bruce_batman

I am coming for You Joker
i just bought a new battery for my laptop, and i was looking how to keep it healthy. one website says u should not discharge it till 0 and other says you should what to do plz guide me

sandeepsingh

Broken In
Reduce Screen Brightness

The biggest battery drain on any modern portable electronic device — whether it’s a laptop, smartphone, or tablet — is the display. Reducing your screen’s brightness is a simple way to squeeze significantly more time from your laptop’s battery.

Have Your Display Automatically Turn Off

If you step away from your laptop for a few minutes, its screen will still be on, draining power. You can set more aggressive display power settings to have the laptop dim and turn off the display when you’re not using it.

Disable Bluetooth and Other Hardware Devices

Your laptop likely has a Bluetooth radio and may even have an infrared (IR) port. All of these devices use battery power simply by being enabled and powered on. You can save battery power by disabling them when you aren’t using them.

Hibernating is better than standby mode on a laptop.

Although placing a laptop in standby mode saves some power and you can instantly resume where you left off, it doesn't save anywhere as much power as the hibernate function does. Hibernating a laptop will actually save more power as it will completely shut down itself.

Slim Down Startup Programs, Use Lighter Software

To save power, make your computer do less in general:

Don’t use a screensaver. They’re unnecessary on modern displays and will drain your battery to do nothing useful when your display could be off and saving power.
Run fewer programs in the background. Examine your system tray for programs you don’t need and uninstall them or disable them and prevent them from automatically starting with your computer.
Avoid maxing out your RAM. If your computer fills its RAM and needs more memory, it will move data to the page file on its hard drive, and this extra hard drive usage can drain battery. This shouldn’t be a problem on modern computers with a decent amount of RAM. If your laptop’s RAM is full, try to make more RAM available — close programs running in the background or even upgrade your laptop’s RAM.

One sure way to extend the battery life when you use your laptop at home or wherever it’s convenient to plug-in, just remove the battery and use your power adapter to plug into an outlet.

HauntedGuy

Broken In
@sandeepsingh : I think he's talking about battery lifeSPAN not battery life.
Lifespan is how long the battery will last i.e number of charge discharge cycles or estimated number of years before it can no longer retain any charge and needs to be replaced. Correct me if I misunderstood your question.

To answer the question,
1) Most laptops these days use Li-ion batteries and in spite of the myths that clog forums everywhere, tests have shown that these batteries do not have the so-called "memory effect".
This means that your battery will not wear out much faster by re-charging it before a complete drain, so you can charge as and when you like without having to waiting for it to reach 0%.
2) Li-ion batteries degrade at a rate proportionate to their voltage. I.e 100% charged battery degrades MUCH FASTER than a 50% charged battery. This is the most important thing to keep in mind when thinking about preserving battery lifespan.
3) Heat makes the battery wear faster.

The second point is the most important. Nowadays, some manufacturers provide a battery life extender software(samsung and lenono in some laptops) that concentrates on this point. If you have such a software, USE IT! Lenovo battery manager has a setting to stop charging battery at 80% and switch to AC power. This nearly DOUBLES the battery lifespan. A battery constantly charged at 100% degrades almost TWICE as fast as a battery at 80%.

If you dont have such a software (you cant get a third-party software without a custom BIOS as battery charge settings are in the BIOS and not OS dependent) then you can take these measures to extend battery life.
-if you can, only charge the battery to about 80% and then disconnect charger. You can charge less, but that will give you less time on battery. 80% is a good compromise between life and lifespan of battery. If you know you will not be near a charger for long, then you can charge to 100% on that day.(you can also do this using the battery manager software if you have it.

-If your laptop can run without a battery, you may choose to charge the battery to 80% and then remove it when you're at home. You can carry the battery around for when you need it. remember, a 100% charged battery degrades faster even if its removed from your laptop.

hope this helps :)

i72600k

The Physicist!
If you are using your laptop at home, simple remove the battery and run your laptop on main power supply. Don't use the battery as far as possible, this will help your battery to remain healthy. My 5 year old Lenovo laptop's battery still gives me around 5 hours time on 80-90% charge under idle conditions.

Top Bottom