Batch rename files.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Please suggest a good windows freeware that can batch rename selected files, given the new names are stored in a .txt, .csv or .xls file. Also, it should be able to edit/delete certain parts of the file's name as required and should support wildcard characters (? and *) for quick editing of certain strings of letters.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see this review:
Best Free File Rename Utility
in comments someone posted this:
I have tried most of the renaming utilities mentioned here, but i settled on rename master which combine ease to use interface and powerful renaming features , it has all renaming features, especially i like how text instructions in a way that is very informative and self-explaining, but one feature that i found very useful for me was the ability to import CSV list which i exported from excel as csv file of pre-defined filenames that i prepared earlier and then apply them to my existing list of files, it saved me a lot of time and effort and also it let manipulate strings the i want the filnames to be.
the renaming schemes are easy to figure out even for non-experienced users

i personally use Bulk Rename Utility but it does not have ability to import names from csv/xls files however for everything else it is great.

OP
SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
see this review:
Best Free File Rename Utility
in comments someone posted this:

i personally use Bulk Rename Utility but it does not have ability to import names from csv/xls files however for everything else it is great.

Thanks for the link. :)
I tried Bulk Rename Utility and Fast File Renamer and found that Fast file renamer has a cleaner GUI but lesser renaming options.

You can import .csv or .txt for files to be renamed in Bulk Rename Utility. Just click File->Import Rename Pairs.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Lupas Rename is available as well.
Lupas Rename 2000

Well, I must say, I have tried a quite a few renaming utilities myself and found this one to be the best. And to think that it hasn't been updated in ages.
Only problem with this one is that it feels like a command based utility where you have to type out everything, there are very few options that can be selected from GUI. If that's not a problem, this one is the best

Top Bottom