.btw doesnt bsnl dataone broadband available in ur exchange?most major exchanges have dataone in kerala afaik?

OP
F

FilledVoid

viruses does not effect UNIX/Linux.download the packages,gutsy asks for from cafe in usb aptoncd will help u resolv this.btw doesnt bsnl dataone broadband available in ur exchange?most major exchanges have dataone in kerala afaik?

But for this I would have to take my CPU (won't I have to )to the Cafe. They won't allow me to download packages like that since they charge by the MB :( . I believe Rs 3 per MB or something.

There is BSNL dataone a our exchange. I wasn't here the first time ti came and the capacity somehow got full or somethign like that. They had to install something to allot more connections. Over the past three months they have been sayign it might be there next week etc ... Well finally they did get it upgraded or whatever. Now Im waiting on the Modem. I should have just said I shall get my own I guess :/ .

OP
F

FilledVoid

Ive applied for the Rs. 250 one. The person told me that I could change my plan type any moment if I chose too. Ive heard stories that although they say its free in night that they somehow actually end up charging you in some cases based on some calculation of total quantity downloaded. I believe some of the threads are on this forum itself.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I have same Mobo CPU combo. The Onboard Graphics CARD DOESNT GET DETECTED. [With Ubuntu 7.04 so no idea about 7.10] On Debian. MINT, SUSE it doesnt get detected. I had already tried them all.

Also before you start install. Go to BIOS --->POWER --> Disable APIC and ACPI or Kernel Panic errors will come up. [I am not sure why it causes the problem but this thing fixed it so DO it :D]

OP
F

FilledVoid

Also before you start install. Go to BIOS --->POWER --> Disable APIC and ACPI or Kernel Panic errors will come up. [I am not sure why it causes the problem but this thing fixed it so DO it ]

By doing this am I putting my system in any kind of risk? And I tried booting my system using Ubuntu 5.04 and it hit the messaghe you just gave me. Kernel Panic !

What is the outcome of disabling APCI and ACPI?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Those are power management features which I personally dont think are of any importance and havent lost any functionality / faced any probs in windows after disabling them.

I disabled it and only version of Linux that ran smooth was ubuntu. as it has support for my new 8600 GT :D
All others doesnt support the onboard graphic or any 8 Series card out of the box. You have to go dirty with installation which I think not entirely easy if you are doing it from Terminal. [GUI wont show up till updated drivers get loaded].

ps: Dont install AMD64 version of Kernel. Stick with x86 SMP [A suggestion I received from Ubuntu Forums and I folowed it.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom