Battlefield 3 discussion!

Tachyon1986

In the zone
^^His card is awesome for the game. I play in Full HD with GTX 260 Sonic Core 216. Moreover, how am I able to play on any server in the world with a pathetic 512 kbps connection is beyond my knowledge..

My friend, you'll do equally well with a 256kbps connection. As I've mentioned on other threads, all that matters is distance (hops) to the server. I'm on a 512 kbps line too (normal speed is 2mbps before the usage cap) and I get 70ms~ to Singapore normally.

Even if you have a 4mbps line, you'll still clock around 250-400ms to Germany. So there!

There is an alternate way to get lower pings to European/Any servers. It's a process called "Tunneling" , and you normally have to pay for it. It lets you have a very direct route to the servers , so the ping is reduced drastically.

For example :

Non-Tunnel route to Hamburg (Germany)

Chennai -> Bangalore -> Mumbai -> Dubai -> Tel Aviv -> Frankfurt -> Hamburg

Tunneled Route to Hamburg (Germany)

Chennai -> Mumbai -> Hamburg

Of course, even though there are only 3 hops now , ping will still depend on the network performance between any two points. Let's assume ping between Chennai and Mumbai servers are 30 ms. Mumbai and Hamburg have a ping of 80 ms between them normally. So, your overall latency is now 110 ms. But, assume that the traffic gets congested between Mumbai and Hamburg, causing the ping between those two servers to be 200ms. So your overall latency is now 30+200 = 230 ms.

Here's an example of a Tunnel provider :

*www.laglessproxy.com/WebCommon/lagless/faq.do

I've used them, but I didn't really see any major decrease in ping.

Last edited:
It is a general misconception or fallacy amongst many uninformed people that more the connection speed less the ping.No connection speed has nothing much to do with ping rates.Even a 64kbps connection can get 10-20 ping.Its all about the distance.The above person has described it correctly.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a general misconception or fallacy amongst many uninformed people that more the connection speed less the ping.No connection speed has nothing much to do with ping rates.Even a 64kbps connection can get 10-20 ping.Its all about the distance.The above person has described it correctly.
Agreed. :)

*4.bp.blogspot.com/_VV4Jq7i2npc/TGVbX9-5a2I/AAAAAAAAAAU/DxXVdByxbTY/s1600/revolution1.jpg

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I know about the above things.. I said pathetic because even in India I get very, very poor pings when I test it with Pingtest..

Update.. This is my ping to a server where I played with RCuber for like 30 minutes..

*www.pingtest.net/result/58395747.png

And this to my favourite Air-Maps server with 1500 tickets in Washington..

*www.pingtest.net/result/58396043.png

Tachyon1986

In the zone
I know about the above things.. I said pathetic because even in India I get very, very poor pings when I test it with Pingtest..

Update.. This is my ping to a server where I played with RCuber for like 30 minutes..

And this to my favourite Air-Maps server with 1500 tickets in Washington..

*www.pingtest.net/result/58396043.png

Looks like your route to Singapore is a congested / poor one. Can't do anything about that. Where are you connecting from btw? Also , please note that PingTest doesn't necessarily always give you an accurate representation of the ping. It's possible that Pingtest's servers themselves might be slow , happened to me many times.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

I got a ping of 150 for that server yesterday..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Looks like your route to Singapore is a congested / poor one. Can't do anything about that. Where are you connecting from btw? Also , please note that PingTest doesn't necessarily always give you an accurate representation of the ping. It's possible that Pingtest's servers themselves might be slow , happened to me many times.

I'm connecting from Himachal Pradesh.. The weather here was very rough yesterday, Thunderstorms & heavy rain. It affects the telephone line sometimes..

Tachyon1986

In the zone
I'm not sure if Airtel has coverage in Himachal Pradesh. Do you have any friends in HP who play BF3 using Airtel? Might wanna ask their pingtest speeds.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
No, we only have BSNL as an ISP over here. And, no friends here who play BF3. There is one in Gurgaon but he's on a freaking 10 Mbps unlimited from You Broadband :p

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Oh yeah you can..

[GSN] 24/7 Conquest : Air Maps : 1500 Tickets : NFO-CHI

*battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/b9817d56-bde5-4758-a80f-245478ea2b8c/GSN-24-7-Conquest-Air-Maps-1500-Tickets-NFO-CHI/

I dont know why mods are making fun of me as i barely know anyone here.
Or sorry i maybe mistaken if that poster was meant for someone else.:)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Installed this yesterday (on holi)
wow...simply amazing graphics (eye popping)
the jet fighter plane level is actually feels i m flying the plane myself(simulation)
hats-off to EA for such a brilliant game..

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Ok..completed this
Awesome Experience
some +ve & -ve points

+ve:
1.Graphics is Marvelous (eye candy).Water Reflections & sunlight specially
2.Sound effect is awesome
3.A.I is good
4.Missions are Hard even on Normal Difficulty
5.Runs good even on Entry-Level system
6.The Interrogation cut-scene of BlackBurn is splendid

-ve:
1.Campaign is very short (far shorter than COD:MW3)
2.Weapon Detailing is not good (Crysis 2 weapon detailing was excellent,even COD:MW3)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ok..completed this
Awesome Experience
some +ve & -ve points

+ve:
1.Graphics is Marvelous (eye candy).Water Reflections & sunlight specially
2.Sound effect is awesome
3.A.I is good
4.Missions are Hard even on Normal Difficulty
5.Runs good even on Entry-Level system
6.The Interrogation cut-scene of BlackBurn is splendid

-ve:
1.Campaign is very short (far shorter than COD:MW3)
2.Weapon Detailing is not good (Crysis 2 weapon detailing was excellent,even COD:MW3)

Started MP or not? add me to your BattleLog friends list "RCuber"

EDIT: BTW... I played on the server that hellknight mentioned .. I had 300+ping , it was surprisingly playable.. I was a sniper and got couple of kills, close range combat was also ok.. will test high ping servers for couple of more days.

Top Bottom